Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I know they are a touch more satisfying when you win them!

But yeah, unless you're gonna run the Zamboni which I don't want them to do, they tend to be ugly.
    Years ago I remember seeing the 'Boni come out and take 2-3 swipes down the middle before the shootout. Not laying new water, just cleaning up the snow.

I'd be OK with the slight delay of 5 minutes before a shootout to get clean ice down the middle of the rink.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

JFC, my daughter & wife are at the game, good guys currently up 3-2.
      I'm at Cap Ice where the Caps are down 4-0 in the 1st. Haven't seen a hockey win this year. I am the jinx, I am out.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Rob Andrenga is the man. He doesn't pull any punches when he's talking puck

Comment

• Wow! Starting December scoring right with 8 goals!

Comment

Well, that does it. No more Bucky Pucky for me.

If anybody in the North America needs their team to lose (for entertainment purposes only) 😉 I'm for hire. I show up they lose.

How did Daniel look? Was he that bad that he got yanked or was it that "we need a change" thing?
            Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-01-2018, 10:27 PM.
            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              Well, that does it. No more Bucky Pucky for me.

If anybody in the North America needs their team to lose (for entertainment purposes only) �� I'm for hire. I show up they lose.

How did Daniel look? Was he that bad that he got yanked or was it that "we need a change" thing?
              The Finnish Hammer was ok, probably not as sharp as last night but the 5th goal was a bad one. Came in from the point off a slow developing draw with no one in front and he just blew up on it. Turned out it was a good move to yank him because it lit a fire under the boys and they dominated the game the rest of the way. PSU with only 5 SOG in the third even with the EA at the three minute mark. Just a great finish by the Badgers to go out there and take the win.

8 goals from 7 different Badgers with Will Johnson getting a pair. Kalynuk with a big end to end goal after not recording a SOG Friday night. Big, Big, Win and a 4 game unbeaten streak. Strong weekend of hockey -- too bad there weren't more folks in the stands to see it.

Told you guys they were getting better!
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

What a crazy game. I’m very pleasantly surprised.

I tuned in and had to leave it after 3-1 Bucky. I was shocked to check in and it was 5-4 ped state. But to their credit Wisconsin really hung in there. Great job.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I have to admit, when the Badgers lost their 2 goal lead and PSU went up 5-3, I couldn't stomach it anymore. I turned it off. Penn State is a high end, pedal to the metal team and they caught the Badgers being lazy and standing around the net puck watching. I was frustrated. Lebedef was great Friday, but I think he was just frustrated on Saturday. Berry coming in was just a "we need a spark of some kind", and it worked. It certainly woke the D up, and sent the message to the boys from Coach G that, "Hey, I'm not going to let our goalie fall on this sword for your lazy D." The D absolutely snuffed out the PSU attack after that.

That being said, three things I look for moving agead: 1) Avoiding silly penalties, PK, PK, PK, and finding SOMETHING/ANYTHING on Power Plays. Have to keep hammering that point home. The refs are super picky this season so far and giving them a reason to send people to the bin puts too much pressure on a super young team. 2) It sucks to talk about PW this early, but series against Denver, Ohio St, Notre Dame (2), and PSU loom large. 3) Getting Weissbach back in the groove and strong play from Lebedeff. Weissbach has been SORELY missed on the attack and it's evident.

Overall, I'm ok with where the team is at. We need to get some momentum and keep no-loss streak going. The time is now for Granato to get these guys moving forward with on-ice results. The talent is there...time to keep pushing and earning points each game.

Comment

Even aside from the goals during the comeback, it was encouraging to see a handful of odd-man rushes and quality scoring chances.

The coaches will have plenty to criticize about the five goals against, but I'm glad they matched up well with PSU's high tempo, high shooting play. (And not just matched up with... They beat 'em!)
                    Last edited by WiscDC; 12-02-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      The Finnish Hammer was ok, probably not as sharp as last night but the 5th goal was a bad one. Came in from the point off a slow developing draw with no one in front and he just blew up on it. Turned out it was a good move to yank him because it lit a fire under the boys and they dominated the game the rest of the way. PSU with only 5 SOG in the third even with the EA at the three minute mark. Just a great finish by the Badgers to go out there and take the win.

8 goals from 7 different Badgers with Will Johnson getting a pair. Kalynuk with a big end to end goal after not recording a SOG Friday night. Big, Big, Win and a 4 game unbeaten streak. Strong weekend of hockey -- too bad there weren't more folks in the stands to see it.

Told you guys they were getting better!
                      Did UW's play change when they switched the Hammer for the Fruit, or did it change when the PSU guy got injured and that screwed up PSU's chemistry? Whatever it was, they played great from that time period forward.

The attendance is puzzling now that we're in December, usually the attendance picks up once the B7 play starts. It does make me more hopeful for me to get great seats next year when I finally drop for some season tickets, God willing of course. I bought 4 tickets for the 2/9 tilt with OSU to do a double with the women playing Kato @ 2. Got 4 tickets 3rd tier first row.

I gotta say, seeing the men put up 8 yesterday on the tube and the ladies 9 today in person puts a guy on quite the hockey high. The lads have a 4 game unbeaten streak. Let's stick it to MSU this next weekend. Green sucks.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Definitely have to take care of business against Michigan St. With huge series against teams well above them in PW, this is a must win 4 -6pt series at home. There is zero reason this team cannot compete every weekend for points considering the talent they have. Beating PSU at their own game should tell them as much! This team can win...keep fighting, keep earning points!

Comment

I'll be honest, when they went from up 3-1 to down 5-3, I thought they would fold. Glad they finally were able to overcome the section of poor play when they gave up 4 unanswered goals. They outshot Penn State as well 36-25 which is a good sign. Now let's carry that thru to a third weekend and get a sweep....
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                            Stats after Michigan weekend 11/25

PWR 37th of 60
                            GPG 2.71 dropped another 10 spots to tie for 36th
                            GAA 2.86 moved up 6 spots to 30th
                            PP% 17.4% 35th dropped 7 spots
                            PK% 75.71% 53rd up 4 spots
                            Pen Minutes 15.36 stayed at 8th worst

bottom half of college hockey in every category..... Lots to improve.....
                            Stat's after Penn State:

PWR 24th of 60 improvement of 13 spots!
                            GPG 3.06 improved 11 spots to 25th
                            GAA 3.00 moved down 4 spots to tie for 34th
                            PP% 17.65 33rd improved 2 spots
                            PK% 74.32% 55th down 2 spots
                            Pen Minutes 14.19 improved four spots and at 12th worst
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Did UW's play change when they switched the Hammer for the Fruit, or did it change when the PSU guy got injured and that screwed up PSU's chemistry?
                              Can't say for sure but they only allowed 1 SOG the last 5 of the 2nd after changing out and 5 in the 3rd. Seems a little thing but Jack made a nice save on an awkward angle shot shortly after coming in and the boys seemed to get their feet under them again. I think you do have to credit Mersch's aggressiveness with getting them cranked up in the third. Hopefully Sternschein is ok. The way it looked I feel like PSU was maybe just gassed the last 10 minutes and the Badgers weren't. Being in great shape, being relentless, and rolling 4 lines all weekend can do that for you.

Mersch and his line have been really good at accepting their roles and making the most out of every shift. Says a lot about the character and work ethic of those guys that Tony will start them and play them against any line in any situation. Those guys are good and only going to get better as they grow into the college game. I've also been really impressed with the way Gorniak is coming along. That kid can flat out skate! And while his offense is still catching up to this level, he's creating more and more chances for himself and his line mates every week with his skates. When Linus gets back at 100% we are going to be improved all the way down the line up.

World Junior Roster should be announced sometime soon with Sean Dhooghe and K'Andre Miller both having a shot at being on the team. Would be great for one or both to make it, although it would mean that they likely would be gone for the Denver series, assuming Team USA makes the semi final. Although unless they name a Badger the Captain, that will remain a bit uncertain.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Badgers got a single vote in the polls this week. Movin' on up!
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X