Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    I totally agree. If they would just chip the puck from the defensive zone out to the neutral zone it would give them time to either change or to go pressure the opposing player with the puck. If the opposition isn't intimidated by you, they will stay right in your face. They have no need to back up because they know you don't have the skills to get around them. The same can be said about the offensive blue line. Throw the puck in deep and pressure the D men. You will NOT score goals trying to work from the side walls or stick handle into the zone. You have to get the puck in deep. These two strategies (offensive pressure and defensively chipping the puck out into the neutral zone) buy you time. Time to change or time to decide what you next move will be. If you are constantly being pressured you don't have that time. Good teams like Notre Dame know not to give the opposing player time and space. Teams like RPI have to limit time and space for the opposition. It is so easy to be intimidated by talented players and back away from them. It's exactly what they want. And if you don't intimidate the opposition, don't try and do what they do. Dump it in and finish your check. Make them look over their shoulder and the puck will be left unattended. Just like focusing on each shift to get better, focus on each dump in and each opportunity to pressure the puck and have someone in front of the net. Get one goal. Then focus on the next one....

I agree. Nice analysis Dr. D. A few more faceoff wins and faster out of the D zone will build confidence and make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      To be fair, it has had four games. Remember that Lacka came back from injury. Of course, prior to that, we weren't doing so hot, either.
      A problem is that we don't have a second line which can score.

I wonder what has happened to Jerry this year offensively. He seemed promising as a freshman.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I wonder what has happened to Jerry this year offensively. He seemed promising as a freshman.
        Probably the same thing as Marshall: sophomore slump.

One player that really impresses me as having a knack for crashing the net and making good plays, even if he is a sophomore, is Donovan Ott. He seems like someone that would really benefit from good play-making and finding of openings. Not sure if he has the chemistry with Wiffen, but I'd look to Ott if you want to see some magic happen.

Comment

We can debate the scoring issue all we want, but after 13 games this season, Polino leads the team with 3 goals.
          That is not going to cut it. We have a serious problem and I don't see anyone stepping up.
          I can only hope that one of the three new players coming in will make a difference.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            I can only hope that one of the three new players coming in will make a difference.
            We can hope, but I am pessimistic.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              We can debate the scoring issue all we want, but after 13 games this season, Polino leads the team with 3 goals.
              That is not going to cut it. We have a serious problem and I don't see anyone stepping up.
              As we've had occasion to say for far too long, the dearth of scoring is not a new phenomenon. 😡
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                I totally agree. If they would just chip the puck from the defensive zone out to the neutral zone it would give them time to either change or to go pressure the opposing player with the puck. If the opposition isn't intimidated by you, they will stay right in your face. They have no need to back up because they know you don't have the skills to get around them. The same can be said about the offensive blue line. Throw the puck in deep and pressure the D men. You will NOT score goals trying to work from the side walls or stick handle into the zone. You have to get the puck in deep. These two strategies (offensive pressure and defensively chipping the puck out into the neutral zone) buy you time. Time to change or time to decide what you next move will be. If you are constantly being pressured you don't have that time. Good teams like Notre Dame know not to give the opposing player time and space. Teams like RPI have to limit time and space for the opposition. It is so easy to be intimidated by talented players and back away from them. It's exactly what they want. And if you don't intimidate the opposition, don't try and do what they do. Dump it in and finish your check. Make them look over their shoulder and the puck will be left unattended. Just like focusing on each shift to get better, focus on each dump in and each opportunity to pressure the puck and have someone in front of the net. Get one goal. Then focus on the next one....
                In theory all of this makes perfect sense. But when you're playing a top tier team, whoever they send over the wall is bound to have size, speed and skill. Time and space is hard to come by and a simple chip up the wall often ain't so simple.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

No kidding. And after what happened in the exhibition, what the heck happened to DiGrande? Can't keep up with the D-I play? Told not to go for the net?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    No kidding. And after what happened in the exhibition, what the heck happened to DiGrande? Can't keep up with the D-I play? Told not to go for the net?
                    He only had a 50-4-7-11-69 line last season in the USHL including playoffs, He's probably not a scorer.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

He only had a 50-4-7-11-69 line last season in the USHL including playoffs, He's probably not a scorer.
                      Hahaha you beat me to it, Ralph. But I was also going to mention.... in his 3rd year in the USHL.... as an over-ager..... So yeah, I'm in total agreement with you.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                        ......as much as I admire Polino I sure hope the Team isn’t going to be dependent on him & Marrello for scoring, geesh.
                        From page 4. Geesh.......
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          Hahaha you beat me to it, Ralph. But I was also going to mention.... in his 3rd year in the USHL.... as an over-ager..... So yeah, I'm in total agreement with you.
                          Let us see if I can also beat turk.

Turk and I had a discussion about him a year ago and wondered if he could be compared to Mark Miller who also did little offensively in the USHL but was not bad at RPI.

Edit: I did beat him. He's talking about Polino.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X