Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge 198 - A New Season Begins...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 198 - A New Season Begins...

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    That. I think.
    Yes, correct. Scarlet, its no problem, I have no issue with explaining it. The part that Brent highlighted, and that St. Clown expanded on is correct.

The key is, your rate of return on an investment is not going to be a guaranteed number. If you go buy a mutual fund, there's no guarantee it will return 10%. It might return 0%, it might return 30%. You just don't know.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Yes, correct. Scarlet, its no problem, I have no issue with explaining it. The part that Brent highlighted, and that St. Clown expanded on is correct.

The key is, your rate of return on an investment is not going to be a guaranteed number. If you go buy a mutual fund, there's no guarantee it will return 10%. It might return 0%, it might return 30%. You just don't know.
      That's the part that worries me. You just don't know.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

What's funny is when I got my car loan last year, the bank was wondering about my low credit history. Not much credit activity in general, and my only other previous loan was 15 years prior, (when I bought my Jeep), so it was off the books/record. They were rather confused about that at first, until they realized I only buy what I can afford. I do use a credit card for things, but always pay the balance off every month.

I also pay a little more than the minimum on my current car loan, depends on how much OT I accrue (extra money) to get this current loan done with. I go anywhere from 5%-20% over the minimum monthly payment. I know I've shaved off more than a few months of the life of the loan.
          We do the same thing and make bank from Discover. Pay everything with credit card. Pay it off in full. Get cash back that you can then get gift cards with added money. We are up over 1400$ in free money so far.

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          Yeah, when there is little to no credit history, building up a credit history with rent, cell phone bill, etc showing on time payments, etc generally has to happen — it sounds like you at least have a credit score as a basis even though you may not have very many credit lines.
          lilnsl is having this issue right now. He is still looking for a real job and is <25. Most everything we do is bundled, has best price if bundled. If he gets phone by himself I have to pay way more and so does he. Same with a car loan- insurance more than doubles. So right now it is trying to score a credit card to build credit because the other way is WAY more expensive for all of us and not wise with his current job status.

Good Morning Lodge!

Comment

That's the part that worries me. You just don't know.
            That depends upon the investment, and how you treat it. If you buy a car on credit, and there's one of those common 0% or 1.5% financing deals, and you can buy a CD (certificate of deposit) for 3.7%, you'll make some extra money. It doesn't look as impressive, but it's a fairly safe investment with a state ROI.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                We do the same thing and make bank from Discover. Pay everything with credit card. Pay it off in full. Get cash back that you can then get gift cards with added money. We are up over 1400$ in free money so far.

lilnsl is having this issue right now. He is still looking for a real job and is <25. Most everything we do is bundled, has best price if bundled. If he gets phone by himself I have to pay way more and so does he. Same with a car loan- insurance more than doubles. So right now it is trying to score a credit card to build credit because the other way is WAY more expensive for all of us and not wise with his current job status.

Good Morning Lodge!
                If you can manage it and pay it off right away, it’s dumb not to spend every cent you can on a credit card with rewards to your liking.

People with little or no credit can get a secured card to start building credit — $300 down, that’s your limit. Tank of gas a month or so and pay it off right away, it builds history.

Another decent way to at least establish a score is to add as an authorized user on an account — doesn’t mean you have to give him a discover card, but as a user on it, it will affect credit history (positively in your case of paying it off consistently.)
                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Well, for the first time in my professional career I’ve given notice and accepted a new role — extremely excited about it.. a very nice pay increase and a better opportunity to grow professionally. New role will allow me to have a more concise customer base and longer term relationships.

Extremely hard leaving good people here, however I had to do what’s best for me — was just weird actually having it all happen now.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Been a pretty awesome week on my medical adventure. Got my eye exam done yesterday, all is great there, see ya next year. And today met with my PCP and we agreed to let me stop taking metformin to manage the diabetes (I actually jumped the gun and stopped on my own 2 weeks ago to see what happened, but I've stayed level for my glucose for the most part), and just have me control by diet and continuing what I've done. He was shocked at the weight I've lost in 2 months (30ish lbs), and my A1C went from 10.8 at dx to 7.3, just 6 weeks later (did an early test so I could work towards getting released to go back to work). I'll get that checked again in 3 months and see him again then too.

Honestly, while it was pretty disappointing at first, this was the wake up call I needed to make much needed lifestyle changes and getting myself in order. Finally back to my graduation weight, with hopefully some more to go. Feels good.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      If you can manage it and pay it off right away, it’s dumb not to spend every cent you can on a credit card with rewards to your liking.
                      This, but the minute you start carrying a balance and paying interest, you kiss all the rewards goodbye.

Comment

Good Evening, Lodge!
                        Originally posted by Skeeterman
                        Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                        "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          This, but the minute you start carrying a balance and paying interest, you kiss all the rewards goodbye.
                          Well, you still get rewards, they just don't offset the interest and bull****.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

People with little or no credit can get a secured card to start building credit — $300 down, that’s your limit. Tank of gas a month or so and pay it off right away, it builds history.

Another decent way to at least establish a score is to add as an authorized user on an account — doesn’t mean you have to give him a discover card, but as a user on it, it will affect credit history (positively in your case of paying it off consistently.)
                            He's on our Visa and DIscover- no point in having him be able to go to the market for us and not get cash back.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            Been a pretty awesome week on my medical adventure. Got my eye exam done yesterday, all is great there, see ya next year. And today met with my PCP and we agreed to let me stop taking metformin to manage the diabetes (I actually jumped the gun and stopped on my own 2 weeks ago to see what happened, but I've stayed level for my glucose for the most part), and just have me control by diet and continuing what I've done. He was shocked at the weight I've lost in 2 months (30ish lbs), and my A1C went from 10.8 at dx to 7.3, just 6 weeks later (did an early test so I could work towards getting released to go back to work). I'll get that checked again in 3 months and see him again then too.

Honestly, while it was pretty disappointing at first, this was the wake up call I needed to make much needed lifestyle changes and getting myself in order. Finally back to my graduation weight, with hopefully some more to go. Feels good.
                            Wow! good for you!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I think I have run a balance once in my life. That was when the bill fell behind the speaker and I didn't know it had come. If we can't afford it we don't buy it. We pay everything immediately even work on the house.

Comment

HHT!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                That depends upon the investment, and how you treat it. If you buy a car on credit, and there's one of those common 0% or 1.5% financing deals, and you can buy a CD (certificate of deposit) for 3.7%, you'll make some extra money. It doesn't look as impressive, but it's a fairly safe investment with a state ROI.
                                My short term investments have been beer lately. Last year, it was a $40 -> $250 sale, this year so far it has been 3 bottles at $40 per-> $300 cash (sealed the deal a couple weeks ago), $150 in trade (in progress). Have another 2 bottles are that in limbo for now, waiting to see the market value. Was going to buy the bottles anyway, and at worst, share/drink them. At best, make a little money off of them.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X