Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Does anyone know what this is? Spam?

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Burgy back up with Sens.
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Hey Flag!

Got a question for you? Out side of goal camera goals and potential 5 minute majors, what are the parameters for the refs to go to the monitors to look at a review/replay. Flashback last night! BG scores an apparent goal with no whistles but then Cornell calls timeout to challenge and in so doing the refs goes back to the monitors and overturns the apparent goal due to a BG offsides (right call by the way). Then Cornell scores an apparent goal with a high stick with no whistles but because BG had already used their timeout, they could not challenged so it never even went to refs/monitor and Cornell goal stands. Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          Hey Flag!

Got a question for you? Out side of goal camera goals and potential 5 minute majors, what are the parameters for the refs to go to the monitors to look at a review/replay. Flashback last night! BG scores an apparent goal with no whistles but then Cornell calls timeout to challenge and in so doing the refs goes back to the monitors and overturns the apparent goal due to a BG offsides (right call by the way). Then Cornell scores an apparent goal with a high stick with no whistles but because BG had already used their timeout, they could not challenged so it never even went to refs/monitor and Cornell goal stands. Thx!
          Let's do this together; take a look at Rule 93, what you're looking for starts on page 83: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH20.pdf

The refs could have reviewed Cornell's apparent goal if they wanted to, but probably felt, after what I assume to have involved a quick discussion (didn't see the game since I'm 106 miles to Chicago, albeit the tank's only half full and I don't smoke ), that they made the correct call on the ice, so they didn't bother. You didn't mention how much time was left on the clock for Dartmouth's apparent goal, so I couldn't tell you if they had to challenge it or not. Sounds like a bit of an unlucky break there.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              When I watched the first period of the first game I thought, this is going to be terrible to watch. What clearly stood out is the Engineers got better as the weekend went along. The key was not being able to put the chances they got into the net as Notre Dame did. But getting the chances they did get and the high number of shots on the road bodes well for the Engineers. Hopefully they will see the positives and not get frustrated by the losses. The take away for me is what to do about the goalie situation. I think as with the line "scoring by committee", it looks like it will be "playing goalie by committee". One thing, however, that got me riled up was the announcers saying "RPI scores less than two goals a game" or "RPI scores only 1.8 goals per game" about 200 times. OK we get it, they don't score a lot of goals. No need to rub the audience's nose in it.

Comment

Takeaways from the weekend series - we got outscored 9-1 (with one empty net goal). We played better than i expected and took more shots than I had felt we could. But the facts are the facts. We lose far too many important face offs (sure we win the ones in center ice but we lose them when we need to win them deep in our zone when short handed and deep in the offensive zone when we are on the power play). We delay far too long to decide how to move the puck. We still cannot get the puck out of our zone past the defensemen at the points even to just get a partial line change. We do not keep the puck in the offensive zone well enough at the point (too often the puck skips past our defensemen). When we do get an odd man rush into the offensive zone (which is not all that often) we do not seem to know where the open man is at the right time to get him the puck. None of this is really new as these have been the problems for the past few years.
                The good news though is that we have some talent on this team. Reilly is a very good rushing offensive defenseman. We have some solid forwards and the top line does generate chances and excitement. Having watched for so many years I just do not think we are that far off from being a competitive team. But if we are not able to address the first list of deficiencies, we will be constantly seeing games like we just had. Frustration after frustration as we fail at some of the basic fundamentals. This team has more potential than last year but we face some of the same old problems we have had for quite some time.
                Goaltending? After the last few games i would start Savory or Perry until they both have shown they need to be replaced. They may not be perfect but at least they do not appear to be awkward out there handling the puck. Marshall has talent and perhaps a big upside potential but he has just look so uncomfortable out there that something has to be done. JMHO.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Takeaways from the weekend series - we got outscored 9-1 (with one empty net goal). We played better than i expected and took more shots than I had felt we could. But the facts are the facts. We lose far too many important face offs (sure we win the ones in center ice but we lose them when we need to win them deep in our zone when short handed and deep in the offensive zone when we are on the power play). We delay far too long to decide how to move the puck. We still cannot get the puck out of our zone past the defensemen at the points even to just get a partial line change. We do not keep the puck in the offensive zone well enough at the point (too often the puck skips past our defensemen). When we do get an odd man rush into the offensive zone (which is not all that often) we do not seem to know where the open man is at the right time to get him the puck. None of this is really new as these have been the problems for the past few years.
                  The good news though is that we have some talent on this team. Reilly is a very good rushing offensive defenseman. We have some solid forwards and the top line does generate chances and excitement. Having watched for so many years I just do not think we are that far off from being a competitive team. But if we are not able to address the first list of deficiencies, we will be constantly seeing games like we just had. Frustration after frustration as we fail at some of the basic fundamentals. This team has more potential than last year but we face some of the same old problems we have had for quite some time.
                  Goaltending? After the last few games i would start Savory or Perry until they both have shown they need to be replaced. They may not be perfect but at least they do not appear to be awkward out there handling the puck. Marshall has talent and perhaps a big upside potential but he has just look so uncomfortable out there that something has to be done. JMHO.
                  I totally agree. If they would just chip the puck from the defensive zone out to the neutral zone it would give them time to either change or to go pressure the opposing player with the puck. If the opposition isn't intimidated by you, they will stay right in your face. They have no need to back up because they know you don't have the skills to get around them. The same can be said about the offensive blue line. Throw the puck in deep and pressure the D men. You will NOT score goals trying to work from the side walls or stick handle into the zone. You have to get the puck in deep. These two strategies (offensive pressure and defensively chipping the puck out into the neutral zone) buy you time. Time to change or time to decide what you next move will be. If you are constantly being pressured you don't have that time. Good teams like Notre Dame know not to give the opposing player time and space. Teams like RPI have to limit time and space for the opposition. It is so easy to be intimidated by talented players and back away from them. It's exactly what they want. And if you don't intimidate the opposition, don't try and do what they do. Dump it in and finish your check. Make them look over their shoulder and the puck will be left unattended. Just like focusing on each shift to get better, focus on each dump in and each opportunity to pressure the puck and have someone in front of the net. Get one goal. Then focus on the next one....

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Let's do this together; take a look at Rule 93, what you're looking for starts on page 83: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH20.pdf

The refs could have reviewed Cornell's apparent goal if they wanted to, but probably felt, after what I assume to have involved a quick discussion (didn't see the game since I'm 106 miles to Chicago, albeit the tank's only half full and I don't smoke ), that they made the correct call on the ice, so they didn't bother. You didn't mention how much time was left on the clock for Dartmouth's apparent goal, so I couldn't tell you if they had to challenge it or not. Sounds like a bit of an unlucky break there.
                    Hey Flag! Nice BB reference...well played! Thanks for your research and insight for the scenarios stated! Based on that, IMHO got it half right. The Cornell timeout and overturn was the correct call but the other high stick goal was not even looked at. Based on the rules, on any goal scored , it should be subject to be reviewed which the refs didn't so it had nothing to do with BG burning their time out earlier and if still had it, to call that to the attention of the refs by buying time. Thx again Dude!

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Well said Doc. From what I could catch these last 2 weekends, we do have some talent, and can compete fairly well. We do have moments where our hockey IQ/metal toughness seems to disappear and trigger breakdowns and on to goals against. I think experience and playing together will develop this over time.

I disagree re: fundamentals. This team seems miles ahead in terms of accomplishing basic hockey plays from as recently as 3 seasons ago. I like all of the subtractions coach Smith has made - this team does not have a lot of quit and they have ability to play in a structure.
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

First off would have been nice to steal one in ND. No hockey gods on our side this weekend and you kind of had to figure that. With that being said, we just need to score on our chances. We had plenty but how do we run into two hot goalies back to back? Burgess has no puck luck right now, Friday gets absolutely robbed, Saturday gets stopped on a breakaway. Ott gets hooked/slashed on Friday semi breakaway no call. In the slot earlier on PP and puck hops on him last minute and winds up shaking it and the story goes on. I think split the top line and put either one of the guys second or third line for some more balance. Some of our D hold puck too long and get smothered. Its gotta move quicker, gets those lanes open. Savory is #1 Perry is #2. With all that.....I still see this team as a 7 or 8 seed possibly 6 at end of year.

Just my opinion feel free to rip apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by capswon View Post
                          First off would have been nice to steal one in ND. No hockey gods on our side this weekend and you kind of had to figure that. With that being said, we just need to score on our chances. We had plenty but how do we run into two hot goalies back to back? Burgess has no puck luck right now, Friday gets absolutely robbed, Saturday gets stopped on a breakaway. Ott gets hooked/slashed on Friday semi breakaway no call. In the slot earlier on PP and puck hops on him last minute and winds up shaking it and the story goes on. I think split the top line and put either one of the guys second or third line for some more balance. Some of our D hold puck too long and get smothered. Its gotta move quicker, gets those lanes open. Savory is #1 Perry is #2. With all that.....I still see this team as a 7 or 8 seed possibly 6 at end of year.

Just my opinion feel free to rip apart.
                          If we get home ice first round then who is 4 teams finishing below us
                          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

In no particular position, Colgate, Brown, St. Lawrence and either Yale or Dartmouth. If I had to pick between the two I think Dartmouth. Streaky and if you contain the first line you should be able to get the win.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                              In no particular position, Colgate, Brown, St. Lawrence and either Yale or Dartmouth. If I had to pick between the two I think Dartmouth. Streaky and if you contain the first line you should be able to get the win.
                              Well we have a chance to prove it next week against two of them. Have to get over a winless streak, though, and it might surprise you as to what I'm referencing...

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                                I'm not going to suggest that KRACH or my predictions are infallible, but Yale and Dartmouth are the wrong tree to be barking up. Harvard or Princeton are much more likely.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X