Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Problem is, the breach of contract for moving it might have cost ND more money than it was worth.
    Yeah. It was guessimate based upon what organizers thought would be a sellout at Orleans a couple years ago. My understanding is they looked into T-Mobile and the rental cost scared them off.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      Yeah. It was guessimate based upon what organizers thought would be a sellout at Orleans a couple years ago. My understanding is they looked into T-Mobile and the rental cost scared them off.
      That's why you talk to your season ticket holders and get an idea of what the demand is. I can't believe UND didn't think to talk to them. Maybe they did, but if that's the case, they really missed the mark.

It's also possible this was contracted before T-Mobile was built or could be guaranteed for this event. Either way, *shrug*.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Stub Hub tickets for the SOLD OUT UND/Gopher game: red line/$1250, blue line/$1000. This event has been in the works since 2015. A lot of fans (UND) were upset that they were deprived tickets. The demand was high, especially after the highly successful UND/BC game at Madison Square Garden last Dec. which sold out @ 11,348 tics.

Me thinks the game would have sold out anyway (with tics available for Gopher fans too ) much like MSG if they moved from the 7500 seat Orleans Arena to the new 17500 seat T-Mobile. Apparently most of the tickets for this U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game were snapped up during pre-sales for UND Champions Club members. Well, it is UND's shindig, so they can do what they want. But IMHO a change in venue would have opened it up to more fans and probably sold out with a huge profit margin, even though renting T-Mobile is substantially higher.

Some pretty cool pregame parties are planned: Friday, Saturday. Showing up donning a Gopher jersey amidst a sea of drunken Whioux fans is at best risky...if you know what I mean. I would do it though, but then again I've been training in martial arts for years.
        I'm taking the risk.

Oh, they want fans to wear green? I can fix that.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
          I'm taking the risk.

Oh, they want fans to wear green? I can fix that.
          Good on ya Wes! You friggin' warrior. Where are your seats?
          Last edited by SteveO; 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Good on ya Wes! You friggin' warrior. Where are your seats?
            Section 103

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

The Gopher's weren't the only thing melting last night. The ice surface at the Orleans looked very slow in the 3rd. I lost track of how many pieces of plexiglass fell out throughout the game.

When Whioux fans started assisting the arena crew by holding the glass in place that was a first for me. I've played in a lot of arenas back in the day, and I've never seen anything close to the disrepair of the Orleans facility.

There were a couple times when apparently the glass was not properly reinstalled and pucks were taking a crazy bounce off the frames. What a dump.
              Last edited by SteveO; 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                The Gopher's weren't the only thing melting last night. The ice surface at the Orleans looked very slow in the 3rd. I lost track of how many pieces of plexiglass fell out throughout the game.

When Whioux fans started assisting the arena crew by holding the glass in place that was a first for me. I've played in a lot of arenas back in the day, and I've never seen anything close to the disrepair of the Orleans facility.

There were a couple times when apparently the glass was not properly reinstalled and pucks were taking a crazy bounce off the frames. What a dump.
                Just seems like a typical rinky dink North Dakota spectacle .

I didn’t watch the game but like I said on GPL this isn’t exactly shocking. Motzko said the team has a lot to improve on and he wasn’t wrong. The Duluth series they certainly showed that they improved in certain areas compared to last year. But they also got badly outshot and outplayed and outchanced most of the weekend and Robson answered the call. And they got some opportunistic scoring on rushes/special teams. From what it sounded like the arena conditions really sucked too and that probably didn’t play to this team’s strengths.

Comment

That was a terrible effort. There probably have been games where the team is not capable of responding at all. But I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed. It will be interesting to see if we've been exposed or whether we'll respond.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    It will be interesting to see if we've been exposed or whether we'll respond.
                    It won't get any easier this coming weekend, in a home-and-home series against a real good Mankato team.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      That was a terrible effort. There probably have been games where the team is not capable of responding at all. But I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed. It will be interesting to see if we've been exposed or whether we'll respond.
                      Give Motzko some time. As my former boss used to say, "you can't make apple pie out of dog****."
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

On the otherside, credit UND for executing an impressive and effective forecheck. They'll win a lot of games if they can do that consistently. They really controlled the offensive zone with some heavy puck possession time...especially in the third holding the Gophers output to 2 SOG for most of it. That was embarrassing.

I think they'll come out strong on Friday at Mariucci, hopefully get a big win against a very good MSUM team and then build off of it. MSUM could be a F4 team this season,so looking ahead we need the PWR pts. too.

I'm concerned about the shot differential, Gophers have a disastrous Corsi ranking of 57, a tad above St. Lawrence, Alaska, and Alabama-Huntsville. We're not getting enough SOG and A-grade chances.

Although the PK wasn't too bad on Sat., the parade to the box killed their momentum and led to the winning goal.

Gotta get this stuff fixed this weekend.
                        Last edited by SteveO; 10-30-2018, 02:34 AM.

Comment

On the otherside, credit UND for executing an impressive and effective forecheck. They'll win a lot of games if they can do that consistently.
                          I get that. There's just no way that that fully explains our inept performance based on how poorly UND has played in every other game this year. The score was not at all reflective of what happened on the ice.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          It won't get any easier this coming weekend, in a home-and-home series against a real good Mankato team.
                          One that outplayed the same UND team that destroyed us. Having said that, I am quietly optimistic that the guys will respond and make a series out of this.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

...I am quietly optimistic that the guys will respond and make a series out of this.
                            If MN State truly deserves their No. 4 ranking the Gophers are definitely the underdogs in this series. And there's no question that if the Gophs play anything like they did against UND you can expect the Mavs to sweep. The larger ice surface at Mariucci should give our talented skaters and playmakers (which were sorely MIA against the Fawks) more room to operate and make things happen. That advantage shifts to Mankato in the rematch at the Verizon Center, with their narrower (90') surface at home, in front of their boisterous crowd. Realistically I am hoping for a split, on the assumption that on Friday at home the Gophers will bring extra motivation to atone for their utter failure on Saturday.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Curious to see how the Gophers respond after the disappointing effort in Vegas. Hopefully this ends up being like UND's super bowl while the Gophers move on to better things. We shall see. Another good non-conference opponent coming up with PWR implications on the line. Should be a fun weekend.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                                Curious to see how the Gophers respond after the disappointing effort in Vegas. Hopefully this ends up being like UND's super bowl while the Gophers move on to better things. We shall see. Another good non-conference opponent coming up with PWR implications on the line. Should be a fun weekend.
                                Will just be good to watch another game finally. Hoping Saturday I can have a few beers and be ready to sleep in the next day, with a deer already in the garage, while cheering for the Gophs to get a sweep.
                                Last edited by Koho; 11-01-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X