Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Not at all. Only suggesting that's it's still early enough in the season to not be overly worried. Every team has ups & downs but some programs aren't as used to the downs as others.
    Gotcha. We're arguing the same point then.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

What I saw was the game last night was largely won off Gopher turnovers. Goal #1: Robson didn't cover the short side pipe, #2: turnover by Nanne, #3 and #4: turnovers by Phillips. The 5th goal was on Schierhorn.

The Gophers started slow, but had several Grade A scoring chances as the game progressed. But credit MSUM, they're a hard skating team, opportunistic, and they play the open areas very well.

I didn't like Robson's movement in the crease, with no big time saves as in previous games. He was off his game last night. Puck movement on the PP looked much better than Vegas. But the story for the Gopher offense and PP all game was they didn't bury their chances.

It's obvious to me the Gophers are still adjusting to Motzko's systems while trying to find some team identity. When is the last time the Gophers were called for "Too Many Men" twice? I like Motzko's emphasis on controlled zone entry over the dump 'n chase. But that puts a lot more stress on line chemistry and making plays, which will develop over time. It's still early in the season and the sky is NOT falling. Correct those turnovers and they got a good shot at a win on the road tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        What I saw was the game last night was largely won off Gopher turnovers.
        As I said after the Vegas game:

'That was a terrible effort. I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed.'
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          As I said after the Vegas game:

'That was a terrible effort. I don't think I've ever seen a college game with as many turnovers as we committed.'
          I didn't have a problem with the overall effort last night. Novak and a couple others were coasting on autopilot for a couple goals which was frustrating.

Robson had a short side and two five holes. That's about as embarrassing as it gets for a goalie.

I don't like Nanne's play so far this season. He been a turnover machine. Somebody also needs to tell him he's not a Bobby Orr clone equipped to go solo against an entire Mavs team. Overall the D is young this season and really needs to tighten things up.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            I didn't have a problem with the overall effort last night. Novak and a couple others were coasting on autopilot for a couple goals which was frustrating.

Robson had a short side and two five holes. That's about as embarrassing as it gets for a goalie.

I don't like Nanne's play so far this season. He been a turnover machine. Somebody also needs to tell him he's not a Bobby Orr clone equipped to go solo against an entire Mavs team. Overall the D is young this season and really needs to tighten things up.
            The team had a better effort than in Vegas. But that's not saying much. They were playing at home and should have been ready 'to take it out on someone'. Since Kloos left, our current seniors have to put it mildly not improved. Unlike other seniors from competing teams, they're just not on the ice leaders.
            Last edited by 5mn_Major; 11-03-2018, 11:54 AM.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              The team had a better effort than in Vegas. But that's not saying much. They had were playing at home and should have been ready 'to take it out on someone'. Since Kloos left, our current seniors have to put it mildly not improved. Unlike other seniors from competing teams, they're just not on the ice leaders.
              We definitely need some spark up front from the seniors. I think Sheehy is a key player, but he had his best season with feeds from Kloos. I miss Kloos, he had great vision, a couple extra gears and an accurate quick release shot. The Captain has to step up and lead, not just talk.

Comment

Headline in this morning's StarTribune:

"Cutesy Gophers hockey routed by Mavericks in series opener"
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post

Eh, the five hole goals were one timer tap ins and the short side goal while not great at was still within the scoring chance area from what I recall.

Not his best game but we can’t realistically expect the Duluth series every weekend either. He can steal wins but not every weekend and eventually he showed that he was human against PSU last year.

You’re spot on about Nanne, I’ve never been impressed though last year was after not having played in forever. He needs to stop with the stupid penalties too.

Comment

Hey, it's not like we are getting beat by really bad teams, like Bucky was.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Due to tech difficulties, announcing was done over a phone for a bit tonight. Not. Even. Kidding.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        This is why I think Kato isn't 5-1 better. 4-2, 3-1, that sorta thing is where my head is at. We CAN play, it's a matter of keeping the energy up, or showing effort in the first place.
                        Tonight was a better indicator of where the teams are at, IMO. Still lost. Still sucks.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Tonight was a better indicator of where the teams are at, IMO. Still lost. Still sucks.
                          Thought Bob did a nice job adjusting for the Gophs tonight and they did a really good job slowing the game down and clogging up lanes with bodies and sticks. Very little space out there, where I feel like the Mavs took advantage of their team speed on the big ice last night and the Gophers did a good job eliminating that tonight.
                          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

It’d be hard to not play better on D. The offense apparently is still a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              It’d be hard to not play better on D. The offense apparently is still a problem.
                              Agreed. Not going to win many games scoring only one goal.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Yeah , I thought the compete level for the Gophers was much better last night. Gopher D made adjustments from Friday and locked down MSUM in a defensive low scoring/low SOG battle for both teams.

I'm with Motzko on the major shakeup with the lines. Sammy has earned that top line spot at C with his motor, Novak's poor effort dropped him to the checking line, Pitlick on second line might work well with McManus and Norman, and Romanko with Marooney and Mclaughlin will hopefully generate more offense on the 3rd line.

This was a very close game and really could have gone either way. Both teams had two pipes (Gophers/Pitlick-2). Unfortunately, MSUM got the bounce on the winning goal: A short-handed rush and weak shot by Jaremko with the rebound deflecting off Schierhorn's pads hitting Pitlick’s skate and in. That's hockey.

Last three games Gophers have been outscored 10-3. That's pathetic. Raboin is tightening up the D, Motzko is juggling lines to increase production.

In 4 starts, Robson is avg. 3 GA/game. I hope he starts Schierhorn against the BADgers.

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                Eh, the five hole goals were one timer tap ins and the short side goal while not great at was still within the scoring chance area from what I recall.

Not his best game but we can’t realistically expect the Duluth series every weekend either. He can steal wins but not every weekend and eventually he showed that he was human against PSU last year.

You’re spot on about Nanne, I’ve never been impressed though last year was after not having played in forever. He needs to stop with the stupid penalties too.
                                Tap-ins? Both goals were low shots from the top of the crease into the 5-hole. Those weren't tap-ins. First G was b-slide with no paddle, second was a rebound off of Novak's stick laid out in front for a shot and another b-slide by Robson with no paddle. On a b-slide a goalie has to have the paddle down, even a slant is ok to plug the 'funnel' on the blocker side.

Comment

Working...
                                X