This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 13: Confirmation consternation contemplation

You're being oddly optimistic over what is the usual Republican tactic of sham promises that allows reluctant Republicans to say "Good enough!"

It's the same as the Collins promises on the tax cut.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Lindsey Graham on ABC This Week.

He's confirming the limited scope.
      Daniel Dale had a Twitter thread last night where legal reps and someone connected to the DOJ all stated that Trump's Tweet stating "there is no limit," is to be regarded as Presidential guidance in the case, which supersedes any directive given to the FBI from anyone who *isn't* the President, and even supersedes any limiting directive given by Trump until he Tweeted that out.

His Tweet could potentially backfire on the GOP.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

A conservative is in the supreme court - whether Kavanaugh is better or worse than another conservative alternative is unknown.

The primary goal of the coming week is the impact on public opinion for midterms in general and the senate in particular.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Daniel Dale had a Twitter thread last night where legal reps and someone connected to the DOJ all stated that Trump's Tweet stating "there is no limit," is to be regarded as Presidential guidance in the case, which supersedes any directive given to the FBI from anyone who *isn't* the President, and even supersedes any limiting directive given by Trump until he Tweeted that out.

His Tweet could potentially backfire on the GOP.
          After all, this WH said the presidential tweets were to be taken as official Trump statements.

The other thing here, is this election cycle, more women are running for office on the Democratic side than perhaps at any other point in US history. The upcoming wave, if it happens, isn't just going to be a blue wave, it's going to be a pink wave. And the sitting Republicans are going to be in for a very, very hard time.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            A conservative is in the supreme court - whether Kavanaugh is better or worse than another conservative alternative is unknown.

The primary goal of the coming week is the impact on public opinion for midterms in general and the senate in particular.
            Good point--you are exactly right that others in the queue behind him will be as or more "conservative." The thing that made me most uncomfortable about K prior to the hearings (and the reason I think Trump picked him) not his history on Roe issues but his position on the imperial powers of the Presidency. It's what Trump desperately wants and we can least afford at this time. Since Thursday, it's also clear he has nowhere near the temperament necessary to preform the job with any level of objectivity.

I hope this process opens some eyes to what is happening and motivates people to get to the polls in November.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Seems we'll be allowed to investigate further than the FBI will.
              So no time to waste! I'll press on a bit as I like a good mystery. I should probably move this to conspiracy theories, but here's a fairly good theory about where the house in question was:

The personal connection between Ford and Judge and Kavanaugh is "Squi". "Squi" is Chris Garrett, a classmate and good friend of Kavanaugh's that Kavanaugh hung out with several times according to his calendar. It came out in Ford's testimony, in a rather confusing part, that Ford dated, or "went with" Garrett for some months circa the summer of 1982. Ford very definitely did not want to bring out Garrett's name, and didn't, which is what made it confusing, but Garret is the person she refers to. He is also the guy that idiot Ed Whelan publicly accused, which was so stupid it defies description.

However, it remains a fact that Garrett's house is only about 8 blocks from Columbia CC, and it does in fact fit the few other details that Ford supplies in terms of layout. (Timmy's house is not only far away, it's a Townhouse, which doesn't really fit, for example.) Ford dating Garret establishes a reason for Ford and Leland Keyser being there. Leland was 13 or possibly 14 at the time. (Keyser is 49 now, Ford 51, Kavanaugh and Judge, 53) and it's difficult to see a good reason for Leland being there, or Ford herself being at a "small gathering" with PJ, Judge, and Kavanaugh, older boys from a different school, unless there's some personal connection between them. It's a bit of an odd "small gathering" otherwise.)

The most logical thing so far is that the house in question was Squi's house. It explains why this group was all there together, and it is definitely near Columbia CC. So Ford walks from Columbia to Garrett's, who she's being "going with". When Ford leaves, she walks back to Columbia and gets a ride from someone the ten miles back to her own home. Ford says she is is at Columbia nearly every day, so that would explain why no one would remember giving her a ride. No one picked up a distraught girl on the street, in other words, and none of those at the party gave her a ride home. Perhaps she even goes home with her parents who are big wheels at Columbia and there all the time, or she just calls them like she usually does and any 15 year old typically does.

That the house in question is, in fact, Chris "Squi" Garrett's fits very well and answers several questions about Ford's testimony.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                Good point--you are exactly right that others in the queue behind him will be as or more "conservative." The thing that made me most uncomfortable about K prior to the hearings (and the reason I think Trump picked him) not his history on Roe issues but his position on the imperial powers of the Presidency. It's what Trump desperately wants and we can least afford at this time. Since Thursday, it's also clear he has nowhere near the temperament necessary to preform the job with any level of objectivity.

I hope this process opens some eyes to what is happening and motivates people to get to the polls in November.
                My fears of him as well. With the case coming up about being able to try the same charges in both state and federal court, Red Don might be able to get his pardons on as well, and succeed in covering his doughy as.

Comment

Yes they need Brett seated for gamble vs the US, so dump can truly pardon everyone

Comment

Ok, so if it is Squee's house, Kavanaugh denies ever knowing Ford, didn't run in the same social circles. He spent more time with Squee that July than any of his other friends.

It strains credibility that Kavanaugh had never met or hung out with the girl that Squee was seeing for a couple months.

So she's at Squee's.A drunken Kav, Judge and PJ leave Timmy's and stop by Squee's. Possible. Why she can't remember it was Squee's, or refuses to say it was, I don't know. Kavanaugh seems to know it was, hence the Whelan smear.

Hope FBI is gonna interview Squee.
                    Last edited by rufus; 09-30-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

To be perfectly honest I think some of my optimism is I am worn out on this crap and need a couple days to decompress. I will reassess tomorrow.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        As Thurgood Marshall said when asked if Bush should appoint a black justice to replace him, "There's no difference between a white snake and a black snake. They'll both bite."
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I want to argue with you on this, but you're just not going to get it.
                          Take it up with Alisyn instead.
                          https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...134730089.html
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I honestly hope Kimberly Strassel never gets harassed, or attacked. Honestly.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

An introspective... coming from someone Kepler would call a "fellow alumnæ"... http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2018-09-26.html

Comment

Handy mentioned last week the FBI is much better at interviewing than some Senate hearing. FBI interviews are ongoing. Wouldn't the FBI start with interviewing the accusers to know where to start looking? Dr Ford, who wanted anonymity, will get the exact opposite all in a week: a televised Senate hearing and a chat with the FBI to go over some details so they know where to start looking.

Next, the scope limitation seemed to be negotiated (most likely with the Sen from CT) by Sen Flake before his vote in Committee. He seemed to spell it out then. Trump's initial directive seemed to follow what Flake (clumsily) presented to the Committee. Now if Trump has since opened up the scope with his Tweets, might that be Trump looking to overboard someone, or is that Trump looking to say "they looked everywhere, I took off the restrictions".
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X