This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCOTUS 13: Confirmation consternation contemplation

The thing is, the events from k-12 are probably the most formative. The **** I took from kids in high school made me a better person. It galvanized the lessons my parents taught me about being a good person.

There are exceptions of course. When one of my friends came out to me in college, it changed my life
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well, that thread didn't last long....don't you guys work?
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by sagard View Post
        I think the Republicans are making the lemonade. The narrow scope of the investigation will be very hard to prove. Disproving his obvious lies about drinking, blacking out, notes in yearbook, alumnius, etc... would have been much easier and made his character obvious to all.

As it stands now I'm guessing all that stuff will now be held as untouchable.

I still don't understand why he didn't just apologize when Dr. Ford surfaced, honestly claimed he didn't remember it that way, and emphatically stated it is not who he is today.
        Lying to Congress is a crime...everything he said is subject to scrutiny. If the FBI finds in the course of their investigation proof that goes against something he claimed it is definitely relevant and allowed no matter how much Grassley tries to say otherwise.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Uhhhhh. You CLEARLY didn’t watch anything about the testimony she gave then.
          He might of...but she spoke using words that had more than two syllables so it takes a while to sink in
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I posted that yesterday in the last thread...thanks for doing it again cause it is definitely a salient point.

rufus,

You know Avenatti is chomping at the bit to give the FBI what he has
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

there are different degrees of pain and suffering. not sure what is gained by playing a game of one-up here.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Now I know why Flaggy loves him:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kavana...ncel-community

Comment

Has there been much discussion on Ford's possible exposure for defamation and, among other things, how that might affect her credibility assessment (nothing to gain and a lot to lose)? Not thinking so much of the Committee testimony as her representations prior to that, and I'm not real clear exactly what was said and to whom.

NYT v Sullivan applies to K?

I believe Ford at this point, btw, and I realize there are lot of reasons K would not open that can of worms.
                  Last edited by burd; 09-29-2018, 06:55 AM.

Comment

No chance. To win a defamation/libel case, he has to prove that her statements are false - the buden of proof shifts so that SHE is the one assumed innocent in the libel suit. Good luck with that.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 13: Confirmation consternation contemplation

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                      No chance. To win a defamation/libel case, he has to prove that her statements are false - the buden of proof shifts so that SHE is the one assumed innocent in the libel suit. Good luck with that.
                      I'm aware of all that. But it had to enter into the balancing of risks when she decided to make the representations. If so, it would seem to add to her credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        Theoretically, a perjury charge would handle that. I believe you'd also have to prove malicious intent. Either way, our jury system works both ways, and one SJW would be able to acquit her. That's how William Penn survived (albeit fourfold).

Plus, Axios is saying they'll go for impeachment next. https://www.axios.com/kavanaugh-vote...36bd58129.html Same thing applies as I've been saying about the President.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Has there been much discussion on Ford's possible exposure for defamation and, among other things, how that might affect her credibility assessment (nothing to gain and a lot to lose)? Not thinking so much of the Committee testimony as her representations prior to that, and I'm not real clear exactly what was said and to whom.

NYT v Sullivan applies to K?

I believe Ford at this point, btw, and I realize there are lot of reasons K would not open that can of worms.
                          Agree with that it would be impossible to prove Ford's statement is a) False and b) was made with malice. The lack of any verifiable detail in Ford's statement works against her credibility, but also insulates her completely from it being possible to disprove. Some in the press have settled on July 1, for example. Suppose some friend of Kavanaugh produces a series of old pictures of Kavanaugh playing chess all night, with clocks and a newspaper visible, labeled on the back with "Timmy's party" July 1, 1981, thereby proving Kavanaugh's whereabouts and condition on that night? It would mean absolutely nothing.

Her statement after being semi-deposed is that she is 100% certain, Kavanaugh attacked her. She is certain Judge was there. She believes PJ was at the location. She believes Leland Keyser was at the location. The house is nondescript. The room is nondescript. The location of the house is nondescript. The month and day are nondescript. There are no other details she will commit to. There is no way possible to impeach her statement barring Judge and Kavanaugh being able to prove their whereabouts nearly every hour of the summer of 1982. It's impossible as far as I can see.

Since that is the case, I'm not sure her risk of exposure to a defamation suit by Kavanaugh is something that realistically can be weighed in on her side of the ledger.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            Agree with that it would be impossible to prove Ford's statement is a) False and b) was made with malice. The lack of any verifiable detail in Ford's statement works against her credibility, but also insulates her completely from it being possible to disprove. Some in the press have settled on July 1, for example. Suppose some friend of Kavanaugh produces a series of old pictures of Kavanaugh playing chess all night, with clocks and a newspaper visible, labeled on the back with "Timmy's party" July 1, 1981, thereby proving Kavanaugh's whereabouts and condition on that night? It would mean absolutely nothing.

Her statement after being semi-deposed is that she is 100% certain, Kavanaugh attacked her. She is certain Judge was there. She believes PJ was at the location. She believes Leland Keyser was at the location. The house is nondescript. The room is nondescript. The location of the house is nondescript. The month and day are nondescript. There are no other details she will commit to. There is no way possible to impeach her statement barring Judge and Kavanaugh being able to prove their whereabouts nearly every hour of the summer of 1982. It's impossible as far as I can see.

Since that is the case, I'm not sure her risk of exposure to a defamation suit by Kavanaugh is something that realistically can be weighed in on her side of the ledger.
                            I don't disagree with any of that. The risk of being sued is not limited to going to trial and losing. The K I saw on Thursday was a guy almost unhinged who believes his professional and private lives have been ruined. Was that an act? Didn't appear to be. If he does not get this appointment, what will he do? People file lawsuits with mixed objectives all the time. Defending them can be as costly as the possible judgment.

It's true she would probably not have to worry very much about legal expenses--there would be attys lining up to do it pro bono and non lawyers willing to contribute funds. But that is now. If Thursday had gone very badly for her and others had not come forward in recent weeks, these avenues of support would be a lot less of a sure thing. That is why I put that question out there in the context of her doing the benefit/detriment analysis.

But with what we know now, I don't disagree with what your post.

Plus, burd is just plain full of shyt sometimes.

Comment

Someone over at emptywheel is speculating that the circled numbers on Kavanaugh's calendar pages are the count so far of the number of kegs that Brett "100 kegs or Bust" Kavanaugh and his friends had consumed so far. See for yourself.

During Beach Week, which is probably immediately after school let out after junior year, you can see that there's a new, ascending number circled for every day of the week.

https://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.ne...0.23.06-AM.png

Ends at 8. Then, the first circled number for July is a 9. On a weekend. Over July 4th weekend, you get circled numbers 9,10, and 11. At the end of the month, also the weekend, that they've gone to the beach, you get numbers 12 and 13.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/2KJM...57.41_AM.0.png

Beginning of August, still the weekend at the beach and the following Monday, you have 14 and 15. Saturday the 14th, you get number 16.

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpre...rip=all&w=1177
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                I posted that yesterday in the last thread...thanks for doing it again cause it is definitely a salient point.

rufus,

You know Avenatti is chomping at the bit to give the FBI what he has
                                But like someone said, I kinda hope that he just limits it to that, and keeps himself and his client off the TV, for the most part. Don't make it a spectacle. Tweeting out stuff that obviously repudiates what someone has said, as he did with Red Don, though, will certainly be just fine.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X