Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Somebody needs to ask the question, why does it take a goal against to get some urgency out of these guys. If they played the first fifty minutes like they played the last ten, this might have been a different finish.
    Of course, we didn't fill up the net in those last ten minutes. Just sayin.
    That “sense of urgency” came with a price as the game opened up and we could just as easily given up another goal or two as well. I don’t think the team lacks drive - the coaching staff apparently believes that with the players they have (and maybe it’s Smith’s preferred style) that their best chance of winning is to play a structured game that restricts chances on both sides with the hope that incremental offensive improvements from such a young team will turn some games like last night into 2-1 or 3-2 victories.

BTW, I was really pleased with our stick work on defense last night (lifting or pinning sticks to break up plays). Unfortunately, they did the same to us with many promising plays going for naught as the forward’s stick was impeded.
    Last edited by rpi82; 10-21-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

My rose colored glasses got a bit fogged over last night. I did not see the positives that others claimed they saw. Awful early in the season but next weekend will tell me all I need to know. if we cannot get fired up for a home and home with Union, then we have very little to look forward to.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
        I would think that if RPI manages to beat both Rochester and St. Lawrence (and they certainly have to be strong favorites to do that), then they can finish no worse than 4-1 in the league. Since Union has already lost twice, 4-1 would leave RPI tied with either Hobart or Ithaca, and they've beaten both of them.

So it would seem that the Liberty League championship is all but a sure thing. Unless the Liberty League no longer has an automatic bid, it's hard to see how RPI could fail to get into the NCAA field.
        When i had posted I was still waiting for the rest of the Saturday scores. Needed to see that every team was pinned with a loss. SLU had to lose and did handily. We have had seasons where we beat the best teams but lost to a bottom team so I am not counting my chickens just yet. But we have SLU and Rochester who on paper (but the game is played on the field) we should handle. The union game is last and at home. Would love to beat them also as going undefeated will most certainly give us a far better seed in the tournament than having one loss. Would also love to beat them, simply because it is Union and we get the shoes for another year.
        Will be interesting to see the Division III poll on Monday. We were 19th but just about everyone above us won also. I would like to hope that the voters give us a bit of credit for beating both Ithaca and Hobart as each had been ranked (or close to being ranked) at some time this year. For what it is worth, I still think Ithaca is probably the better team and we have been out gained in yardage most weeks. But we have been able to find a way to win for 6 consecutive games. I would love that to translate onto the ice but have yet to see it.

Comment

We're #38 in PWR. https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairw...kings/d-i-men/
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I know that Lacka, the only player to score for RPI in the two games against UMass, was injured in the second of those two games and I hear there is a rumor that the injury is a broken arm, so it may be quite a while before he's ready to return.

I'm wondering about Daniel DiGrande. He scored a goal against UPEI and, if I recall correctly, had another shot that beat the goalie but hit the post. The thing I liked about him was that after he scored his goal, he didn't go into a wild and crazy freshman-type oh-my-God-I-can't-believe-what-I-just-did demonstration. Looked to me as though he acted as if this was something he'd done before and expected to do again in the future.

Admittedly, UPEI did not count as an NCAA opponent, but if we're looking for somebody who can put the puck in the net, I would think a guy who's actually done it - any time, against anybody - might be a good guy to start with.

However, from what I can see in the statistics, DiGrande played only the first game against UMass. Didn't play the second game against UMass, didn't play against UConn.

Is anyone aware of any injury, rumored or otherwise, affecting DiGrande to the point that he is physically unable to perform?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
              I know that Lacka, the only player to score for RPI in the two games against UMass, was injured in the second of those two games and I hear there is a rumor that the injury is a broken arm, so it may be quite a while before he's ready to return.

I'm wondering about Daniel DiGrande. He scored a goal against UPEI and, if I recall correctly, had another shot that beat the goalie but hit the post. The thing I liked about him was that after he scored his goal, he didn't go into a wild and crazy freshman-type oh-my-God-I-can't-believe-what-I-just-did demonstration. Looked to me as though he acted as if this was something he'd done before and expected to do again in the future.

Admittedly, UPEI did not count as an NCAA opponent, but if we're looking for somebody who can put the puck in the net, I would think a guy who's actually done it - any time, against anybody - might be a good guy to start with.

However, from what I can see in the statistics, DiGrande played only the first game against UMass. Didn't play the second game against UMass, didn't play against UConn.

Is anyone aware of any injury, rumored or otherwise, affecting DiGrande to the point that he is physically unable to perform?
              At first, I thought it was because of the opponent, but when I saw the same guys vs. UCONN, it puzzled me as well. Nothing sounded like injury, but it was radio only. Let's also remember that DiGrande's chances stemmed from individual efforts that probably wouldn't work against better opponents. I'd have to look back to see how he was on the other side of the ice. Even more so, I'm really hoping we're not seeing a pattern like we did with Troy York.
              Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 10-22-2018, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

Lacka has a shoulder injury not a broken arm. Was told his time to heal would be 4-6 weeks. Same injury that Marello had last year. As for DiGrande the second UMASS game he was a scratch and I was told he was sick during the week and that’s why he didn’t play on Saturday.

Comment

RPI football moves up two slots to #17. A bit of a surprise as most ranked teams won this week. Not sure if a couple teams ranked a bit lower should be up with us or even above us, but really question how teams with 2 losses are even considered in the rankings with one ranked well above us. There are more than enough undefeated teams and a plethora of one loss teams that a two loss team should not be ranked.
                  In any case, if we are able to perform well enough in the next two weeks and enter the last game of the regular season undefeated, we could be a top 15 team and certain of an NCAA bid. If we then win the Shoes, we might be knocking on the door of the top 10!
                  Considering I am an RPI child of the 60's when the hockey team was winning the majority of their games while the football team was winning virtually none (winless in something like 40+ straight). This is quite the unexpected turnaround.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

[QUOTE=Ralph Baer;6713267] [/QUOTE

It would seem the rainbow does not end at the HFH. No pot of gold to be found.

Comment

• [QUOTE=25+years;6713530]
                        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        [/QUOTE

It would seem the rainbow does not end at the HFH. No pot of gold to be found.
                        Hope springs eternal?😝
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          My rose colored glasses got a bit fogged over last night. I did not see the positives that others claimed they saw. Awful early in the season but next weekend will tell me all I need to know. if we cannot get fired up for a home and home with Union, then we have very little to look forward to.
                          I was on the road for the UConn game but listened. The most common comment was "shot wide or shot over the net". If RPI cannot hit the net against U Conn, how do they think they will come anywhere near keeping the games with Union close? On a positive note I was impressed with the woman color commentator (Hailey) who sounded a lot like AJ Mleczko on NBC hockey games.

Comment

Ralph-remind me again who the coach to the right of Smitty in the team photo?? I saw him on the bench over the weekend, but he's not noted with the other coaches on the roster
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              Ralph-remind me again who the coach to the right of Smitty in the team photo?? I saw him on the bench over the weekend, but he's not noted with the other coaches on the roster
                              Strictly speaking, the person to his right is the AD, Lee McElroy, but you probably mean Noah Segall, the Operations Coordinator.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Strictly speaking, the person to his right is the AD, Lee McElroy, but you probably mean Noah Segall, the Operations Coordinator.
                                No, not Noah. In the photo I'm seeing on the team site "2018-19 Men's Hockey Roster" there is a guy standing between Smitty and Noah Segall. That's the guy I'm wondering about ...

Comment

Working...
                                X