Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

I have to say...they actually had grit. They were ahead by a goal and out shot UMD on the road in the second. I forgive them for playing for the tie late and the reffing didn't help.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I have to say...they actually had grit. They were ahead by a goal and out shot UMD on the road in the second. I forgive them for playing for the tie late and the reffing didn't help.
      The reffing was consistent. There was one soft call for both sides, but overall? That was a very well-reffed game, IMO. They didn't overreact to each of the team's "possible 5s" (no chance on 5s on either call), they were calling it even, and kept an even tone to the game.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        The reffing was consistent.
        Disagree. From a pure number of minutes it was 2 to 1. So that's a no. The last two were called in the last 10 of a tied game, and only then the refs swallowed the whistle. So that's a no. But most importantly, the two boarding calls - the one on the Gophers - probably should have been called, but both players were skating hard towards the boards on their own. The one on UMD - the Gopher was standing still, he had his back to the UMD player and then was sent into the boards. And even then, the ref wasn't calling it and had to be over ruled (What??). And what's more unless I'm wrong and hip checks are allowed, the last call in a tied game with about 8 minutes left was on a totally legal play.

No. Not at all consistent.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

The tUMD 2 that was a possible (cough) five was rightfully ruled a two. The Gopher 2 was a two, I think the refs did the (cough) courtesy of "reviewing it" but that was a two. He had contact. That kind of contact, per the rules, rightfully or not, will be called. The hip check, that's a 2. Close enough to the knees. Hockey and NFL are mirroring each other right now with the rules. Head, knees....gonna get called. So, in that aspect, I feel the refs called a consistent game, overall.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            And what's more unless I'm wrong and hip checks are allowed, the last call in a tied game with about 8 minutes left was on a totally legal play.
            I don't like it either, but that wasn't the first time I've seen a player get called for tripping on WHAT USED TO BE a perfectly legal "Curt Giles type" of hip check. Now, if you get too low, in the eyes of the ref, you get called.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Usually ignore discussion about the call, but tonight was brutal.

Clymer doing his usual attempt to use words that he doens't quite understand. Then wondering if Pitlick would get 5 for a penalty that shouldn't have been called. (Guy turned at last second and Pitlick essentially slowed as he could in 1 second, and just pinned him against the boards, once he saw they turn.

Doug - Can't remember all of the gaffs - I was trying to:
              1. 'Santo Ranta'
              2. 'Good to see freshman are getting their first goals tonight, McMannus with two and Wait and Walker with one. Other goals were returning players.'
              3. 'Santo Ranta is the next freshman to get his first goal tonight.' (He scored last night!).
              4. 'And Duluth scores 4 on 4.' (It was 4 on 3)
              5. Score was 3 to 2 when MN got number 4. 'Well that makes it 4 to 3.'
              6. When MN still had 6 goals, 'Duluth giving up 7 goals tonight, and another last night, to make 6 for the weekend."

I really wish there were someway to get the radio guys on TV.

Apparently Mittlesdorf is no longer on the team? (After only one game without an appearance, I wouldn't count on it though.)
              Last edited by Koho; 10-07-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

But it is nice to finally defeat Duluth with a clear victory, after so fricken' long! Freshman look promising, especially that shot of Ranta's. Walker stood out a few times. Of course it is a long season. I remember Vinnie's first game, I thought he was going to be a diamond in the rough, but he has a lot of games his first year where he disappeared.

Phillips is also looking like he is ready to play.

And good to see some of the expected goalscorers scoring. D didn't appear to be a liability.

Hope Blake can step right in. Heard now that it is a wrist. Tough for stickhandling, but better than a wrist for staying in shape.

Comment

Shows how dead this site has become, when I am the first one to mention on the WI website that 'Santo" is on a goal a game pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    Shows how dead this site has become, when I am the first one to mention on the WI website that 'Santo" is on a goal a game pace.
                    I nearly popped in on them to mention Ranta...but decided I didn't want to be a d!ck

Comment

The thought crossed my mind.....

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

So a nice start to the season. Really nice to finally get that UMD monkey off our backs. Hard to read too much into the first weekend, but positive signs from some of those freshman forwards. Phillips with some great productivity, and also a bit of grit - he won a great battle in front of the net that led to Pitlick's fantastic goal.

Also interesting how Motzko would pretty regularly put together teams at St. Cloud that would get outshot by a decent margin but still come away with plenty of offense and win games. Obviously you can't credit him for instilling that type of identity already, but still pretty interesting to see. Makes one wonder if there is something about his in-game management that has helped produce that with his teams. Or maybe it's just happy coincidence.

Only down side on the night is that this game, while televised on FSN, didn't show up on BTN2Go. Seeing as I live out-of-state the BTN app is my only way of viewing these FSN games.
                        I ended up dropping the coin on the BTN+ sub, because when it comes to Gopher Hockey I am a real crack-head, but I'm wondering if this is a policy change for BTN or what the deal is. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated. I asked on GPL and it was crickets.

Comment

Not sure if breaking an eight game losing streak dating back to 2014 gives Gopher fans bragging rights, but this weekend against the Dogs was definitely long overdue. Overall the Gophers were energized and never trailed in the series. Good to see the offense pour it on tonight with a vengeance and shell shock the Dogs, who had not given up more than 5 goals in 28 previous games.

Special shout out to the BADgers for screwing up on Sampo Ranta. Seems like he'll be a very special player for the Gophers with a quick release, dynamite shot. Pitlick's full ice burst and goal was classic Rem. Fun to watch.

On the negative side, too many penalties and not many blocked shots tonight allowing 46 SOG!? Sadek and Rossini need to THINK better position hockey, especially around the net. IMO Clayton Phillips is the best D on the squad right now and unlike his short stint last season, this weekend he found his game. He plays smart with an aggressive edge. Lots of room for improvement on this young D corp for the Gophers. But UMD had 5 FR D last season and we know what they accomplished down the stretch.

Comment

I liked what I saw overall. Shore up that D, with SOG and GA. I will say for this weekend alone, we got our swagger. We are better than you. Felt good.

Comment

Sure there are better players. I quite impressed by Wait's play. I had low expectations and he swatted those out of the way - loved the 3rd line tonight. Ranto looked pretty good also.

Its one series, but the team does have the grit I noticed yesterday...and is deep. The 4th line is a load with two seniors and a junior. Not sure how much they'll score, but that will be one tough line for most teams to match up against.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                                Lots of room for improvement on this young D corp for the Gophers. But UMD had 5 FR D last season and we know what they accomplished down the stretch.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Shore up that D, with SOG and GA. I will say for this weekend alone, we got our swagger. We are better than you. Felt good.
                                I agree with both of your comments. Overall our entire team played great, but the GA was worrisome and left a lot of room for improvement. On too many occasions Mat Robson had to come up huge to bail our (lack of) team D out. Definitely room for improvement, especially deep around and in front our net.

But overall I liked the way we broke the puck out of own end once we got possession. A lot of smart, short passes to the open guy, while taking very little risk of a costly turnover - something we didn't see nearly enough of last season.

It was a blast being there to see Motzko's first win at home. Despite rather disappointing attendance, Gopher fans who did show up were very enthusiastic and supportive, particularly from the three student sections, which were pretty full. I came away thinking that this is a very exciting team that more area hockey fans need to come and see for themselves.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X