Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018-19 WCHA Season: 3 Bids And The Second Round?

BG completes the sweep of WMU 4-1! Next up, OSU!

Comment

Just got back from the Berry Events Center on NMU's campus. Congrats BSU on the split and breakaway goal with 3 seconds left in the 3rd to get the 2-1 win! The 400 mile trip was worth it. Northern has picked up their fast paced play and their fan numbers have picked up.
      Last edited by Andrew J Carter; 10-27-2018, 09:18 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
        Just got back from the Berry Events Center on NMU's campus. Congrats BSU on the split and breakaway goal with 3 seconds left in the 3rd to get the 2-1 win! The 400 mile trip was worth it. Northern has picked up their fast paced play and their fan numbers have picked up.
        That was actually with 0.3 seconds to go. 😠

Comment

2018-19 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

29 NCHC Games (5-15-2)
          14-15 Big10 Games (3-2-1)
          8 Hockey East Games (4-0-0)
          7 Atlantic Hockey Games (3-2-0)
          4-5 ECAC Games (0-0-0)
          4-5 Independent Games (0-4-0)
          0-1 Interleague Games (Not counted in league total)
          9 Exhibitions (Not counted in league or team total)
          TOTAL: 15-23-3

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-6-0)
          -at Miami (2) L 1-5, L 0-4
          -at Colorado College L 0-1
          -at Denver L 0-6
          -Arizona State (2) L 1-2, L 1-5
          -vs Vermont, TD Bank Catamount Cup, Burlington, VT
          -vs Northeastern, TD Bank Catamount Cup, Burlington, VT

ALASKA (0-5-1)
          -at Arizona State (2) L 0-3, L 0-5
          -St. Cloud State (2) L 2-3, L 2-6
          -at Denver (2) L 1-4, T 3-3

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (1-1-0)
          -Colorado College (2) L 2-10, W 4-3
          -at North Dakota (2)
          -at Nebraska-Omaha (2)

BEMIDJI STATE (1-0-1)
          -Lakehead (EXH) W 5-1
          -North Dakota W 2-1
          -at North Dakota T 1-1
          -Merrimack (2)
          -at St. Cloud State (2)
          -at Air Force (2)

BOWLING GREEN (5-1-1)
          -at Mercyhurst W 8-2
          -at Western Michigan W 6-2
          -at Robert Morris L 2-3
          -Robert Morris W 6-0
          -Western Michigan W 4-1
          -at Ohio State W 8-2
          -Ohio State T 2-2
          -at US Under 18 Team (EXH)
          -Windsor (EXH)

FERRIS STATE (1-3-0)
          -US Under 18 Team (EXH) W 3-1
          -Lethbridge (EXH) W 5-2
          -Western Michigan L 3-4
          -at Western Michigan L 0-5
          -Mercyhurst (2) W 5-2, L 1-3
          -at Michigan State
          -Michigan State

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (2-0-0)
          -at Merrimack (2) W 5-4, W 1-0
          -Ni****ing (EXH-2) W 3-1, W 4-0
          -Michigan (2)
          -at US Under 18 Team (EXH)
          -vs. Michigan State, Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI
          -vs. Michigan Tech/Michigan, Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI

MICHIGAN TECH (1-3-0)
          -Minnesota-Duluth (2) L 1-2, L 2-5
          -at Wisconsin (2) W 6-2, L 2-6
          -at Clarkson (2)
          -vs. Michigan, Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI
          -vs. Lake Superior State/Michigan State, Great Lakes Invitational, Detroit, MI

MINNESOTA STATE (3-1-0)
          -Mount Royal (EXH) W 7-3
          -Boston University (2) W 4-3, W 5-3
          -at North Dakota (2) W 7-4, L 3-4
          -at Minnesota
          -Minnesota
          -vs. Minnesota-Duluth, Desert Hockey Classic, Glendale, AZ
          -vs. Arizona State/Clarkson, Desert Hockey Classic, Glendale, AZ

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (1-3-0)
          -at Michigan State (2) L 2-4, W 4-3
          -at St. Cloud State (2) L 1-4, L 0-5
          -Cornell (2)
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
            2018-19 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

29 NCHC Games (5-15-2)
            14-15 Big10 Games (3-2-1)
            8 Hockey East Games (4-0-0)
            7 Atlantic Hockey Games (3-2-0)
            4-5 ECAC Games (0-0-0)
            4-5 Independent Games (0-4-0)
            0-1 Interleague Games (Not counted in league total)
            9 Exhibitions (Not counted in league or team total)
            TOTAL: 15-23-3
            I think this just goes to show that we need to play the NCHC less...thats a tough sell because of proximity but we're never going to succeed nationally with playing the best conference so much (although I do think the best conference earns alot of its cred from dominating us because of the way PWR works). 10-8-1 in games not against NCHC is a good record...man if we didn't suck against ASU it'd be pretty close to .500
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I think this just goes to show that we need to play the NCHC less...thats a tough sell because of proximity but we're never going to succeed nationally with playing the best conference so much (although I do think the best conference earns alot of its cred from dominating us because of the way PWR works). 10-8-1 in games not against NCHC is a good record...man if we didn't suck against ASU it'd be pretty close to .500
              In theory, that's great, and could work well (Go the Penn State creampuff route to get to the NCAAs!), but we have so many natural rivalries (as well as the cheaper travel that you noted) with the NCHC that I don't think most fans would be happy. I'd rather see us play SCSU or UMD instead of an AH or ECAC team.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                In theory, that's great, and could work well (Go the Penn State creampuff route to get to the NCAAs!), but we have so many natural rivalries (as well as the cheaper travel that you noted) with the NCHC that I don't think most fans would be happy. I'd rather see us play SCSU or UMD instead of an AH or ECAC team.
                I didn't say schedule cream puffs, we've been pretty good against HEA and ECAC, we just don't play either very much. I completely understand why we schedule the way we do as a conference. It's hard for the WCHA schools not to want to schedule their former conference opponents that are a short bus ride away, but until we get better at playing them, the league won't get more at large bids until we win more NC and the easiest way to do that is to play NCHC less...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                  Maybe just the ****ty teams shouldn't play NCHC teams? You guys keep doing what you're doing.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    Maybe just the ****ty teams shouldn't play NCHC teams? You guys keep doing what you're doing.
                    Well, we play who we can schedule. Our coaches have very strong ties to DU, and MUOH is so close, so getting NCHC schools to schedule us is largely going to happen. Sorry? Last year's UAH team wouldn't be getting run over like this.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      Well, we play who we can schedule. Our coaches have very strong ties to DU, and MUOH is so close, so getting NCHC schools to schedule us is largely going to happen. Sorry? Last year's UAH team wouldn't be getting run over like this.

GFM
                      Also, we get money from some of these teams.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I think that a large part of things is just being patient. THe league can't throw away their natural rivalries for short-term gain. As the teams in the WCHA keep getting better, they will gain a better record against the NCHC. It may suck to keep having a losing record, but going against lesser competition will only slow the process even more in my opinion.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Good weekend for WCHA, 4-2 vs the B1G

Comment

We're 4 weekends into the season and so far I have to say that the big surprise so far has been LSSU

I certainly didn't see them starting out this strong... Really curious to see if this will last throughout the year or if it's just a slash in the pan to start the season....

Everything else has played out pretty close to what I expected. I would have liked NMU to have 1 or 2 additional W's at this point, but BSU was really the only surprising result and that was just because of the clown show that brought that ending about.

Any other quick takeaways that I'm missing so far? Like I said, this has been pretty mundane so far it seems....
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              We're 4 weekends into the season and so far I have to say that the big surprise so far has been LSSU

I certainly didn't see them starting out this strong... Really curious to see if this will last throughout the year or if it's just a slash in the pan to start the season....

Everything else has played out pretty close to what I expected. I would have liked NMU to have 1 or 2 additional W's at this point, but BSU was really the only surprising result and that was just because of the clown show that brought that ending about.

Any other quick takeaways that I'm missing so far? Like I said, this has been pretty mundane so far it seems....
                              I don't know, I didn't expect UAH to look like it was 2013-14 all over again.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Bemidji seems to have done a nice job replacing Bitzer.

Comment

Working...
                                X