Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    I can't speak to the individual recruits, but the departure of the Ohrvalls was not much of a loss.
    Couldn't disagree more. Emil was a 2nd liner at Shattuck St. Mary's (which produces great player ie Crosby). Emil was the best forward recruit since JDA and Pirri. Bad loss for Smith. As for Jesper, great character guy who you need in your room. Good luck to both of them. I see Emil potted a hat trick in USHL; good for him!
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      Seth did let me know that he was doing this. It was my great honor to collaborate with him on groundbreaking AA game. A great hockey man but more importantly a great person. Seth is a pioneer in the field of autism awareness; these types of games are popping up around minor league hockey. Proud of Apps and my association with his autism advocacy.
      Regardless of who does it, or how it is done, I'm happy to read that you are able to bring to light the cause you are supporting. I know it's 5PM in India and not here, but here's to the continued fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        That was our last appearance also. We bought tickets every year since (excluding last year) and never went. The 3 years in Atlantic City truly was bothersome as we live about 45 minutes north of there and had to give the tickets away each time.
        If I recall the consolation game was against Clarkson, and Murley had a hat trick.
        Last edited by DavidSec17; 10-20-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
          Couldn't disagree more. Emil was a 2nd liner at Shattuck St. Mary's (which produces great player ie Crosby). Emil was the best forward recruit since JDA and Pirri. Bad loss for Smith. As for Jesper, great character guy who you need in your room. Good luck to both of them. I see Emil potted a hat trick in USHL; good for him!
          Hi AspyDad, hope you’re well.

I see some waxing poetic about the Ohrvalls as if they were 4-star recruits that got away and never played for the Red. These guys both played and didn’t move the needle. Whatsoever. The older Ohrvall and his “character” floated through the last 2 seasons he played here. Maybe his last year he was hurt(?). The younger one, Emil, the best recruit since who? LOL. Can you answer why he’s back in the USHL this year?

You won’t convince me losing these two will have any real impact on the program. At all.

LGR!
          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
            Hi AspyDad, hope you’re well.

I see some waxing poetic about the Ohrvalls as if they were 4-star recruits that got away and never played for the Red. These guys both played and didn’t move the needle. Whatsoever. The older Ohrvall and his “character” floated through the last 2 seasons he played here. Maybe his last year he was hurt(?). The younger one, Emil, the best recruit since who? LOL. Can you answer why he’s back in the USHL this year?

You won’t convince me losing these two will have any real impact on the program. At all.

LGR!
            He's back in the USHL because there's a transfer rule where you must "sit out" for a year and use your redshirt if you have it, but that does not prohibit them from playing juniors. We haven't seen that with some of the more recent ones because there's no wait when you go D-I to D-III, or you receive a diploma and enter graduate school at another institution.

If you happened to watch Emil closely, he had great positioning offensively, always finding an opening. Just a little trouble with the finish through a redirect, but that comes with practice. Best recruit since Pirri isn't that tough to argue, although Zalewski seemed a bit more well-rounded, and Haggerty was just as good offensively. Kid has a great future, and I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a bit from him, even if his training comes from elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              He's back in the USHL because there's a transfer rule where you must "sit out" for a year and use your redshirt if you have it, but that does not prohibit them from playing juniors. We haven't seen that with some of the more recent ones because there's no wait when you go D-I to D-III, or you receive a diploma and enter graduate school at another institution.

If you happened to watch Emil closely, he had great positioning offensively, always finding an opening. Just a little trouble with the finish through a redirect, but that comes with practice. Best recruit since Pirri isn't that tough to argue, although Zalewski seemed a bit more well-rounded, and Haggerty was just as good offensively. Kid has a great future, and I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a bit from him, even if his training comes from elsewhere.
              I agree. I do think that Z and Haggerty were probably better, but I expected Emil O to improve at RPI. His brother, although he would have been a factor this year, never had his upside. I suspect that Emil will be a force wherever he lands next year. I hope that we don't play against that team.

I do add, that had Emil been older, he would not have been able to play Junior hockey this year and would have had to just sit out.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I was trying to decide if this belongs on today's game thread or on the recruit thread. I tossed a coin, and it landed on its edge, so I am posting it here.

I strongly suspect that RPI recruit Reid Leibold will be at this evening's game. he is playing at the Salt Dome as I type this and will be playing tomorrow at 11:15 AM at tHFH. Since Union is not home this weekend, conceivably the entire Northwood Junior team will be at tHFH.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Built up a big 21 points lead vs. Hobart, looking like we're going to blow it in the 4th... batting the onside kick out of bounds with an insurance score, needing it as Hobart scores AGAIN... thankfully we know how to guard against onside kicks, as we barely pull it out, 31-24.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Respectfully Flagdude Emil had some nice skills but he was not IMO the best player on last years squad or in recent years for that matter. IMO he was missing the biggest intangible and that was heart. Without it you won’t advance very far.

Comment

Originally posted by RegalFan View Post
                      Respectfully Flagdude Emil had some nice skills but he was not IMO the best player on last years squad or in recent years for that matter. IMO he was missing the biggest intangible and that was heart. Without it you won’t advance very far.
                      Definitely important that you need to have that. I never said he was the best (that was AspyDad), but he has a great upside. I could see your explanation, given he started to taper off as the year went on, likely out of frustration. Maybe with a new environment, he'll reach his potential. We always must remember that we are still a young players' league (albeit one step before pro), and it's always great to see these kids develop beyond our level of interest.

Comment

Built up a big 21 points lead vs. Hobart, looking like we're going to blow it in the 4th... batting the onside kick out of bounds with an insurance score, needing it as Hobart scores AGAIN... thankfully we know how to guard against onside kicks, as we barely pull it out, 31-24.
                        We bent but did not break.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Definitely important that you need to have that. I never said he was the best (that was AspyDad), but he has a great upside. I could see your explanation, given he started to taper off as the year went on, likely out of frustration. Maybe with a new environment, he'll reach his potential. We always must remember that we are still a young players' league (albeit one step before pro), and it's always great to see these kids develop beyond our level of interest.
                          Aspy didn't say that either. 1. He didn't compare him to goalies or defensemen, and 2. He was really talking about potential, not what happened last year.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We had this one by a mile. Hobart could not move the ball for 2+ almost 3 periods as we built up that lead. Then, the fourth quarter. We seemed to go into that famous prevent defense shell (which often just prevents you from winning) and the game got to within a touchdown. Thankfully we scored on a long run which I though Iced the game. But we sat back and allowed Hobart to run the field to get again within 7. As you mentioned, we recovered the onside kick attempt with a little more than a minute remaining and ran out the clock. Hobart threw over 50 passes and collected about 350 yards in the air. We were far more balanced and ran successfully.
                            RPI is now 6-0 and more importantly, in the Liberty League 2-0. We have 2 games that we should win (fingers crossed) and then the Union game to finish the regular season. RPI will undoubted get a post season game but to get into the NCAA field we will have to either run the table (unless each team has as many losses as we do and we had beaten them head to head). Not sure if this team has all the pieces that the 2003 team that almost got to the finals of the NCAA, but nice to have a winner in Troy. Now, if our boys on the ice can get going, this could be a fun time!!
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Aspy didn't say that either. 1. He didn't compare him to goalies or defensemen, and 2. He was really talking about potential, not what happened last year.
                              Ty
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Ty

Comment

Working...
                                X