Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: University of Minnesota Bragging Rights: Gophers vs Bulldogs

University of Minnesota Bragging Rights: Gophers vs Bulldogs

The Bulldogs and Gophers open the 2018-2019 season this Saturday night at Amsoil Arena. Will the Bulldogs add to their eight straight wins vs the Gophers?

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Re: University of Minnesota Bragging Rights: Gophers vs Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Duluthian View Post
    Will the Bulldogs add to their eight straight wins vs the Gophers?
    Yes. I'm not even sure why the Gophers are bothering to make the trip.

Duluth wins 20-0 on Saturday. tDogs feel bad on Sunday and keep it under double digits to keep the 8 Gopher fans in attendance at Mariucci from booing too loudly, 9-0 UMD.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

I got the juice

These two teams have a history of spoiling banner night, so have to side with history. I don't expect Gophers can sweep though so predicting two wins for the road teams.
    Much higher expectations rest on the Bulldogs this year but I think with a new coach and relaxed expectations, Gophers might find some spark and chemistry and put together quite a year. Too bad this series is played early in the year and not later
    I wanna go fast!

Quote Originally Posted by UMD21 View Post
    Too bad this series is played early in the year and not later
    Yeah, and really too bad the two exhibition games are being played BEFORE the series against the defending national champs.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

UMD will be jacked up for this series. Will the gophers get up for the game? They have had that problem before. I think split with a pair of home wins.

Dammit, Gorilla!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    Will the gophers get up for the game? They have had that problem before.
    Sarcastic response: Sounds like a personal problem.
    Serious response: No.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gopher wes View Post
    Sarcastic response: Sounds like a personal problem.
    Serious response: No.
    Why are you such a Debbie?

Dammit, Gorilla!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Why are you such a Debbie?
    Been hanging out with Bonin too much.

I'm actually pretty hopeful about the Gophers this year.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Have to figure a close bulldog sweep. There's a big question around just who for MN will put the puck in the net. Maybe Pitlick, but that's not going to win these games.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Have to figure a close bulldog sweep. There's a big question around just who for MN will put the puck in the net. Maybe Pitlick, but that's not going to win these games.
    Gates and Sheehy had as many goals last year as Rem and Sheehy was never really fully healthy was he? Don't sleep on Ranta either even as an incoming Fr.

No they don't return a lot of goals but they severely under-performed on the PP last season which is something I don't think will repeat and look for guys like Rossini and Phillips take a step forward on the blueline offensively. I think they'll be much more gritty this year and get a few more greasy goals. Word from camp is guys like Phillips and Sheehy have added weight and Brinkman, and Brinkman, Wait and Ranta have done the same since arriving for their very first practice.

Lucia Apologist

I donít understand the title. I didnít realize the gophers were playing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    UMD will be jacked up for this series. Will the gophers get up for the game? They have had that problem before. I think split with a pair of home wins.
    Wish these games were played after both teams had a little more time to play together. Never know what you'll get from a team this early in the year, and tickets aren't exactly cheap. A lot of people are thinking the new scenery of a coaching change will get MN playing better this year relative to expectations based on their talent level on paper. But I'm not sure how much of a different system a new staff can impose on a team after so little time with them. Might show some signs of disarray this weekend.

Dammit, Gorilla!!

Gates and Sheehy had as many goals last year as Rem and Sheehy was never really fully healthy was he? Don't sleep on Ranta either even as an incoming Fr.

No they don't return a lot of goals but they severely under-performed on the PP last season which is something I don't think will repeat and look for guys like Rossini and Phillips take a step forward on the blueline offensively. I think they'll be much more gritty this year and get a few more greasy goals. Word from camp is guys like Phillips and Sheehy have added weight and Brinkman, and Brinkman, Wait and Ranta have done the same since arriving for their very first practice.
    Lots of people, including the new coach, are high on Sheehy. Especially being healthy this year which it sounds like he was not for the better part of last season.

The D and the PP are the big questions for me.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

fwiw Vegoe has said good things about Nanne and Stucker. Nanne make some mistakes last year to be sure but he didn't play a game for 2 full years.

I got the juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Wish these games were played after both teams had a little more time to play together. Never know what you'll get from a team this early in the year, and tickets aren't exactly cheap. A lot of people are thinking the new scenery of a coaching change will get MN playing better this year relative to expectations based on their talent level on paper. But I'm not sure how much of a different system a new staff can impose on a team after so little time with them. Might show some signs of disarray this weekend.
    He was the ideal hire. Experience coaching world juniors team with a bunch of UMD players and talent from all schools..Lucia got lazy. Did he lose it himself, or did B1G turn him into a drone? Getting his *** slapped around by a school from Indianaó****someoneís gotta have some state pride. Motzko will be a boone. Donít forget, he took SCSU from like 0-11 in NCAAs to a strong .500

fwiw Vegoe has said good things about Nanne and Stucker. Nanne make some mistakes last year to be sure but he didn't play a game for 2 full years.
    Nanne gave a glimpse of what he was capable last year. I bet he has a big year.

Hope so...as the Don said, the team goes as does the seniors.
    Go Gophers!

I think we'll see a different Gopher team take the ice this season against in-state rivals like UMD than in previous years. Motzko has been busy this past two weeks integrating his systems into the Gopher playbook.

“We’re doing two things, trying to get used to each other but we want to get a strong foundation in. We’re pushing our systems right now a little bit faster than I want to because we’ve got to play those two games.”
    UMD lost some key offensive power from last season, while the Gophers although down in scoring last season return most of their top scorers. So I would give the edge to the Gophers on offense in this series.

However, the Gophers are clearly more inexperienced on D. UMD returnees on D like sophomores Scott Perunovich (11-25-36), Mikey Anderson (5-18-23) and others may comprise one of the best D corp in the NCHC...advantage UMD. I'm guessing we may see Schierhorn and Robson alternating in net in this series. Both need to have very good seasons for the Gophers to be successful going forward. UMD netminder Hunter Shepard (25-14-1, 1.90 GAA, .925 SV %) really performed well last season, especially in FF.

The Gophers are 1-9-1 vs. UMD over the past 11 games inc. what is currently a eight game losing streak vs UMD that stretches back to the 2014-15 season. I expect that streak to be broken this weekend.
    Last edited by SteveO; 10-06-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I think we'll see a different Gopher team take the ice this season against in-state rivals like UMD than in previous years. Motzko has been busy this past two weeks integrating his systems into the Gopher playbook.

UMD lost some key offensive power from last season, while the Gophers although down in scoring last season return most of their top scorers. So I would give the edge to the Gophers on offense in this series.

However, the Gophers are clearly more inexperienced on D. UMD returnees on D like sophomores Scott Perunovich (11-25-36), Mikey Anderson (5-18-23) and others may comprise one of the best D corp in the NCHC...advantage UMD. I'm guessing we may see Schierhorn and Robson alternating in net in this series. Both need to have very good seasons for the Gophers to be successful going forward. UMD netminder Hunter Shepard (25-14-1, 1.90 GAA, .925 SV %) really performed well last season, especially in FF.

The Gophers are 1-9-1 vs. UMD over the past 11 games inc. what is currently a six game losing streak vs UMD that stretches back to the 2014-15 season. I expect that streak to be broken this weekend.
    Good comments. Given the abysmal record the Gophers have had against the Dogs the past 11 games I would be very happy with a split this weekend. Hope the players want more.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I donít understand the title. I didnít realize the gophers were playing themselves.
    hmm should have put University of Minnesota - Minneapolis Falcon Heights vs University of Minnesota Duluth Bragging Rights: Gophers vs Bulldogs.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Lucia Apologist

I dunno. I thought it should have been Minnesota vs, Superior-North

Thread Information