Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Ohio State took game one tonight by a final score of 3-2. St. Cloud jumped out to a 2-0 lead with two goals late in the first period from Julia Tylke and Jenniina Nylund. The goals were scored only 14 seconds apart. The Buckeyes were not phased and came out firing in the second period, tying the game on goals from Emma Maltais and Maddy Field. The second period ended with the game tied at 2-2. Ohio State came out and took the lead for good in the third period when Maddy Field scored her second goal of the night. Ohio State dominated the shots on goal 45-20, but credit the Huskies outstanding goalie, Janine Alder, for keeping SCSU in the game with 42 saves on the night. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 18 of the 20 shots she faced. Each team had two power plays, but the penalty killers won those battles tonight as neither team could score a power play goal. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm EST. For those coming tomorrow, there is a home football game, so be prepared to pay $20 to park, and the parking will be a ways away from the OSU Ice Rink. Good crowd tonight ... box score says 723. One other note from tonight ... it is always nice to see former Buckeye Dana Rasmussen back here. She played one season for the Buckeyes in the 2015-16 season, then transferred to St. Cloud, but she will always be a Buckeye to us!

Final Score From Friday, November 2nd
    Ohio State 3
    St. Cloud State 2

Steady As She Goes
    The Buckeyes were cruising along at a steady clip, out-shooting the Huskies by a comfortable margin. Then the Storm Cloud popped up with a shocking suddenness. In a span of just 14 seconds, lightning struck twice in the same place. Only two days into the eleventh month. Had the Gales of November come early?

And what of the Ohio State ship? She might have tipped over. She might have capsized. But she didn't. There was no panic. Yes, the Buckeyes were significantly blown off course by the sudden squall. But they simply righted the ship and reset course. Calmer waters were soon found. The Buckeyes were once again out-shooting the Huskies by a fair margin.

It proved to be a long voyage. But the Buckeyes successfully reached port.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Janine Alder
    Janine stopped 42 of the 45 Buckeye shots. Nothing wrong with that save percentage. Early on it appeared that rebound control might be an issue; Alder caught a significant break when a fluttering puck landed harmlessly on the right half-moon. But Janine seemed to get stronger as the game went on. It took every bit of the Buckeyes' steady persistence to finally break through.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Jincy Dunne
    It doesn't always show up on the scoresheet. But in all of Women's Hockey, there is no greater steadying influence than Jincy Dunne. I want her on my team every time. It's great to have those strong -- yet soft -- hands on the ship's wheel.

#3 Star: (tie) Julia Tylke, St. Cloud State; and Jenniina Nylund, St. Cloud State
    Tonight's Minnesota Twin Lighting Bolts. Both scored on great individual efforts. After teammates won a couple of battles behind the St. Cloud net, Julia carried the puck the length of the ice to open the scoring. Bobby Orr would have been proud. Jenniina didn't have quite as far to travel, picking up a neutral zone turnover. But her stiff, quick release shot was stunningly effective.

#2 Star: Madison Field, Ohio State
    The Most Determined Buckeye came through again; this time with both the tying and the game-winning goals. The GWG was a bang-bang-bang pinball play. Initial shot by Liz Schepers. Play kept alive by Sara Saekkinen. Puck willed into the net by Field.

Madison is a first class finisher.

#1 Star: Emma Maltais, Ohio State
    Great backcheck! Who was that masked woman? Emma? Again?

Maltais certainly played the whole 200 feet tonight. St. Cloud did have a few promising rushes. But as often as not, Emma caught up with the play and shut them down.

Now, about those offensive contributions. The turning point of the game was the first Buckeye goal, a long dash by Maltais which effectively matched the Tylke tally. The equally crucial tying goal came when Maltais & Field won the puck behind the St. Cloud net, with Madison scoring on a modified wrap around.

Up Next: Rematch With The Huskies @ 3:07 PM. This will complete the hat trick of Football Saturdays. With Football kicking off around 12:00 Noon, getting to the Ice Rink should be relatively easy. The outbound commute shouldn't be too bad either, as we'll be playing our 3rd Period during the worst of the Football exodus.

Confidential To Paetyn Levis: Thought you had that first one on the breakaway! But fear not; just keep plugging away. It'll come.

Thanks, as always, Pgb for your Three Stars of the Game! I will patiently await your Three Stars from today's game! I am going to take an educated guess and say Charly Dahlquist just might get one of those stars!

Ohio State finished the sweep today by an identical score of 3-2, although this one was different last night's as it was the Buckeyes jumping out to leads and the Huskies playing catch-up in this one. Ohio State's Tatum Skaggs opened the scoring in the first period to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead and that would be the score at the first intermission. In the second period, St. Cloud's Julia Tylke made a nice play around the net and got a nifty backhand shot past Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli to knot things up at 1-1. The Bucks came back with a couple goals of their own to take a 3-1 lead. Maddy Field scored her third goal of the weekend to put the Buckeyes up 2-1, then Charly Dahlquist ignited the crowd with a shorthanded goal late in the second period to put Ohio State up 3-1. Dahlquist's goal turned out to be the game-winner as St. Cloud would get a goal late in the third period from Hallie Theodosopoulos to pull within 3-2. That is how it ended. As was the case with last night's game, the Buckeyes dominated the shots on goal by the final count of 39-19. St. Cloud goaltender Janine Alder stopped 36 of the 39 shots she faced. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 17 of the 19 shots she faced. Both teams will be back in action next weekend. The Buckeyes will travel to Bemidji for a pair of games against the Beavers. St. Cloud will travel to St. Charles, MO, for a couple games at Lindenwood.

Final Score From Saturday, November 3rd
    Ohio State 3
    St. Cloud State 2

Buckeyes Stay The Course, Complete The Sweep

Same Strategies. Same Storm Clouds. Same Buckeye Hands On Deck. Same Final Score. But A Rather Different Voyage.

The Buckeyes again outshot the Huskies by a fair margin. But this time no comeback was needed; Ohio State never trailed. The biggest storm squall came near the end of the game. OSU took a 4 on 4 situation a bit too casually, allowing SCSU to climb back to within a single goal. From there, a furious St. Cloud rally narrowly missed tying the game.

But once again the Buckeyes successfully reached port.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Julia Tylke
    It's fair to say Julia was my favorite Husky this weekend. The Senior Forward's brilliant individual effort on the first Husky goal was highlight reel quality. Stole the puck, launched a shot, recovered the blocked shot, beat the 'D,' pulled the puck across her body, and scored on a nifty backhand. All in continuous, fluid motion. Tylke cracked yesterday's Star List; and I decided to recognize the St. Cloud 'D' with a Star this time. But Julia's wow factor goal needed to be mentioned. Honorably mentioned.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Sophie Jaques
    Sophie gave us a high compete level all weekend long. On Saturday her 6 shots led all players. The freshman from Toronto has quickly become a mainstay on the Buckeye Defense.

#3 Star: (tie) Kenzie Wylie, St. Cloud State; and Abby Theissen, St. Cloud State
    #19 & #28 stood tall and strong on the St. Cloud Blue Line. The top Husky 'D' pair wasn't on the ice for any of the Buckeye goals. Each had a pair of blocked shots. Individually & collectively they were a big reason this weekend's games were close.

#2 Star: (tie) Charly Dahlquist, Ohio State and Madison Field, Ohio State
    When the Intense Dahlquist and the Determined Field get to work, it's a glorious thing. Each provided a vital goal in this one. In this space we'll cover Field's Go Ahead Goal.

Though technically scored at even strength, it came off a power play set, with Jincy Dunne quarterbacking at the point. When the puck got to Emma Maltais, she fired a diagonal, cross-ice pass to Madison in the left circle. That play is really designed for a quick release shot at the back door. But the shot wasn't there, so Field carried the puck up high, then completed a full semi-circle to the right side. The transfixed, flat-footed Husky defense could only watch as Madison beat the St. Cloud goalie on the short side, just inside the right post.

#1 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
    This time Jincy showed up on the scoresheet, with two key assists. But just as importantly, her calm, steady leadership was once again at the heart of the Buckeye victory. In this match-up, this year, the Buckeyes are the more talented team. But relax just a little, and the hardworking Huskies will make you pay.

Now, about that GWG. The play began with a defensive zone D2D pass from Madison Bizal to Jincy. From there Dunne sent an absolutely perfect breakout pass off the wall, hitting Maltais in stride. As is her wont, Emma took off on a majestic dash up the right wing. Precision centering pass from Emma; precision finish from Charly. Yes, we've seen this show before. I promise, it will never get old!

Up Next: Road Trip To Bemidji State.

Confidential To Hannah Potrykus: You and your loyal fans consistently bring great energy to the Ice Rink. It's been a pleasure watching you progress as a player over the course of your career. Just wanted to say thanks, in case this turns out to be your last appearance on OSU Ice. Or, perhaps we'll see you for the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Now, about that GWG. The play began with a defensive zone D2D pass from Madison Bizal to Jincy.
    Gotta love those D2D passes!

Up Next: Road Trip To Bemidji State.
    Watch out for overconfidence: the Beavers just might be the best zero-win team in the country.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Gotta love those D2D passes!
    Was hoping you'd catch that reference.

Watch out for overconfidence: the Beavers just might be the best zero-win team in the country.
    That has to be true!

We play Bemidji at least 4 times a year, and will now have a twenty year history with them. We know what they're about. All that said, your comments are words to the wise.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

I agree that BSU was unlucky to come away with zero points this past weekend.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Completely agree with this. There are no easy outs whatsoever in the WCHA. Week in and week out, any team can beat anyone else in this league.

One more reflection from the St. Cloud games. A while back we had a discussion on why a weekend series tends to split; why performance seems to vary from one game to the other. This weekend there was no such variation. From either team.

Now I wouldn't say that the Buckeyes played an A+ game either day. But they were consistently strong, stuck to the plan, and the got the desired result both times.

Maybe St. Cloud was strong enough to give the Buckeyes stiff resistance, but not strong enough to really knock the Buckeyes off their game. Maybe. But I'm crediting the coaches and team leaders for the consistency and perseverance we saw this weekend.

Maybe St. Cloud was strong enough to give the Buckeyes stiff resistance, but not strong enough to really knock the Buckeyes off their game. Maybe.
    Sometimes these games are decided because over 120 minutes, one team has Emma Maltais and one team doesn't. A goal, three primary assists, and a +3 can tip the scales. It might have been a different weekend if Hockey Canada had invited her to Four Nations.

From a Huskies perspective, I think that they are clearly improved, even if they weren't able to come home with points like they did after tying twice in Columbus last December. For the Buckeyes, they need to hope that SCSU is better than it was to start the season, when it had duplicate 2-3 scores in falling twice at UConn.

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Sometimes these games are decided because over 120 minutes, one team has Emma Maltais and one team doesn't. A goal, three primary assists, and a +3 can tip the scales. It might have been a different weekend if Hockey Canada had invited her to Four Nations.
    Different? For sure.

Different result? My belief is that the Buckeyes would have found a different way to sweep. If the thought is that St. Cloud was only one player away from being the more talented team, I have to disagree.

Now if Emma had missed Friday's game, but if every other factor had held constant, St. Cloud might very well have won that one. The comeback was hard work, and obviously Maltais played a major role in it -- both offensively & defensively. But other factors almost certainly would have varied. In particular, I believe that other Buckeyes would have stepped up to fill the void left by Emma's absence. I also have faith that the consistent effort I saw all through the Buckeye line-up would have held up.

It's fun to speculate. Trouble is, since we're dealing with hypothesis contrary to fact, neither of us can prove a case.

From a Huskies perspective, I think that they are clearly improved, even if they weren't able to come home with points like they did after tying twice in Columbus last December. For the Buckeyes, they need to hope that SCSU is better than it was to start the season, when it had duplicate 2-3 scores in falling twice at UConn.
    Well, I know next to nothing about this year's UCONN team. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if St. Cloud's Huskies are playing much better now than they were the first weekend. Most teams experience an upward trajectory as they move toward mid-season form.

Thanks for the reply!

If the thought is that St. Cloud was only one player away from being the more talented team, I have to disagree.
    I didn't at all mean to imply that SCSU's talent is one player away from being greater than tOSU's talent level. But once the talent gap shrinks to a certain extent, all sorts of things can happen. I think that Minnesota has had a talent advantage on everyone they have played this year, excepting Wisconsin, but still winds up in all sorts of compromising situations.

But other factors almost certainly would have varied. In particular, I believe that other Buckeyes would have stepped up to fill the void left by Emma's absence.
    I totally agree that once you start changing things, other plays may develop differently. That's why I don't hold to the theory of some on here that had a whistle not blown before the Buckeyes would have potentially scored versus Clarkson in March, then they would have won, 1-0, and advanced. We'll never know that either. Teams respond in all sorts of ways once they are pushed, and you could well be correct. Maybe some unheralded players skates in Maltais' spot and turns the tide.

Anyway, you DID have Maltais, and she did what she did, and you now have the six points to prove it.

I agree that BSU was unlucky to come away with zero points this past weekend.
    I believe if BSU had played as hard the previous weekends as they did this last one they would not be an oh-fer. MN did not seem to play up to their potential but some of that has to be credited to the Beavers.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    I believe if BSU had played as hard the previous weekends as they did this last one they would not be an oh-fer. MN did not seem to play up to their potential but some of that has to be credited to the Beavers.
    The thing that really impressed me is the way the Beavers never quit, and didn't seem to tire one bit after falling behind in the second game after losing the first. With their excellent depth the Gophers will often wear out their opponent and take advantage and win (sometimes handily) in the 3rd period, especially in the second game of a series. But Bemidji kept battling, didn't seem to tire in the least, and as a result made it a game until the final buzzer.

Future WCHA opponents should take note and be prepared to go 100% for all six periods.

The thing that really impressed me is the way the Beavers never quit, and didn't seem to tire one bit after falling behind in the second game after losing the first. With their excellent depth the Gophers will often wear out their opponent and take advantage and win (sometimes handily) in the 3rd period, especially in the second game of a series. But Bemidji kept battling, didn't seem to tire in the least, and as a result made it a game until the final buzzer.

Future WCHA opponents should take note and be prepared to go 100% for all six periods.
    All BSU needs right now is that first win. Itís a tough way to start a season but their hard work will eventually pay off. They can bounce back but it has to start soon but next weekend may not be when it happens.
    Last edited by Puckdrop14; 11-05-2018 at 08:56 PM.

That's why I don't hold to the theory of some on here that had a whistle not blown before the Buckeyes would have potentially scored versus Clarkson in March, then they would have won, 1-0, and advanced. We'll never know that either. Teams respond in all sorts of ways once they are pushed, and you could well be correct. Maybe some unheralded players skates in Maltais' spot and turns the tide.
    And conversely, you don't know that Ohio State wouldn't have won that game, seeing as our goaltender stonewalled Clarkson for the entire regulation portion of the game.

I do agree with you regarding Emma Maltais, she is a special player, but we have a lot of great players on our team.
    Last edited by osualum86; 11-05-2018 at 10:25 PM.

I totally agree that once you start changing things, other plays may develop differently. That's why I don't hold to the theory of some on here that had a whistle not blown before the Buckeyes would have potentially scored versus Clarkson in March, then they would have won, 1-0, and advanced. We'll never know that either. Teams respond in all sorts of ways once they are pushed, and you could well be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by osualum86 View Post
    And conversely, you don't know that Ohio State wouldn't have won that game, seeing as our goaltender stonewalled Clarkson for the entire regulation portion of the game.
    You're both correct, of course.

To put a slightly different spin on it: Had Clarkson fallen behind 1-0 during regulation, they definitely would have coached and played the game differently. The easiest example is that had it still been 1-0 in the final minute, the Golden Knights would have pulled the goalie, enhancing their chances to tie. Or lose 2-0. But the game would have been altered in many ways, both foreseeable and unforeseeable.

With the Gophers off this weekend I might have to tune in to FloHockey this afternoon...

WOMEN’S HOCKEY: Beavers welcome No. 4 Buckeyes to Bemidji
    https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sport...ckeyes-bemidji

Despite being outshot 16-6 the Beavers lead the Buckeyes 1-0 after one.

Bemidji takes a 2-0 lead, scoring on a nice 2 on 1 with just 48 seconds to play in the second. Goal by Clair DeGeorge. SOG are now 24-15 OSU.

Thread Information