Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Well, I'd argue the defensemen can't be much worse a year from now. I agree with getting games under their belt. Which, for as much as I've been down on Phillips and Brinkman, is why I'd be very much against Novak moving to D in place of one of those two guys.

Hard to say on the forwards. If Walker can find a finishing touch to go with that speed, he could certainly improve from this year to next. We've seen flashes from Ranta. Going to lose a few anchors to graduation which, again, can't make them much worse.
    Check my post. I did exclude freshmen forwards. They are just like the vast majority of our defense - just plain green.

The offense outside of those 4 will not be better next year - how far the four freshmen forwards and very young defense progress will determine what this team looks like next year.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Holding on to a coach multiple seasons too many left a program that usually reloads in a multi year rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        Holding on to a coach multiple seasons too many left a program that usually reloads in a multi year rebuild.
        Yep.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Or a bad team that's overachieving, which given the results of the last 4 games and how badly we got out-played seems about right.
          That's clearly not what he's saying lol. Duluth won/is winning on the back of the best blue line in the country most of which were freshmen last year.
          1. Or as he noted a team that is under-achieving. We'll see how it plays out
          2. That UMD team returned a hell of a lot of talent

But anyway no reason for optimism season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            But anyway no reason for optimism season is over.
            Yeah, that's exactly what he said. lol
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

1. Or as he noted a team that is under-achieving. We'll see how it plays out
              My point is he presented two possibilities and seemed to be acting like they were the only ones.

2. That UMD team returned a hell of a lot of talent
              No argument here obviously but I think their strength last year and this year is their really young blue line and their forward group, at least last year, was closer to average.

There's still plenty of hockey to be played and there is some reason for optimism, namely the fact that we hit the reset button with the coach and things should improve going forward.
              Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-13-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Or a bad team that's overachieving, which given the results of the last 4 games and how badly we got out-played seems about right.
                Well that is an obvious third explanation, that I didn't bother mentioning because it is so obvious and because I really didn't think people thought the Gophs talent was on par with Bentley, Alabama Huntsville, Alaska Anchorage, Sacred heart, Robert Morris, RIT and a bunch of other teams at this level. If you do think they are in the bottom third of the league for talent (and there are a lot of bad teams out there that we don't ever see), you might as well stop watching for the next several years.

BU is in the bottom half the league, tied with perennial powerhouse Mercyhurst in the PWR. Does that automatically mean THEY have no talent? Or could they maybe be more talented than their standing but not performing well? Not like they have been getting any good players in the last several years.
                Last edited by Koho; 12-13-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

It's not a bizarre read given the tone in so many posts. I don't think this team is going to compete for a conference title or a FF berth, but I'm not writing off their chances to show measurable improvement nor that there's not some talent there to build on going into next season and beyond. The impression I'm getting is that the program is so completely rebuilding that we shouldn't even have hope for next year. That's fine everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm entitled to scoff at it.
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-14-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    Well that is an obvious third explanation, that I didn't bother mentioning because it is so obvious and because I really didn't think people thought the Gophs talent was on par with Bentley, Alabama Huntsville, Alaska Anchorage, Sacred heart, Robert Morris, RIT and a bunch of other teams at this level. If you do think they are in the bottom third of the league for talent (and there are a lot of bad teams out there that we don't ever see), you might as well stop watching for the next several years.
                    They're not bottom ten in terms of talent but their talent being in the 30-40 range wouldn't be all that crazy honestly. At best they're in the 20-30 range which I guess wouldn't be considered "bad" but is definitely outside the playoff picture.

BU is in the bottom half the league, tied with perennial powerhouse Mercyhurst in the PWR. Does that automatically mean THEY have no talent? Or could they maybe be more talented than their standing but not performing well? Not like they have been getting any good players in the last several years.
                    I'm not gonna pretend to be familiar with BU but it seems like the talent on that team is doing its thing and being productive while the rest of the roster isn't contributing much. They seem like a top heavy team just glancing at it. Also it's not uncommon that NHL scouts get things wrong so that's also a possibility.
                    The impression I'm getting is that the program is so completely rebuilding that we shouldn't even have hope for next year.
                    Without knowing who's coming in and whether we have any other recruits coming in I don't have high hopes for next year, especially if Robson leaves which seems likely. But I think you should see some improvement which should be the main focus at this point.
                    Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-14-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

It's not a bizarre read given the tone in so many posts. I don't think this team is going to compete for a conference title or a FF berth, but I'm not writing off their chances to show measurable improvement nor that there's not some talent there to build on going into next season and beyond. The impression I'm getting is that the program is so completely rebuilding that we shouldn't even have hope for next year. That's fine everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm entitled to scoff at it.
                      I clash with trix on almost everything lol, but there's a difference between being pessimistic and realistic. For the most part I feel trix is realistic and he watches **** near every game so it's not like he's making it up as he goes. The instant someone isn't duckies and bunnies about something you go with the "oh well season is over" bit.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

And every time I make an observation you get defensive. See how that works?

This team is not above criticism and rightly deserves much of it. Duckies and bunnies not required. But yeah some of the whining imho is over the top and if you don't like that opinion que sera sera.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

It's not like I wasn't overwhelmingly positive about the team during the good years either. There's a handful of people who were negative even then but they were mostly trolls or the couple Eeyores we have.

Comment

And every time I make an observation you get defensive. See how that works?

This team is not above criticism and rightly deserves much of it. Duckies and bunnies not required. But yeah some of the whining imho is over the top and if you don't like that opinion que sera sera.
                            And I'm entitled to scoff. See how that works?

Trix is probably sick of me speaking on his behalf and he has already responded for himself so I'll be done after this. You treated his comments along the same lines or a Scooby or Bonin21 which he clearly is not.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I was thinking the other day, "I wonder if Bob Motzko reads this thread?". So I thought if he does or might sometime during the season it would be appropriate to post a letter of apology explaining how some of us really feel:

Dear Bob,

First of all, we as USCHO Gopher hockey rubes want to thank you for taking the head coaching job from (cough, cough...) Lucia. We really thought he should have been gone three seasons ago, but we'll take what we can get at this point. Anyway, there's actually another reason why we wrote this letter. We as Gopher hockey rubes want to officially apologize for team's pathetic recruits, ahhh....Lucia's recruits who have completely ruined your debut year as coach, and probably the next three as well. I'm at a loss for words. Robson's been good, but let's face it Bob this season is toast. If you didn't show up for the second half none of us would blame you. We just want you to know we really feel your pain. We're really sorry and hope you'll understand we really need you badly here at the U. You're basically our only hope.

Before I forget, I have tell you a story. My daughter and I were watching the Michigan series. As the camera panned across the bench and focused on you, suddenly my 3 year-old daughter blurts out, "Daddy! Why doesn't that man have any hair!?" Of course I was so angry watching the Gophers crap the bed with a complete lack of any forechecking and a pathetic D, that I gave the short answer. "Because he shaves it", I said. And my daughter blurts out again and says, "That's a funny place for a beard!"

We just want you to know that a few of us are really looking forward the 2022-23 season when you'll have your own recruits and once again we can be entertained by REAL Gopher hockey. We are anxiously waiting for that day Bob. In the meantime, we honestly feel sorry for you. By the way, many of the hockey rubes here have great suggestions that you should definitely read and put into practice asap if you want to make the NCAAs.

Best of luck (you'll need it),

USCHO Fan Forum Gopher Thread hockey rubes

Comment

And I'm entitled to scoff. See how that works?

Trix is probably sick of me speaking on his behalf and he has already responded for himself so I'll be done after this. You treated his comments along the same lines or a Scooby or Bonin21 which he clearly is not.
                                Jeezuz you've gone from whining about the program to whining about me. ******ing get over it or put me on ignore.

Comment

Working...
                                X