Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Can we pls add more games to the schedule? We get a good series against UMD and then the team practically takes the next month off - one good game, just one and a couple of exhibition games in a whole month. Either that or give us 60 degree weather.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I assume this filters out D&C when it’s not being used to generate offense?

I’m a big proponent of carrying a puck in, just to be clear.

Edit: and even if it doesn’t, it should be clear to everyone the takeaway. I think you’ve posted this a number of times on here. It’s really stark.
    Yeah, I listed a couple when not generating offense. Another one when generating offense is when a opposing team has a stellar defensive unit vs a mediocre offense. But even then, the Wild performed really well on SOG and Gs a few years ago with controlled zone entry (in the study I posted off season), but their offense still wasn't good enough, and for other reasons as well they missed the playoffs.

I commented on it early last season dx, but I posted a different graphic (a longitudinal study on 4 NHL teams) in the off season thread.

Last season, I heard Lucia (and players) talk about "getting pucks deep" or "getting pucks behind the D" as an offensive tactic fairly often. I liked the change I saw on Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Can we pls add more games to the schedule? We get a good series against UMD and then the team practically takes the next month off - one good game, just one and a couple of exhibition games in a whole month. Either that or give us 60 degree weather.
    My understanding is the Gopher staff struggled with scheduling D1 teams for these two weeks. After thinking about it though, they have a chance to try some lines out and give guys more playing time together before they go to Vegas and curb stomp UND.
    Last edited by SteveO; 10-16-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    My understanding is the Gopher staff struggled with scheduling D1 teams for these two weeks. After thinking about it though, they have a chance to try some lines out and give guys more playing time together before they go to Vegas and curb stomp UND.
    Yeah, but I'll have to check myself into the ER just waiting.
    Go Gophers!

I'm excited for the season to rev up too. I might get flamed for this, but this Gopher team will be the #1 team in the nation soon. Just a thought...

Enjoy the fall while you can. For the first time I can ever think of you're going to have games EVERY weekend except Christmas break the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Enjoy the fall while you can. For the first time I can ever think of you're going to have games EVERY weekend except Christmas break the rest of the way.
    Just hope the team doesn't get too fatigued (physical + mental) later in the season heading into playoffs.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Just hope the team doesn't get too fatigued (physical + mental) later in the season heading into playoffs.
    One might say use the depth to rotate players through. But the problem is that when ploys are used...often teams lose it psychologially.
    Go Gophers!

Gophers dominated in 7-1 win over Sparty 2.0, SOG UM 50/21 TW. Motzko played all three goalies with each taking a period. Puck possession time was off the charts. Third 7 goal game in row.

Vegas here we come!

Stub Hub tickets for the SOLD OUT UND/Gopher game: red line/$1250, blue line/$1000. This event has been in the works since 2015. A lot of fans (UND) were upset that they were deprived tickets. The demand was high, especially after the highly successful UND/BC game at Madison Square Garden last Dec. which sold out @ 11,348 tics.

Me thinks the game would have sold out anyway (with tics available for Gopher fans too ) much like MSG if they moved from the 7500 seat Orleans Arena to the new 17500 seat T-Mobile. Apparently most of the tickets for this U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game were snapped up during pre-sales for UND Champions Club members. Well, it is UND's shindig, so they can do what they want. But IMHO a change in venue would have opened it up to more fans and probably sold out with a huge profit margin, even though renting T-Mobile is substantially higher.

Some pretty cool pregame parties are planned: Friday, Saturday. Showing up donning a Gopher jersey amidst a sea of drunken Whioux fans is at best risky...if you know what I mean. I would do it though, but then again I've been training in martial arts for years.

Lucia Apologist

Problem is, the breach of contract for moving it might have cost ND more money than it was worth.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Problem is, the breach of contract for moving it might have cost ND more money than it was worth.
    Yeah. It was guessimate based upon what organizers thought would be a sellout at Orleans a couple years ago. My understanding is they looked into T-Mobile and the rental cost scared them off.

Lucia Apologist

Yeah. It was guessimate based upon what organizers thought would be a sellout at Orleans a couple years ago. My understanding is they looked into T-Mobile and the rental cost scared them off.
    That's why you talk to your season ticket holders and get an idea of what the demand is. I can't believe UND didn't think to talk to them. Maybe they did, but if that's the case, they really missed the mark.

It's also possible this was contracted before T-Mobile was built or could be guaranteed for this event. Either way, *shrug*.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Stub Hub tickets for the SOLD OUT UND/Gopher game: red line/$1250, blue line/$1000. This event has been in the works since 2015. A lot of fans (UND) were upset that they were deprived tickets. The demand was high, especially after the highly successful UND/BC game at Madison Square Garden last Dec. which sold out @ 11,348 tics.

Me thinks the game would have sold out anyway (with tics available for Gopher fans too ) much like MSG if they moved from the 7500 seat Orleans Arena to the new 17500 seat T-Mobile. Apparently most of the tickets for this U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game were snapped up during pre-sales for UND Champions Club members. Well, it is UND's shindig, so they can do what they want. But IMHO a change in venue would have opened it up to more fans and probably sold out with a huge profit margin, even though renting T-Mobile is substantially higher.

Some pretty cool pregame parties are planned: Friday, Saturday. Showing up donning a Gopher jersey amidst a sea of drunken Whioux fans is at best risky...if you know what I mean. I would do it though, but then again I've been training in martial arts for years.
    I'm taking the risk.

Oh, they want fans to wear green? I can fix that.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gopher wes View Post
    I'm taking the risk.

Oh, they want fans to wear green? I can fix that.
    Good on ya Wes! You friggin' warrior. Where are your seats?
    Last edited by SteveO; 10-22-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Good on ya Wes! You friggin' warrior. Where are your seats?
    Section 103
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

The Gopher's weren't the only thing melting last night. The ice surface at the Orleans looked very slow in the 3rd. I lost track of how many pieces of plexiglass fell out throughout the game.

When Whioux fans started assisting the arena crew by holding the glass in place that was a first for me. I've played in a lot of arenas back in the day, and I've never seen anything close to the disrepair of the Orleans facility.

There were a couple times when apparently the glass was not properly reinstalled and pucks were taking a crazy bounce off the frames. What a dump.
    Last edited by SteveO; 10-28-2018 at 09:14 AM.

The Gopher's weren't the only thing melting last night. The ice surface at the Orleans looked very slow in the 3rd. I lost track of how many pieces of plexiglass fell out throughout the game.

When Whioux fans started assisting the arena crew by holding the glass in place that was a first for me. I've played in a lot of arenas back in the day, and I've never seen anything close to the disrepair of the Orleans facility.

There were a couple times when apparently the glass was not properly reinstalled and pucks were taking a crazy bounce off the frames. What a dump.
    Just seems like a typical rinky dink North Dakota spectacle .

I didnít watch the game but like I said on GPL this isnít exactly shocking. Motzko said the team has a lot to improve on and he wasnít wrong. The Duluth series they certainly showed that they improved in certain areas compared to last year. But they also got badly outshot and outplayed and outchanced most of the weekend and Robson answered the call. And they got some opportunistic scoring on rushes/special teams. From what it sounded like the arena conditions really sucked too and that probably didnít play to this teamís strengths.

That was a terrible effort. There probably have been games where the team is not capable of responding at all. But I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed. It will be interesting to see if we've been exposed or whether we'll respond.
    Go Gophers!

It will be interesting to see if we've been exposed or whether we'll respond.
    It won't get any easier this coming weekend, in a home-and-home series against a real good Mankato team.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    That was a terrible effort. There probably have been games where the team is not capable of responding at all. But I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed. It will be interesting to see if we've been exposed or whether we'll respond.
    Give Motzko some time. As my former boss used to say, "you can't make apple pie out of dog****."

Thread Information