Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    This isn't new for Smitty. Somebody hung 7 on us last year (don't recall who) and Perry never got sent out to relieve Marshall. That's when I knew he was done playing at RPI.
    Perry wasn't in after 7 were on us. Perhaps you meant 6, and this particular game: http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/mprnren1.n11

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Perry wasn't in after 7 were on us. Perhaps you meant 6, and this particular game: http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/mprnren1.n11
      Actually you have the wrong game. It was RPI-Princeton but it was the game at Princeton not at HFH. It was on 2/16. The game you listed had Perry as the starter.

Comment

football highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofke9CgSTEw
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
          Actually you have the wrong game. It was RPI-Princeton but it was the game at Princeton not at HFH. It was on 2/16. The game you listed had Perry as the starter.
          Then maybe I misunderstood what WS was trying to say; I thought he was talking about relief the other way around. The same could theoretically be said about Dartmouth, although it was St. Denis who came in relief, and only after seven. Perry's last in-game action on record and for a pull was, ironically, against Dartmouth. There also was 6 minutes during Freakout, but that was an injury replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Early line on next week's game (thanks to Jenny and her family) has our win chance listed at 4% (1% worse than yesterday) and the median score as 40-14. Hopkins starts the week as a 26 point favorite. But i recall that Brockport was listed as a 24 point favorite with the probable score as 38-14. My own feeling is we face a totally different offense coming up. Brockport was a passing team (and I truly feared that our poor pass defense the previous 3 weeks was just suspect). Hopkins is far more balanced and a far better rushing offensive team. As such do not expect weather to play as much of a role but also do not expect them to turn the ball over as frequently as Brockport did. Brockport simply self destructed early in every way imaginable. Fumbles, interceptions, missed kicks, blocked kicks. In fact it is hard to find a type of turnover they did not commit.
            This has been a super RPI football year and I hope we can somehow find a way to extend it one more week. A real shot in the program arm to reach the final 4 as we did in 2003. At the end of the regular season, Brockport was ranked #4 and Hopkins #12 so I guess anything is possible. At the beginning of the season just the thought that we might be one game away from facing Mt. Union would indicate some form of insanity but that is where we find ourselves. Go Red!!

As for the hockey team, before the season, if you told me we would have 4 victories after 10 games I might have believed you (probably not). But to tell me that 2 would be against Union and 1 against UML would have been my guess at all. As we have gotten healthy with Lacka and Reilly back, things look more encouraging than at any time last year. A bit early for me to say this but I would like to think that much of this is coaching related. There are just too many fundamentals that are improved for this to just be player related. Face offs, special teams, break out from the zone plays, all look promising. Still a long way to go and lots to improve upon but things are beginning to look up in Troy.

Have not had the chance to say this yet but as the weekend draws to a close, happy Thanksgiving to all those who follow and post here from Jenny and myself.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I don't want to put you guys under any sort of pressure or anything but right now we (ECAC) are 26-26-1 in non-conference games and third behind NCHC and the Big10. This weekend we are 5-2 against HE and you are the last game. We (ECAC) are 12-9 against HE thus far this year (.571) and only once has the ECAC ever finished higher that .500 against HE. I believe that was 2013-2014.

So .... we could really use a win here. If you can sweep us, you sure as hell can sweep UML. Get that same team to show up Good luck !!!
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Early line on next week's game (thanks to Jenny and her family) has our win chance listed at 4% (1% worse than yesterday) and the median score as 40-14. Hopkins starts the week as a 26 point favorite. But i recall that Brockport was listed as a 24 point favorite with the probable score as 38-14. My own feeling is we face a totally different offense coming up. Brockport was a passing team (and I truly feared that our poor pass defense the previous 3 weeks was just suspect). Hopkins is far more balanced and a far better rushing offensive team. As such do not expect weather to play as much of a role but also do not expect them to turn the ball over as frequently as Brockport did. Brockport simply self destructed early in every way imaginable. Fumbles, interceptions, missed kicks, blocked kicks. In fact it is hard to find a type of turnover they did not commit.
                This has been a super RPI football year and I hope we can somehow find a way to extend it one more week. A real shot in the program arm to reach the final 4 as we did in 2003. At the end of the regular season, Brockport was ranked #4 and Hopkins #12 so I guess anything is possible. At the beginning of the season just the thought that we might be one game away from facing Mt. Union would indicate some form of insanity but that is where we find ourselves. Go Red!!

As for the hockey team, before the season, if you told me we would have 4 victories after 10 games I might have believed you (probably not). But to tell me that 2 would be against Union and 1 against UML would have been my guess at all. As we have gotten healthy with Lacka and Reilly back, things look more encouraging than at any time last year. A bit early for me to say this but I would like to think that much of this is coaching related. There are just too many fundamentals that are improved for this to just be player related. Face offs, special teams, break out from the zone plays, all look promising. Still a long way to go and lots to improve upon but things are beginning to look up in Troy.

Have not had the chance to say this yet but as the weekend draws to a close, happy Thanksgiving to all those who follow and post here from Jenny and myself.
                Brockport had more turnovers than the RPI power play under SA.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Brockport had more turnovers than the RPI power play under SA.
                  Let's not forget all the dropped passes as well. Brockport was practically handing that game to us. The fact it was as close as it was shows our need for quite a bit of improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Let's not forget all the dropped passes as well. Brockport was practically handing that game to us. The fact it was as close as it was shows our need for quite a bit of improvement.
                    Agreed. It's hard to fathom how they were 11-0.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm going to commit the twin sacrileges of mentioning both football and basketball on a hockey thread.

RPI has never played Johns Hopkins in football, but the two schools have faced each other in at least one sporting event.

That took place in December 1969, when Bill Kalbaugh took his RPI basketball team to Baltimore to play the Blue Jays.

The game wasn't an artistic success from an RPI standpoint. Johns Hopkins' coach, a young fellow in his very first year as a collegiate head coach, had his team good and ready to play us and Hopkins won by 14 points in what turned out to be the Engineers' worst loss of the season. Probably very few RPI fans took note of that coach's name, but it could fairly be said, in retrospect, that he showed a good deal of promise.

His name was Jim Valvano.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                        I'm going to commit the twin sacrileges of mentioning both football and basketball on a hockey thread.

RPI has never played Johns Hopkins in football, but the two schools have faced each other in at least one sporting event.

That took place in December 1969, when Bill Kalbaugh took his RPI basketball team to Baltimore to play the Blue Jays.

The game wasn't an artistic success from an RPI standpoint. Johns Hopkins' coach, a young fellow in his very first year as a collegiate head coach, had his team good and ready to play us and Hopkins won by 14 points in what turned out to be the Engineers' worst loss of the season. Probably very few RPI fans took note of that coach's name, but it could fairly be said, in retrospect, that he showed a good deal of promise.

His name was Jim Valvano.
                        I also checked if we played them in lacrosse. We did each year from 1955 to 1961 except 1957. We lost all 6 games.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Tough loss fluky goal never seen that 30 plus years of hockey. We lost that game end of 2nd not being able to clear puck for 3 minutes and then they scored. We are better than last year but still not up to standards of being a .500 team
                          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              I think Brockport might have even found new ways to turn over the ball that no one ever saw before! Their kicking game was just horrendous. We will need a lot of help against a really strong Hopkins team that moves the ball both in the air (our nemesis) and on the ground. Hard for any team to keep them under 50 points this year. I am hoping for terrible weather for Saturday as that could be quite an equalizer for us as it was last week. In any case, congratulations indeed for being one of the last 8 teams in the nation still standing!!

The Sunday hockey game was a good game for about 30 minutes. That horrible giveaway late in the second completely changed the entire game. Then we just chased UML around our zone for about 3 minutes while everyone watching knew exactly what was going to happen. Wide open shot near the net and for all intents and purposes the game was over. There are times this team plays well (even very well but not quite great yet). But then there are still times where we look like most of last year. Some improvement from last year is obvious. But we have a way to go. If we can play like we did for the first 4 1/2 periods of the weekend all the time, we are a competitive team against most if not all.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                                Tough loss fluky goal never seen that 30 plus years of hockey. We lost that game end of 2nd not being able to clear puck for 3 minutes and then they scored. We are better than last year but still not up to standards of being a .500 team
                                The Engineers played well for about 30 minutes. I was impressed with how they looked. Nice to have everyone healthy. Then it was as if a switch was thrown. They looked lost out there the rest of the game. If it wasn't for Savory the score would have been much more of a blow out. One thing I noted: Far too many turnovers all related to trying to finesse the puck out of the D zone and finesse it into the O zone. I read about a strategy Rick Bennett talks about in a Gazette article: When you are in the D zone within 5 feet of the blue line always chip it out of the zone and go get it. When within 5 feet of the O zone blue line dump the puck deep in the zone. You will accomplish nothing chipping the puck 10 feet into the O zone. Dump it in deep and forecheck. There were lots of turnovers on either side of the blue line trying to get fancy with the puck. This is not a team of guys who can do fancy. When you try to do fancy and turn the puck over, you use an awful lot of energy with little to show for it. As to Savory. He impressed me. Lots of poise. RB asked about his "credentials". I looked up his numbers and they were pretty impressive the last two years for the league he was in. Irregardless, he held his own. Whoever gets the assignment next weekend is in for a tough weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X