Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Strobel coached the D at OSU, correct? So we didn't need Miller but we needed Strobel? OK got it. It's culture. So we have a d-man coaching the power play and 2 d-man coaches on staff and the PK sucks. 57th in the nation of 60 teams.

I haven't heard the same about his personality, but since I heard it from someone else I don't put more weight into yours or the other person's take.

I also never stated TG is or should be on the hot seat. But, I also believe that in year 3 you should start to see improvement.

I hope you are right and I am wrong in this case, because losing sucks.
    Sorry, the Tony on the hotseat part was just a more general comment in response to others around the interweb who are making the suggestion. I get why they are but I don't think it makes sense. Barring some sort of catastrophe I think NCAA hockey coaches probably need five years under the (soon to be changed) more recent recruiting circumstances before you axe them.

Strobie is 100% gung ho, and that is certainly going to rub the more cynical of us the wrong way at times. He isn't wrong though, I think you do need to buy in 100% to be successful. You gotta believe and get the people around you to believe. That all goes to stuff like the name on the front being more important, and generating what we used to call "Program wins" around here. Strobel probably helps in this regard. Whether he's effective, or this staff, or this combination of coaches is the one to restore the program remains to be seen, but I'd think they are only about halfway to where they want to be so far.

It's frustrating but patience is required. I think if the Badgers can somehow get to the break where they are now (2 games under .500) they will be in pretty good shape. This is a very young team and this year was always going to be about trying to get better as fast as possible and closing the gap between themselves and where a veteran team like OSU is by the end of the year. Going to be a difficult task, but getting a road win at the Blue Weasels this weekend would be a huge plus.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all the Badger faithful! I've got the wolverine in the oven right now @ 500 crisping the skin, then down to 350 to finish him off.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all the Badger faithful! I've got the wolverine in the oven right now @ 500 crisping the skin, then down to 350 to finish him off.
        You too, Tim.

I'll second that to all my friends and enemies. No wolverine here. A turkey and a small ham for my gentile in-laws if they want 😀.

I put a gopher on the grill just to burn it up.
        Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM.
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
          You too, Tim.

I'll second that to all my friends and enemies. No wolverine here. A turkey and a small ham for my gentile in-laws if they want ��.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, even the jerks who don't get our sarcasm.
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            You too, Tim.

I'll second that to all my friends and enemies. No wolverine here. A turkey and a small ham for my gentile in-laws if they want 😀.

😀😀
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Hope everybody enjoyed their Family and Turkey and had a wonderful day yesterday!

But it's OVER! Back to business!

Interesting that last year we had about 11 different line ups and combos by this point in the season and this year, except for injuries obviously, I think Tony has really only changed things up once. Linus is out, J. Dhooghe is out, and The Finnish Hammer is out. Big Road weekend. Let's Go Red!
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Tony should study my Avalanche's power play. They're bangin` away at 33%. That's unheard of in today's NHL.

3 games below .500 and falling. Boys, they aren't going to dig themselves out of this. You've got to score more than one goal to win and you can't depend on our goalies to win games.

Listening to the game, I really thought they had this one.
                **** it. I hate to see the upcoming attendance.
                Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-23-2018, 09:12 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Loser loser loser loser loser. Losers lose.

Comment

If we had an average power play we win. Unfortunately we suck on the power play and lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Good teams win close games. Bad teams lose close games.

gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Berry played great tonight which means he will struggle tomorrow so this will be a Michigan sweep.

I'm that optimistic!

Comment

Im so disappointed in this team. They "supposedly" have better talent than 1 and 2 years ago, but we're worse. Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm giving some tix to my daughter and friend, and selling some to a neighbor. I'm investing in some Wild games like I did in the Eaves era. It's a lot more entertaining and I stay with MCR Jr in Rochester.😣

Comment

• Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

We're just young. Blah blah blah.....

I guess we do technically get a point and it counts as a tie but 2-6-1 in last nine games isn't going to get it done.

I think I heard 6-17 on Friday nights since last year. Wow.

Last edited by WiscTJK; 11-23-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              We're just young. Blah blah blah.....

I guess we do technically get a point and it counts as a tie but 2-6-1 in last nine games isn't going to get it done.

I think I heard 6-17 on Friday nights since last year. Wow.

Would sure be nice to have Weissbach back soon. His speed and skill are missed.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion, so just to be clear: --> A TIE IS NOT A LOSS. <--

A tie is not a win either, it's a tie.

The 3x3 is the same as a shootout. It's not a goal against for Jack, there's no points for Hughes, Norris and Lockwood. Who, incidentally, are two Soph 1st rounders and a Jr. 3rd rounder that IMO are probably going to win 90% of these 3x3 deals they play in this year. The conference standing point is the only thing that's at stake, and I'm really not worried about winning the B1G conference, so who cares? A tie on the road is a good result. Even if they lose tonight, if they win at home, they win the comparison and that is all that matters.

As for how the Badgers played, I thought they did several good things that heretofore they have been unable to accomplish. The game started with Michigan controlling play and having all the momentum in the first 5 minutes, which has usually meant disaster, but the Badgers held it together kept working and slowly took back control of the puck and generated some chances of their own. A great play by Zirbel and Messner in the neutral zone led to a goal. Rather than let up and give up a big chance after a goal, as we've come to expect, they played a good shift after. But just when I thought they were going to get away, they took a penalty. Oh no! Here we go again! Except the PK was excellent and instead of a collapse, they gained momentum. This is the way the game went, when things were going bad and Badgers made mistakes, rather than breakdown, they played better.

While they did not have good puck control and turned it over way, way, too many times -- on a night where they didn't have their A stuff with the puck, they stuck together, hustled, blocked shots, and played very well without the puck including a huge PK in overtime. I thought it was really encouraging.

Jack just stayed in the net and let the puck hit him. He had a couple of big stops, but nothing too miraculous. Just a solid, consistent performance all night. I thought Gorniak had his best game as a Badger. He is catching up to the speed of the game at this level, and starting to use his own considerable speed to make things happen. Zirbel gets his first point of the year. K'Andre was really good quite a bit of the game, and not so good at times. We just need more of the really good from him all the time. It wasn't pretty at all but the boys did a lot of good for themselves. Perhaps it will carry over, and they'll handle the puck a bit better and close out some of their good chances tonight. Or perhaps not, but in any case a tie is not a loss. Sheesh.

The PP was still awful. I'm not sure if it was because of personnel being tired, or just frustration at the lack of production, but I noticed the last PP Tony just went with the two regular F lines. Baker-Dhooghe-Gorniak followed by Seamus-Zimmer-Johnson.

Agree 100% that we really miss Linus and his speed. It just makes a big difference in the lines and the amount of pressure the Badgers generate throughout the night. Hopefully he gets back for next week.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X