Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    So what's the solution? Start bringing in Canadians?
    To paraphrase:

Motzko said there is a cuteness on this team that doesn't belong in hockey.

In other words (my words), they want to look good, and if they lose, meh. They look good. They don't want to look bad, even if they win. That has to change. And I think Motzko is gonna put a boot in the team's arse, and make that change.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

He fixes the cable?
    So what's the solution? Start bringing in Canadians?
    They already have one, the goalie that had five hung on him tonight. (I don't blame him, he didn't have much help.)

I agree with the cute thing. The Gophers over the last 10 years love to go for highlight reel plays. I'm just saying it will take some time to change that. The problem isn't being willing to dish out a hit, it's not being willing to get hit. Like I said earlier, I think they'll get it straightened out eventually.

As for when is eventually, I don't know. I don't have high expectations this season. I just want them to look a good amount better at the end than they do now.

Edit: Robson only gave up four. My bad.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 11-03-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    They are Lucia's guys. This is what happens when you hold onto a coach for multiple years too many.
    That's what comes to mind. The damage appears to be faar worse than expected. Remember this is the same team that dropped lost 3 to Michigan, 3 to ND and dropped four straight to end last season.

Can we bench our seniors? Worst plus minus on the team:

Gates -4
    Novak -4
    Sheehy -3
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    They already have one, the goalie that had five hung on him tonight. (I don't blame him, he didn't have much help.)
    Point of clarification: the 5th goal was on Schierhorn, not Robson. And it was a complete misplay on Schierhorn's part.
    Of the four goals scored on Robson, only the first - when he didn't completely cover the near side next to the post - was on him. He had virtually no chance on Nos. 2, 3 & 4.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Motzko said there is a cuteness on this team that doesn't belong in hockey.
    I agree with the cute thing. The Gophers over the last 10 years love to go for highlight reel plays.
    I don't think its a highlight reel thing. I just don't think they have the toughness to drive to the net under any circumstance. Too much Tommy Novak.
    Go Gophers!

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I don't think its a highlight reel thing. I just don't think they have the toughness to drive to the net under any circumstance. Too much Tommy Novak.
    "Highlight reel" is probably the wrong way to describe it, I'll admit. They want a nice, clean, pretty passing play goal from just inside the circles. Like you mentioned, any closer and you might have to use some muscles.

"Highlight reel" is probably the wrong way to describe it, I'll admit. They want a nice, clean, pretty passing play goal from just inside the circles. Like you mentioned, any closer and you might have to use some muscles.
    This. They want the tic-tac-toe crisp goal, instead of the Dino Ciccarelli special.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

As for when is eventually, I don't know. I don't have high expectations this season. I just want them to look a good amount better at the end than they do now
    Given the history of your program high expectations is the norm and no one comes and plays there without having those expectations. It's still early yet and last season around this time Michigan fans were having the same lamentations and look how far they ended up going. It may well turn around but we'll see.

He fixes the cable?
    Given the history of your program high expectations is the norm and no one comes and plays there without having those expectations
    Great. I'll go ahead and let everyone else have those high expectations. Are you saying that someone can't be level-headed about this? "Either your team wins or you should be freaking out!"

Are you saying that someone can't be level-headed about this? "Either your team wins or you should be freaking out!"
    Not at all. Only suggesting that's it's still early enough in the season to not be overly worried. Every team has ups & downs but some programs aren't as used to the downs as others.

He fixes the cable?
    Not at all. Only suggesting that's it's still early enough in the season to not be overly worried. Every team has ups & downs but some programs aren't as used to the downs as others.
    Gotcha. We're arguing the same point then.

What I saw was the game last night was largely won off Gopher turnovers. Goal #1: Robson didn't cover the short side pipe, #2: turnover by Nanne, #3 and #4: turnovers by Phillips. The 5th goal was on Schierhorn.

The Gophers started slow, but had several Grade A scoring chances as the game progressed. But credit MSUM, they're a hard skating team, opportunistic, and they play the open areas very well.

I didn't like Robson's movement in the crease, with no big time saves as in previous games. He was off his game last night. Puck movement on the PP looked much better than Vegas. But the story for the Gopher offense and PP all game was they didn't bury their chances.

It's obvious to me the Gophers are still adjusting to Motzko's systems while trying to find some team identity. When is the last time the Gophers were called for "Too Many Men" twice? I like Motzko's emphasis on controlled zone entry over the dump 'n chase. But that puts a lot more stress on line chemistry and making plays, which will develop over time. It's still early in the season and the sky is NOT falling. Correct those turnovers and they got a good shot at a win on the road tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    What I saw was the game last night was largely won off Gopher turnovers.
    As I said after the Vegas game:

'That was a terrible effort. I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed.'
    Go Gophers!

As I said after the Vegas game:

'That was a terrible effort. I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed.'
    I didn't have a problem with the overall effort last night. Novak and a couple others were coasting on autopilot for a couple goals which was frustrating.

Robson had a short side and two five holes. That's about as embarrassing as it gets for a goalie.

I don't like Nanne's play so far this season. He been a turnover machine. Somebody also needs to tell him he's not a Bobby Orr clone equipped to go solo against an entire Mavs team. Overall the D is young this season and really needs to tighten things up.

I didn't have a problem with the overall effort last night. Novak and a couple others were coasting on autopilot for a couple goals which was frustrating.

Robson had a short side and two five holes. That's about as embarrassing as it gets for a goalie.

I don't like Nanne's play so far this season. He been a turnover machine. Somebody also needs to tell him he's not a Bobby Orr clone equipped to go solo against an entire Mavs team. Overall the D is young this season and really needs to tighten things up.
    The team had a better effort than in Vegas. But that's not saying much. They were playing at home and should have been ready 'to take it out on someone'. Since Kloos left, our current seniors have to put it mildly not improved. Unlike other seniors from competing teams, they're just not on the ice leaders.
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 11-03-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Go Gophers!

The team had a better effort than in Vegas. But that's not saying much. They had were playing at home and should have been ready 'to take it out on someone'. Since Kloos left, our current seniors have to put it mildly not improved. Unlike other seniors from competing teams, they're just not on the ice leaders.
    We definitely need some spark up front from the seniors. I think Sheehy is a key player, but he had his best season with feeds from Kloos. I miss Kloos, he had great vision, a couple extra gears and an accurate quick release shot. The Captain has to step up and lead, not just talk.

Headline in this morning's StarTribune:

"Cutesy Gophers hockey routed by Mavericks in series opener"
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Eh, the five hole goals were one timer tap ins and the short side goal while not great at was still within the scoring chance area from what I recall.

Not his best game but we canít realistically expect the Duluth series every weekend either. He can steal wins but not every weekend and eventually he showed that he was human against PSU last year.

Youíre spot on about Nanne, Iíve never been impressed though last year was after not having played in forever. He needs to stop with the stupid penalties too.

Hey, it's not like we are getting beat by really bad teams, like Bucky was.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Due to tech difficulties, announcing was done over a phone for a bit tonight. Not. Even. Kidding.

Thread Information