Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Finally the Lakers are back in action, and not on a Monday afternoon. Almost two weeks ago now, the Lakers beat Union 5-2, outshooting them 50-23 as well.

Tonight, the 7-6-2 Lakers host Bemidji. Common opponents include Wisc and Minn, who both teams went 0-4 against.

Last year, Hurst and Bemidji split at Bemidji. The Lakers were without Nuutinen and Tanskanen, and lost 2-1 in OT, then won 2-1 the next day. Bemidji outshot Mercyhurst both days, about 30-18, very uncharacteristic of Mercyhurst to be held to so few shots. Blair and McDonnell both played well in those games, though it was McDonnell who got the win, and who has been Mercyhurst’s starter this year.

I think having the Finns in the lineup, a confident McDonnell and home ice advantage should help the Lakers, relative to last year, but that shot count from last year is intriguing. Anyway, new year new series.

Bemidji is coming off a sweep of St Cloud; hopefully Mercyhurst stops that momentum with a non conference win at the MIC tonight.

Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

https://mobile.***********/HurstWHoc...32482656309249

Link to highlights of last night’s 3-0 win over Bemidji State.

The story of the first period was speed. Both teams played fast, and Mercyhurst dominated the shots. Summer Rae Dobson had a breakaway after a Hurst D flipped the puck over everyone in the neutral zone to a waiting Dobson. She lost the handle, and didn’t score, 0-0 after one.

In the second the pace slowed a bit, and the Lakers got into penalty trouble. Bemidji dominated the second in shots. Hurst held on though, and played smart. Perreault, a freshman, had a great penalty kill after serving a bench minor, that preceded a 2nd Hurst penalty resulting in 5 on 3 time. Perrault killed after getting out of the box, then smartly stayed on the ice when her linemate went for the change, chasing and keeping in Bemidjis end while the second penalty expired.

Hurst ended the second on the power play, with a very strong shift. Although the period ended 0-0, and although Bemidji was getting better as the game wore on, Hurst was getting better chances, and I thought they’d win the third.

I missed first half of third which of course is when the goals happened, haha, but the highlights tell the story. Dobson - not deterred after the first period breakaway - buried a 2 on 1 pass from Knott, top shelf. Pinto had broken out of the zone and passed to Knott.

Later Hine would would intercept a sloppy Bemidji pass on Bemidjis blue line and also score top shelf, unassisted.

Bemidji pressed in the final minutes, but Hurst played calm and poised in the d zone. Finally, Isbell created a turnover and broke out of the zone feeding Vasko who skated through the neutral zone and into the Bemidji zone. She passed across to Dobson who put it in the empty net.

A great win, the whole roster played well, and McDonnell got her fourth shutout of the year.

Keep it going today. Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

I am shocked at Nuutinen's sparse stats for the year. She passes the eye test for sure. Any thoughts. Is it the system or systems?

Comment

Right on cue Nuutinen scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
            Right on cue Nuutinen scores.
            Haha. Here is the goal,
            https://mobile.***********/HurstWHockey/status/1071599528720195584

She also had a goal on Friday but it was disallowed.

Lakers fell 3-1 to Bemidji. Next up is at Ohio State.

Your point about Nuutinen is fair. Wonderful player, but not gaudy offensive numbers, more of pretty good numbers and a big moment player, and still getting better. Just a reflection of systems and current roster makeup I’d say. Still she is producing at a point a game pace, on par with Daryl Watts and Emily Clark.

I don’t take any issue with your comment but since I’m a Nuutinen fan here is some more commentary:

She’s third in CHA points per game behind Gebhard and Heising. Of CHA players, she’s second in points per game against all opponents. My guess is that the diff between her and the other two might partially be power play points, where Hurst traditionally is not as strong.

Her production this year is up from about 0.56 points per game her freshman and sophomore year to the 1.0 this year. Incredibly she has 5 OT goals in her college career this far, including 2 in conference tourneys (one vs Ohio State).

She’s continuing to get better and I love watching her play. Most importantly I want to see Hurst win CHA’s, but I think Nuutinen might help the team crack that “point a game” player barrier that they haven’t had the past few years.
            Last edited by Lindsay; 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Love the highlights and the player. Keep them coming.

Comment

The Lakers are at Ohio State to play the Buckeyes today. Only game on the D1 slate this weekend. The teams split last year, this should be another entertaining series.

Mercyhurst’s preview: https://hurstathletics.com/news/2018...hio-state.aspx

Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

Hey Lindsay,

I hope you enjoy Saturday's Three Goals Of The Game, over on the Buckeye thread.

Have to admit, I'm hoping the Buckeyes put a second lump of Ohio Coal in your Christmas Stocking on Sunday. But of course I'm also hoping for another fun, competitive game.

Comment

Sorry about all that coal Sunday afternoon. A bit of overkill, I must concede. Even so, 1 Laker still made my Stars List. Check it out on the Buckeye thread.

Comment

This is not entirely college but I wrote a post about memorable moments in hockey, captured on social media this year. Mercyhurst, OSU, BC, Wisconsin, Clarkson and Minnesota all appear in the post, plus other non college moments from the year. Some of you may enjoy.

http://lakerfanhockey.blogspot.com/2...y-in-2018.html

Comment

That's a great collection of highlights, Lindsay (except the Mercyhurst OT win over Penn State, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                          That's a great collection of highlights, Lindsay (except the Mercyhurst OT win over Penn State, of course)
                          Thanks Zed!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                            This is not entirely college but I wrote a post about memorable moments in hockey, captured on social media this year. Mercyhurst, OSU, BC, Wisconsin, Clarkson and Minnesota all appear in the post, plus other non college moments from the year. Some of you may enjoy.

http://lakerfanhockey.blogspot.com/2...y-in-2018.html
                            Great read and highlights, Lindsay! Thanks for putting that together! It was an unforgettable season for us Buckeye fans in 2017-18. We're hoping to get back to the Frozen Four this season and maybe finish the job this time!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              Great read and highlights, Lindsay! Thanks for putting that together! It was an unforgettable season for us Buckeye fans in 2017-18. We're hoping to get back to the Frozen Four this season and maybe finish the job this time!
                              Thanks 86! Good luck to the Buckeyes in the second half.

Comment

Nuutinen has another big game!

Comment

Working...
                                X