Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    I can’t believe I drove nearly 2 hours through rush hour traffic to watch that. It was a definite flashback to last year. It wasn’t that we played badly so much as there was no spark. Everything we did was a half-step slower than QU. The boys were back on their heels from the start and couldn’t change the momentum at any time over a full sixty-minutes. We can’t even blame it on skating 8 freshmen, because QU was too. This team just seems schizophrenic - either they get blown out or they play a game over their heads to give us (probably false) hope. What a downer.....
    This has been the RPI program for the last decade and a half.
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

• Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
      This has been the RPI program for the last decade and a half.
      Indeed
      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

A bunch of posts about RPI on the Hockey's Future board https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...557231/page-17. It starts off being about Kjellberg's commitment (post 412) but then moves to more general comments. Posters exhibit, as usual, varying degrees of knowledge of RPI.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Football will host Husson on Saturday.
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Argh, jericho beat me to it; was just going to post that.

Full bracket: http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2018/bracket

One of the RPI-TV reps had to ask Perry about the streaming situation; nothing on their site yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
              Football will host Husson on Saturday.
              I have a feeling that RPI lucked out a little bit when the NCAA decided not to assign Mount Union as the # 1 seed in the East Region, which they have done in a number of previous years. If they had, RPI probably would have been the fifth seed and would not have gotten a home game.

At least this will allow the Penn State women's hockey team to have the experience this weekend of being on a campus where the football team is playing a postseason home game, something that will never happen at their school.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                I have a feeling that RPI lucked out a little bit when the NCAA decided not to assign Mount Union as the # 1 seed in the East Region, which they have done in a number of previous years. If they had, RPI probably would have been the fifth seed and would not have gotten a home game.

At least this will allow the Penn State women's hockey team to have the experience this weekend of being on a campus where the football team is playing a postseason home game, something that will never happen at their school.
                Never is a long time.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

Truly lucked out. if they had beaten Union they would have deserved an easy playoff seed as an opponent and of course the home site. They get Husson at home. The early line by those who know these things for betting purposes is RPI is about an 88% chance to win and the median score predicted is 28-14. personally I doubt it as Husson has proved they can score a ton against anyone (except Union). But we stand a good chance of at least moving on for another week if we can play well (and find a way to play pass defense against those short passes that killed us the last two weeks).

BTW the same sports experts had picked RPI to lose both hockey games this past weekend by between 2 and 3 goals each game (total goals of 7-8 against and scoring 2-3) and we lost both by a total of 7-1 which was not all that far off. But their prediction for the Union football game was far off as they had given RPI a 60% chance of a win and the average score being 24-21.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    Truly lucked out. if they had beaten Union they would have deserved an easy playoff seed as an opponent and of course the home site. They get Husson at home. The early line by those who know these things for betting purposes is RPI is about an 88% chance to win and the median score predicted is 28-14. personally I doubt it as Husson has proved they can score a ton against anyone (except Union). But we stand a good chance of at least moving on for another week if we can play well (and find a way to play pass defense against those short passes that killed us the last two weeks).

BTW the same sports experts had picked RPI to lose both hockey games this past weekend by between 2 and 3 goals each game (total goals of 7-8 against and scoring 2-3) and we lost both by a total of 7-1 which was not all that far off. But their prediction for the Union football game was far off as they had given RPI a 60% chance of a win and the average score being 24-21.
                    Our pass defense has been terrible all season. Even if you watch the not-so-close wins closely, you'll notice once they start passing, they catch up.

Sure, it's great we make the Stagg Bowl tournament, hopefully we can do something with it.

Comment

I was thinking about our performance this year and what to expect in the future. I have been subscribing to Neutral Zone since the middle of the year. These are our rankings that they have:

2016 29th
                      2017 24th
                      2018 29th
                      2019 29th
                      2020 33rd
                      2021 23rd

That is pretty much in the middle of the pack of 60 schools, actually slightly better than the 30.5 expected value, not that I wouldn't like to see a better ranking.

The players included are not always correct. To take 2018 for example: Modry is included. Leppanen is included but not ranked since they never saw him. Zieky and Bear are included. There are similar errors for other schools, so it probably averages out. For 2018, HU, QU, and CCT are the only ECAC schools above us. In 2017, we were 6th of the 12 schools. In 2016, we were 4th. Assuming NZ is not biased, which I would believe is the case, shouldn’t we be doing better?
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-13-2018, 01:39 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yes for 2016 and 2017. Departures (Melanson,Nanne,etc.) hurt 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI67 View Post
                          Yes for 2016 and 2017. Departures (Melanson,Nanne,etc.) hurt 2017.
                          I should have stated that those are the rankings of the new players, not of the entire team. So for this year one would have to somehow combine four years of players. My only point is that our classes are consistently in the middle of the 60 schools and better than the middle in the ECAC.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Is a 40% chance for Union to win really way off? Or are you referring to the score? Maybe they could play the game 30X and we can make a meaningful statistical judgement!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                              Is a 40% chance for Union to win really way off? Or are you referring to the score? Maybe they could play the game 30X and we can make a meaningful statistical judgement!
                              JM: Having watched both teams much of the season I was surprised we were even made the favorite at all but Union certainly exposed our pass defense weakness (which has been there most of the season against the short pass). I just felt that giving Union only a 40% chance at victory was much too low. Coming up this weekend they have us as a much bigger favorite against Husson. i know nothing about that team except they scored a ton of points and lost badly to union early in the season. if they rely on the run more than the pass we might have a better chance. But from the games i have seen, passing teams just move the ball against us almost at will.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Looks like RPI, Johns Hopkins and MIT are all in the same bracket.

Let's see what comes of that...

Comment

Working...
                                X