Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Forwards constantly passing it back to the D makes them 'cute'. Our senior forwards need to have a better than minus 17 for one month of hockey. They need to drive to the net.
    Passing it back to the D to open up space down low is a vital part of creating offense in this sport. Yes they need to be better at driving to the net but the D also needs to be better at play making and none of them appear to be good at it. Which is kinda ridiculous to think about because it's the main reason Zuhlsdorf and Phillips got recruited.

No more relying on the D to save their bacon and no more hoping to win by having our D and Robson come up with a 1 GA.
    No argument there obviously, the offense has been bad for a while and things have mostly gotten worse under Motzko thus far (though the competition the first three series was tough).

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      There will be no better opportunity for it to "get better" than this weekend. St. Lawrence is 1-8, and second from the very bottom (#59 of 60) in the Pairwise.

Anything less than a sweep would be an embarrassment.
      ND is better than its record. But our performance there could qualify as embarrassing.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Like I said about the exhibitions, it's a weekend that you can't read into too much even if both games end up 7-1. Need to prove it consistently against good opponents. Take care of business this weekend then on to the next one.

On the flip side yes if they lose you can scrutinize.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Making the tournament would be a solid success for Bob's first year. Expecting anything beyond that isn't really realistic.
          I agree but I don't think a lot of people are on board with acquiescing those expectations including yourself.

Comment

I've been saying that would make a solid season since he was hired probably. Unfortunately right now they don't look like a tournament team but I've lost no faith in Bob whatsoever.

If he doesn't make it three years in a row I'll be calling for his head as loud as I was when the last coach did that.

Miss it this year and next and you'll have tons of ****ed people but the story of the season will determine who to be mad at.

Comment

There will be no better opportunity for it to "get better" than this weekend. St. Lawrence is 1-8, and second from the very bottom (#59 of 60) in the Pairwise.

Anything less than a sweep would be an embarrassment.
              In % shots taken vs opponents, Gophers are 56th and St. Lawrence 58th in the nation. Happy is right...this is exactly the shooting gallery the Gophers need to build their confidence. Let them eat cupcakes!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                In % shots taken vs opponents, Gophers are 56th and St. Lawrence 58th in the nation. Happy is right...this is exactly the shooting gallery the Gophers need to build their confidence. Let them eat cupcakes!
                56th (terrible!) vs. 58th (even worse!): you have to take the quality of opponents each team has played into account. The better ones will limit the number of quality chances and force shots from long range or bad angles. The relative quality of the opposition also explains the big difference in where the two stand in the Pairwise.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

P.S. Had to go to Page 3 of this Forum to find a St. Lawrence thread, and in it there's a grand total of two posts. Apparently since the one reply three weeks ago there's been no reason for their fan base to become more optimistic about their season.

https://saintsathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

Comment

Season ticket holder here for many years, and I watch and read all the emails from GopherSports as they pertain to men's hockey pretty carefully. I don't recall any special deals for $15 "guest tickets" and am pretty sure they are not being offered now. If I do see any attractive discounted offers for the Thanksgiving weekend games I'll try to post them here.
                    So I got an answer from the ticket office, special for season ticket holders is $5 off for guests, so essentially the 'discount' about covers the fees. Not as big as I thought. So wife's cousin got us tics for Friday but went with most expensive seats, so I'll be paying more for the pair to see a crappy opponent than I have paid in years.

I complained about a couple things to the ticket office and one thing mentioned is that while they don't sell advanced standing room tickets anymore, they do on game day. Does anyone know the price?

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      So I got an answer from the ticket office, special for season ticket holders is $5 off for guests, so essentially the 'discount' about covers the fees. Not as big as I thought. So wife's cousin got us tics for Friday but went with most expensive seats, so I'll be paying more for the pair to see a crappy opponent than I have paid in years.

I complained about a couple things to the ticket office and one thing mentioned is that while they don't sell advanced standing room tickets anymore, they do on game day. Does anyone know the price?
                      I just checked at Gophersports and I didn't see a price for SRO. But I was able to order redline seats for $35 ea. Cheap seats are $21. Crappy team, but lots of target practice for the Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        I just checked at Gophersports and I didn't see a price for SRO. But I was able to order redline seats for $35 ea. Cheap seats are $21. Crappy team, but lots of target practice for the Gophers.
                        Will the Gophers be shooting at the S, the L, or the U on their jerseys?

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Given the shooting accuracy the Gophers displayed in Madison, aiming for the center of the SLU goalie's jersey may be a great strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

d. All of the above

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              P.S. Had to go to Page 3 of this Forum to find a St. Lawrence thread, and in it there's a grand total of two posts. Apparently since the one reply three weeks ago there's been no reason for their fan base to become more optimistic about their season.

https://saintsathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey
                              They moved to Facebook.

When are you going to fulfill your part of the contract and revisit the North Country?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                When are you going to fulfill your part of the contract and revisit the North Country?
                                Minneapolis is further north than Canton so we are already in the "North Country".

Seriously, if the two programs signed a "home and home" contract I would expect Minnesota to live up to it, hopefully next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X