Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Maybe it's by design to clog the shooting lanes or something but I'm not a fan of NU getting pinned in its own zone during PK and EA situations. Many thanks to RIT for te wake-up call.
    agree, sooner or later with that much zone time to opponent is going to come back & haunt on scoresheet, as it almost did last night. as will all these 3rd period comeback Ws. Team needs to learn to build a lead & defend/ add to it.. not play tennis on scoresheet as we have been doing. Again, will comeback to bite sooner or later. On a positive note, Madden is a beast in front of opponent net, keep it up!
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

TJ Walsh commits to Northeastern http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...es-buccaneers/
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        our gain.. local Massachusetts kid. Congrats to him/ his family & to NU.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• pet Jeff Cox, NU gives 5 yr extensions to Madigan, Keefe & Smith.

Stability, its what the kids are looking for & hopefully will continue do us well, as a program.
          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Official release from the school only lists Madigan and Keefe. https://nuhuskies.com/news/2018/11/2...xtensions.aspx

Still an excellent move. Great for stability in coaching, leadership, and recruiting. A+ move by Konya
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Simply amazing how NU has become a model of stability over the past few years while the wheels seem to be wobbling on Comm. Ave. (especially the far end). Notwithstanding whatever Jason Smith's status might be, we're looking at a net positive for the program going forward, especially in terms of leverage to be used in the recruiting wars.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

now that the extensions are in.. & looking like a (early) mild December.. let's get that center ice video board in already. can't wait!

and while we are talking hockey, let's not forget the Women's squad & David Flint who has done an amazing job with that team. Top #5 ranking & they beat a strong Eagles squad, coming from behind & in OT, earlier this week. Nice getting that monkey off their backs. Well done. Men have 'Mack tomorrow, Go Huskies!
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                  Official release from the school only lists Madigan and Keefe. https://nuhuskies.com/news/2018/11/2...xtensions.aspx

Still an excellent move. Great for stability in coaching, leadership, and recruiting. A+ move by Konya
                  Are you willing to speculate is this an unspoken succession plan. Madigan about 60 when done and Keefe knows he has job? Does Keefe have an out for a HC job? Got to think in year or 2 the Maine and UVM jobs open up and they are better then Merrimack job and certainly and certainly a go getter like Keefe could make them big winners?
                  Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                    Are you willing to speculate is this an unspoken succession plan...Does Keefe have an out for a HC job?
                    I'd certainly agree that this is indeed an unspoken succession plan although I can't imagine that Jerry doesn't have an escape clause.

But with the caveat that I have absolutely zero inside knowledge, let me posit a couple of thoughts:
                    1. Let's remember that Madigan was a respected university administrator long before he became head coach of hockey; his ties to the university remain deep and spread far beyond the hockey program. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him get appointed to a top-level position unrelated to athletics in due course.
                    2. Jerry Keefe has found a true home at Northeastern. He likes the area, fits right into the Northeastern culture, and I think we can assume he's well-paid. That being said, I just don't see that he'd be willing to uproot his family while his kids are still in their growing years for anything but a top-level college HC job or maybe a pro offer that would be just too good to turn down.

Afterthought: Could it be that the Keefe extension was a pre-emptive strike to keep our Jerry away from Chestnut Hill should the other Jerry move on? If so, good move by Mr. Konya.
                    Last edited by Split-N; 11-29-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

courtesy Mike McMahon, tale of the tape

http://www.themackreport.com/news/ta...ortheastern-6/
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Pretty ugly goaltending so far. 5-1 12 minutes in. Two of the 6 were nice, the other 4 were pretty meh. Good job Huskies controlling the play.

Rough crowd though eh? What's up with that

Comment

9-1 Huskies. Ugly no doubt, but glad there were no serious (NU) injuries tonight. Gm at Lawler will be totally different.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

What was really ugly (unless my eyes deceived me) was Scott Borek stomping off at the end of the game and refusing to shake hands with the NU coaches. Not their fault for Bo starting an untested goalie against the #2 team in the league and having a defense that put two goals in their own net. Barring something else that happened out of sight, not the classiest move I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Barring something else that happened out of sight, not the classiest move I've seen.
                              I missed that & yes, pretty childish if indeed did happen. Maybe just a reflection of his team's performance & sending message to them?. Its not like NU was trying to run up the score.. we just had some bounces go our way early & gm went from there. The shorties, heck that hardly ever happen for us (usually the other way around). Some puck luck, some lackluster play by their D & our forwards capitalized. Anyway, good to see Ruck get some playing time finally. Didn't see a ton of shots but glad he finished the period strong.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Ouch..That was some ugly hockey..it's been at least 3 or 4 seasons since I can remember that many goals, of course a couple of ours we scored by MC's D. I streamed it and I was just hoping they would not get down and have to come back, which has been a issue this season. However, not tonight, in-spite of the hapless Warrior play, NU played pretty good hockey in all 3 phases especially on D! Transition was also good and that creates the kind of O we saw tonight. I will take it because the Minutemen are the real deal this year and we are going to need those points to stay close for late season match up. Usually we see parity in this league top to bottom, and I really think there are really no easy wins in HE ever. To their credit this was just a bad night for Merrimack, bad bounces in the 1st and bam you are down 5, too much to overcome for that team.

It was nice to see Jim and staff get the extension, I think he has changed the face of the program and the future is bright, now we have the stable coach, who can recruit blue chips and get them to the NHL. To bad they waited until he was 45 to offer him the post! I am loving the debacle that is imploding on Comm Ave and even Chestnut Hill, both of those blue chip squads can go pound sand a bit. The tides of this league are turning a bit and that's good for hockey and this league in general. The greatest college coaches are those without aspirations to coach at the professional level and I think we have that. What really makes me happy is that BC is only a few seasons from needing a new coach too, Jerry is 73 now! BC is stating to remind me of the Wolverines last few seasons under Red. You just can't do it anymore. Of course Red hung on till 77. Anyway nice job Huskies, look like they have Merrimack next week up in Andover and again after the break back at the barn, I don't expect either of those to be as easy. Next week could be chippy too!

Comment

Working...
                                X