Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2018 - 2019: 28 Guys Skate onto a Rink ...

Are we really talking about getting rid of the coach after less than a season and a half?
    This team has made great strides under Smith. He has them playing much better defense and clearing out the defensive zone. The fact that they can't score has nothing to do with his coaching.
    Burgess has at least one great scoring chance in every game, and he converts one in ten. Wiffen is another disappointment. If Polino is going to be our leading goal scorer, we are in big trouble.
    And we are.
    I can only hope that he has done some excellent recruiting for the upcoming seasons.
    My only problem with Smith is how he handles the goalies. I think he has killed Marshall's confidence, and might be doing the same to Savory.
    I don't know what Perry did to him, but he also is being mishandled in my opinion.
    That said, I think we need to give him a little more time to figure this out, before we start a search for a new coach.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      Are we really talking about getting rid of the coach after less than a season and a half?
      This team has made great strides under Smith. He has them playing much better defense and clearing out the defensive zone. The fact that they can't score has nothing to do with his coaching.
      Burgess has at least one great scoring chance in every game, and he converts one in ten. Wiffen is another disappointment. If Polino is going to be our leading goal scorer, we are in big trouble.
      And we are.
      I can only hope that he has done some excellent recruiting for the upcoming seasons.
      My only problem with Smith is how he handles the goalies. I think he has killed Marshall's confidence, and might be doing the same to Savory.
      I don't know what Perry did to him, but he also is being mishandled in my opinion.
      That said, I think we need to give him a little more time to figure this out, before we start a search for a new coach.
      It'd be way too early to talk about the sack at this point. Player quality on the ice is understandable, which is why coaches get 3-5 year contracts. It isn't unreasonable, though, to want signs of progress in the program when it's under new leadership. First year is, "This is the hand I've been dealt." Second year, "Let's mold the systems in the way we want the program to be using what we have, we'll make some progress, and maybe get lucky." Third year, "We're kicking *** and taking names."

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        And we are.
        Totally agree with the goalie situation. Perry played well in his relief appearance but appears to be mired back in the 3rd slot.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

And we are.
          I agree that he deserves more than 1.5 seasons, but I expected improvement at a faster rate. Part of that is due to his cleaning house. As to the recruits he has for future years, only time will tell, but although there are some who are good and I assume that they are committed to his system, there is no game breaker. That can be seen by the fact that NZ has ranked none of them higher than 4.00, and the only 4.00, Michael Cameron, is probably off our list. While we are unlikely to get someone rated at 5.00, some at the 4.25 or 4.50 levels would really help. Our only current player rated above 4.00 is Burgess who was a 4.25, and his injuries have probably diminished that. Reilly, Lacka, and Zieky were 4.00. I think that is it. The current seniors are from before NZ started. Also Leppanen was never evaluated and apparently Gornall wasn't either. While these rankings aren't perfect, of course, there is a definite positive correlation between talent level and how they are rated. (Hayhurst might be worth more than his 3.75.)

Edit: Zieky was 4.00 a year ago. He is 3.50 now.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-11-2018, 02:33 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We have 19 games remaining. We need 6 wins for double digit, 13 for 500.

Let's do this Smith style, and let's take a look at the next 4 games (I know he does 5, but a little tough to do that with two-game series weekends). We have Northeastern, UVM, Harvard, and USMA. UVM (bottom of the table HEA) and USMA (Atlantic) are must win if we want to make some progress. Just do the best we can vs. Northeastern, and hope for something to click vs. Hahvahd. 2-2-0 would be a good goal; I'd be pleased with 2-1-1 or better. Anything lower than 500 on these 4 games would be detrimental.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

Let's do this Smith style, and let's take a look at the next 4 games (I know he does 5, but a little tough to do that with two-game series weekends). We have Northeastern, UVM, Harvard, and USMA. UVM (bottom of the table HEA) and USMA (Atlantic) are must win if we want to make some progress. Just do the best we can vs. Northeastern, and hope for something to click vs. Hahvahd. 2-2-0 would be a good goal; I'd be pleased with 2-1-1 or better. Anything lower than 500 on these 4 games would be detrimental.
              I would agree with the caveat that UVM is at home making that harder.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I would agree with the caveat that UVM is at home making that harder.
                If we can beat Union and UML away, we can beat UVM away.

Comment

With our current goal production, you can't expect any game to be in the win column. Army always plays us tough and as Ralph said, UVM is at home.
                  I believe that we can take those two games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
                  Until we can score goals at a reasonable rate, we can't take anything for granted.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    And we are.
                    I don’t think there’s a need to take shots at any of these players. Polino in college may not be a goal scorer but let’s be honest who has he played with that’s allowed him to be one? After speaking with his father at the Princeton game I never knew that he had major hip surgery the spring before he entered RPI. His dad said he’s finally healthy 18 months after surgery. So both he and Burgess has had major surgery. That’s a lot of any one to come back from. Before you take shots at any of these players remember they are college kids trying to play a sport that they love.

Comment

I didn't write that we can't beat them.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

And we are.
                        I don not think I am as kind as you are. I agree that Perry has been mishandled. Of course i have no clue about what has gone on with personalities but at least when Perry has been on the ice he has looked comfortable. He has not looked awkward and his puck handling is far superior to many. I keep pointing out that we are not dealing with young teenagers. Many of the boys playing at the NCAA Division I level are similar to the younger players in the NHL and AHL. They have been playing this sport their entire lives and should not need all that much impetus to figure out what needs to be done. I think the talent levels among the various teams do not vary by as much as people think but for several years now, I cannot get over the feeling that we just look different on the ice playing as a group out there than most other teams. We seem far more hectic, far more disorganized, and far slower to make decisive plays.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                          I don’t think there’s a need to take shots at any of these players. Polino in college may not be a goal scorer but let’s be honest who has he played with that’s allowed him to be one? After speaking with his father at the Princeton game I never knew that he had major hip surgery the spring before he entered RPI. His dad said he’s finally healthy 18 months after surgery. So both he and Burgess has had major surgery. That’s a lot of any one to come back from. Before you take shots at any of these players remember they are college kids trying to play a sport that they love.
                          These kids do not want to lose, that is for certain. They try their best, each and every one of them. But someone has to figure out how to get the most out of them as lines and pairs. For years now they just do not seem to be in sync for enough minutes each game. The problem as I see it is not their talent or even their desire, it lies elesewhere.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            UVM hasn't been lighting the world on fire but is 4-2 in NC play. (Michigan Brown, Dartmouth , CC) Their keeper Lekkas is red hot --84 saves last weekend , including 48 saves in 2nd CC game. His .936 SP is 4th best nationally.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I don not think I am as kind as you are. I agree that Perry has been mishandled. Of course i have no clue about what has gone on with personalities but at least when Perry has been on the ice he has looked comfortable. He has not looked awkward and his puck handling is far superior to many. I keep pointing out that we are not dealing with young teenagers. Many of the boys playing at the NCAA Division I level are similar to the younger players in the NHL and AHL. They have been playing this sport their entire lives and should not need all that much impetus to figure out what needs to be done. I think the talent levels among the various teams do not vary by as much as people think but for several years now, I cannot get over the feeling that we just look different on the ice playing as a group out there than most other teams. We seem far more hectic, far more disorganized, and far slower to make decisive plays.
                              And as you pointed out recently, our women's team does not seem to suffer from not playing as a group although they seem to have even more trouble scoring goals.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                These kids do not want to lose, that is for certain. They try their best, each and every one of them. But someone has to figure out how to get the most out of them as lines and pairs. For years now they just do not seem to be in sync for enough minutes each game. The problem as I see it is not their talent or even their desire, it lies elesewhere.
                                I listened a while back to an interview our old AC gave when at Denver. He was asked how he was able to be successful so quickly at Dubuque and now at Denver. His answer was simple. I don’t make my players fit into my system. I have them play a system that is suited to them. I adapt my style of play to my players.

To me there in lies the problem. Too many coaches try to make the players they have play a style that they want them to do or be vs what they are capable of being. Cohesiveness, Chemistry it’s all about playing within your self and not what someone else wants you to be.
                                Last edited by Noresmen; 12-11-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X