Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Although to the best of my knowledge there's been no discussion about the possibility of them joining the conference, in the near future or otherwise.
    There are rumors. That's about it. No real info right now.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I think you're overdoing it, SteveO. While one win over a bad team is encouraging, it's not enough to get me too excited. That said, I hope you end up being proven right with your optimistic forecast.
      The optimistic forecast originated with Bob Motzko at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        a ton of teams have their best players leave early, and many even have the problem of the recruits saying they are going to college, and then jumping ship to major Juniors, and never playing at all. I think you will find a first round draft pick never stays more than a year or two, unless injured, or doesn't pan out. Is Wheeler the last first rounder to stay anywhere 3 years?
        Actually, by my count 28 players drafted in the 1st Round have played 3 or 4 seasons of college hockey since Wheeler left, including the four mentioned who are currently playing.

College Hockey, Inc., has a website that lists every 1st Round draft pick who played college hockey. While they don't give the stats for how many years they may have played, crosschecking with the hockeydb website gives us these numbers:

163 players drafted in the first round have elected to play college hockey. 13 of those players are still in college.

Of the 150 players who played for a college team and then left, here is the breakdown according to the hockeydb numbers:

4 seasons - 19 players
        3 seasons - 36 players
        2 seasons - 57 players
        1 season - 38 players

If a player left in the middle of a season, for instance during their second year, I still counted it as two years, only because I didn't want to have to get into partial seasons.

I thought the numbers were interesting. I also thought it was interesting in terms of trends.

In the early years, it was very rare to see one stay past two seasons.

Then, in the early 90's you started to see more and more players stay 3 seasons, or even 4. Then there was a stretch in the late 90's and early 00's in which no one stayed just one season and most stayed at least 3.

But, in the last 6-7 years that trend has clearly reversed and now it's the exception rather than the rule when a player sticks around for the 3rd season. I assume that has something to do with the current NHL agreements.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          The optimistic forecast originated with Bob Motzko at the beginning of the season.
          I'm also optimistic beyond the next couple of years, after the team is mostly comprised of his recruits. But this year, not so much.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm also optimistic beyond the next couple of years, after the team is mostly comprised of his recruits. But this year, not so much.
            The next couple seasons will be mostly Lucia's recruits. tDon stated in a recent broadcast, "I'm going to really enjoy the next couple seasons having been a part of signing the new recruits". I concur with tBob's forecast for this season.

Comment

The next couple seasons will be mostly Lucia's recruits.
              Note that I said "beyond the next couple of years".

Comment

It's very possible that next season's batch of recruits is more than half Motzko. They are cutting ties with a lot of Lucia recruits that haven't panned out.

Comment

The next couple seasons will be mostly Lucia's recruits. tDon stated in a recent broadcast, "I'm going to really enjoy the next couple seasons having been a part of signing the new recruits". I concur with tBob's forecast for this season.
                  tDon also said, when in the booth on the night they honored him, "It looks so easy from up here. No wonder I got criticized so much!" (yes, it was sorta tongue in cheek)
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Note that I said "beyond the next couple of years".
                    I know that. I guess you'll check out as a Gopher fan for two seasons then huh? Imho the negative sentiment regarding Lucia's recruiting ability and upcoming recruits is ludicrous and unwarranted. It amazes me sometimes how critical Gopher fans can be of the tDon.

Comment

Trying to buy a ticket to Saturday’s game for my girlfriend. $60+ for Ohio ****ing state after fees. Unreal
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

27 dollars on stubhub

Comment

I guess you'll check out as a Gopher fan for two seasons then huh?
                          Season ticket holder for 46 consecutive years, with no plans to "check out" anytime soon.

Imho the negative sentiment regarding Lucia's recruiting ability and upcoming recruits is ludicrous and unwarranted. It amazes me sometimes how critical Gopher fans can be of the tDon.
                          I was a big supporter until the last couple of years, when I started to think that a change was needed. Losing four consecutive games to Penn State and failing to make the NCAA's was a huge disappointment and solidified that view. And this year's team which, other than Burke, is all Lucia recruits has only reinforced that opinion.

I remain optimistic about the team's future, but that does not include the remainder of this season. I still enjoy going to the games, but I have to say that the lack of effort and all around poor play I witnessed Saturday night made it not fun at all.

Comment

And this year's team which, other than Burke, is all Lucia recruits has only reinforced that opinion.
                            Ranta
                            Denman (though that was more about needing a body on D with limited options out there)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              Ranta
                              Denman (though that was more about needing a body on D with limited options out there)
                              Thanks, forgot about those two. I have to say that Ranta, after showing great promise early, hasn't impressed lately. Makes me wonder if he's feeling OK, or if he's battling some injury.

Comment

I know that. I guess you'll check out as a Gopher fan for two seasons then huh? Imho the negative sentiment regarding Lucia's recruiting ability and upcoming recruits is ludicrous and unwarranted. It amazes me sometimes how critical Gopher fans can be of the tDon.
                                I still love tDon, a change was needed though.

As for dx's situation, yeah, it's ridiculous. I dare say pure bullsh*.

Comment

Working...
                                X