Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    They scored three on the backup
    Ok...you mentioned that and I missed it. That kinda explains it.

Comment

I see where Notre Dame did outshoot the USA U18 team 37-29. Conversely Ferris State beat them 3-1 despite being outshot 27-45. Bottom line I guess is that the U18 team is very competitive against good college D1 teams, but is certainly beatable.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I see where Notre Dame did outshoot the USA U18 team 37-29. Conversely Ferris State beat them 3-1 despite being outshot 27-45. Bottom line I guess is that the U18 team is very competitive against good college D1 teams, but is certainly beatable.
        There's a lot of 'buts' there, yet years where we got beat pretty handily by the U18 squad were not our best.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          There's a lot of 'buts' there, yet years where we got beat pretty handily by the U18 squad were not our best.
          And it's too early to tell if this will be one of those years when we'll be at our best, or not. And one exhibition game, when everyone on the roster (including Schierhorn) will get a chance to play, brings its own unknowns.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            Talking about the passing of John Gagliardi he referred to him as a great baseball coach. He probably was at some point but probably not what he will be remembered for...
            I actually remembered that one at work today and came here to add it to the list.

Comment

And it's too early to tell if this will be one of those years when we'll be at our best, or not. And one exhibition game, when everyone on the roster (including Schierhorn) will get a chance to play, brings its own unknowns.
              Other than Schierhorn, the entire roster has already seen ice time, so I suspect the only adjustments (unknowns) would be D pairings. Eleven players were on the score sheet last weekend. So the Gophers appear to be fairly deep on offense, and clearly there's some early line chemistry. The best thing for the line combos right now is getting more ice time together. It remains to be seen if Motzko is much like Lucia, who typically adjusted lines for at least half a season or more.

As we all know, Schierhorn had a great start last season, then the wheels came off and he struggled with rebound control and positioning. Even though Robson seems like the man between the pipes for now, Schierhorn is a two-time Big Ten Goaltender of the Year and a First Team All Big Ten selection.

He's worked on his game in the off season, and he'll will be fired up for Sat. It sounds like U18 has put a good team together. But if Schierhorn 4.0 is on his game, I don't see the Gophers losing on Sat.

EDIT: It's a first ever...the Gophers took ALL the honors in the first weekly Big Ten Three Stars of the season with Clayton Phillips taking First Star honors, Brannon McManus earning the Second Star and Sampo Ranta claiming the Third Star. Well deserved! Phillips leads all scorers in pts. McManus missed a hatty by a fraction of an inch with a pipe. And Ranta...he's going to be special (maybe better than his Finn friend Eric Haula).
              Last edited by SteveO; 10-10-2018, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Eleven players were on the score sheet last weekend. So the Gophers appear to be fairly deep on offense, and clearly there's some early line chemistry.
                Not trying to be a downer, but I'm not ready to say the Gophers are necessarily deep when it comes to scoring based on one weekend. And let's be honest, it was really just one night. Obviously I hope it continues but that's still TBD.
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                  Not trying to be a downer, but I'm not ready to say the Gophers are necessarily deep when it comes to scoring based on one weekend. And let's be honest, it was really just one night. Obviously I hope it continues but that's still TBD.
                  Don't be a downer Wes! I guess "appear" was the key word there when I made that projection. I do think there is deep scoring potential on this team. I'm excited to see how this Motzko experiment turns out this season, but of course as you mentioned it's only one series.

Saturday in their barn was pretty good too for a first game despite the nerves and few practices. I'm glad they had a chance to stand and watch UMD raise the NC banner on Sat. Good motivator.

Comment

Don't be a downer Wes! I guess "appear" was the key word there when I made that projection. I do think there is deep scoring potential on this team. I'm excited to see how this Motzko experiment turns out this season, but of course as you mentioned it's only one series.

Saturday in their barn was pretty good too for a first game despite the nerves and few practices. I'm glad they had a chance to stand and watch UMD raise the NC banner on Sat. Good motivator.
                    Slap Shot already called me a downer before the season started, might as well stick with it. I do agree though. With a couple freshmen getting their first goals out of the way early to take some pressure off, I'd like to see McManus be more consistent from the sophomore class, and if Sheehy can return to something closer to his 2016-17 form......yeah, this could be a pretty deep scoring team.

EDIT: Forgot about Rem too!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Slap Shot already called me a downer before the season started, might as well stick with it.

It is only one weekend but I felt there would be several reasons for optimism from last season some of which already showed up against UMD including Phillips, Ranta, Wait, Brinkman, Sheehy and Novak. They didn't lack talent last year at F they just didn't fully materialize it including the PP and I expected that change. The defense will have some growing pains but this group will be an improvement as well and Robson is a stud. I also didn't think we would see the general malaise under new leadership that often crept up in games the past few years that lead to them so often blowing leads. Not saying this to toot my own horn either because who knows what will happen it's a long season. But this is a legit team imho that I don't think is going to be an easy out.

Comment

Other than Schierhorn, the entire roster has already seen ice time, so I suspect the only adjustments (unknowns) would be D pairings.
                        I was thinking of guys like Denman, Marooney, Munson and Burke - not to say they haven't played yet but I don't remember seeing them out there. Then again, the fact that it's an away game might limit how many guys make the trip.

Comment

I was thinking of guys like Denman, Marooney, Munson and Burke - not to say they haven't played yet but I don't remember seeing them out there. Then again, the fact that it's an away game might limit how many guys make the trip.
                          You're right, but as you mentioned do these guys make the trip to Plymouth, Mich. or does Motzko wait until next week against Trinity in our barn? Maybe Denman on D?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

It is only one weekend but I felt there would be several reasons for optimism from last season some of which already showed up against UMD including Phillips, Ranta, Wait, Brinkman, Sheehy and Novak. They didn't lack talent last year at F they just didn't fully materialize it including the PP and I expected that change. The defense will have some growing pains but this group will be an improvement as well and Robson is a stud. I also didn't think we would see the general malaise under new leadership that often crept up in games the past few years that lead to them so often blowing leads. Not saying this to toot my own horn either because who knows what will happen it's a long season. But this is a legit team imho that I don't think is going to be an easy out.
                            I was impressed with Phillips. Would love to see him continue to develop after the disaster of bringing him in midseason last year.

And hey, my sandbagging worked. Finally got rid of that tUMD losing streak, maybe we can start chipping away at that recent bad run against the other MN teams now.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Finally got rid of that tUMD losing streak, maybe we can start chipping away at that recent bad run against the other MN teams now.
                              Excluding the NCAA's, we'll get a chance to reverse recent results with only one other Minnesota team this season: Mankato. Too bad no St. Cloud, that would have been "interesting".

Comment

And hey, my sandbagging worked.
                                Good job Wes! You've been upgraded to the executive "portable" model...

Comment

Working...
                                X