Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Generally speaking, here's a suggestion.

Learn how to shoot.

I was shocked to find out years ago that UMD didn't hold any shooting drills/clinics...probably still don't. And judging by the way some their players "shot" and still do "shoot"...it shows.

As obvious as the problem was for a few years absolutely nothing was done to address that problem. I know because I asked some of the players and was told that at this level players are supposed to know how to shoot. I expected that answer.

What I also expected was that the coaches would be smart enough to do something about it.

A friend of mine (who I've mentioned before) who holds no whistle scrimmages several times per week told me a few years back about a player that came out to one of his scrimmage. His description of her abilities was "she shoots like a man!" (For any PC'ers in the crowd...that is a serious compliment). Never thought her playing or skating ability was anything to write home about, (still don't), and then a couple of years ago she ended up on Team Canada. The reason she ever got noticed in the first place years before that was the same reason that she ended up on Team Canada...she could shoot like a man. Hopefully, the rest of her abilities could be improved upon until it was passable or better, I assume was the.
    Who was the player? Interesting story. One of Mercyhurst’s best shooters is Emma Nuutinen, and she shoots to score, not to just get something on net. Also happens to be an Olympian, maybe there’s something there. Brittany Howard, one of the best scorers in recent CHA history also shot to score - she works with a skills coach from the NHL in her summers. I saw a Loren Gabel thing recently where she said she shoots 500 pucks a day in the summer. There’s definitely a reason the scorers are goal scorers or end up on the teams they do.

I was listening to a podcast this week and they were talking about how all the NHL guys have shooting coaches now and it’s part of the reason (also gear changes) that scoring is up in the NHL. The young phenoms can shoot because they workin it relentlessly.

That Abigail Levy has three shutouts in a row now too.... gotta give her some credit too!
    Last edited by Lindsay; 12-02-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      Who was the player? Interesting story. One of Mercyhurst’s best shooters is Emma Nuutinen, and she shoots to score, not to just get something on net. Also happens to be an Olympian, maybe there’s something there. Brittany Howard, one of the best scorers in recent CHA history also shot to score - she works with a skills coach from the NHL in her summers. I saw a Loren Gabel thing recently where she said she shoots 500 pucks a day in the summer. There’s definitely a reason the scorers are goal scorers or end up on the teams they do.

I was listening to a podcast this week and they were talking about how all the NHL guys have shooting coaches now and it’s part of the reason (also gear changes) that scoring is up in the NHL. The young phenoms can shoot because they workin it relentlessly.

That Abigail Levy has three shutouts in a row now too.... gotta give her some credit too!
      Poor shooting and passing/pass receiving skills are the two individual skills that have plagued girl's and women's hockey for years. Some of us chose/choose to work on those things on our own time but most do not because they are "as good as" the majority of their peer group, which obviously isn't a compliment. But this isn't a new problem by any means.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
        Poor shooting and passing/pass receiving skills are the two individual skills that have plagued girl's and women's hockey for years. Some of us chose/choose to work on those things on our own time but most do not because they are "as good as" the majority of their peer group, which obviously isn't a compliment. But this isn't a new problem by any means.
        I mean... you and Blackbeard make it sound like players can’t shoot at all and I think that’s an overstatement. Most players shoot reasonably well imo, and the average ability continues to get better. In game play when there are defenders or fatigue, there is a group of elites that stand out, that’s my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          I mean... you and Blackbeard make it sound like players can’t shoot at all and I think that’s an overstatement. Most players shoot reasonably well imo, and the average ability continues to get better. In game play when there are defenders or fatigue, there is a group of elites that stand out, that’s my point.
          No, just that those two skill areas continue to be the weakest part of our sport. Personaly it drives me crazy when I see players that can't pass well enough to connect to teammates accurately, and even crazier when I see players that can't receive a pass that's basically right on their stick blade, so poor passing/receiving ability is the bigger pet peeve for me. We all know that at least 85% of goals are garbage goals scored from in tight anyway, so I guess as long as your team is able to shovel enough of those garbage goals into the opponent's net to keep winning games, then you don't need more good shooters.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            Generally speaking, here's a suggestion.

Learn how to shoot.

Don't know if that is part of the problem on your team but if it isn't then you are in elite shooting company. I've been impressed the last several years how UM and UW seem to have several players on their team who could hold clinics on this. Several on each team is a big reason for their success in my opinion.
            Your point is well-taken. Coach Muzerall and our players have been working on that this season, shooting to score, rather than just shooting to get a shot on goal. Unfortunately for us, we are not at the level of Minnesota or Wisconsin yet when it comes to that. Otherwise, we wouldn't have split this weekend, nor would we have gotten swept at Bemidji. I hope at some point soon we are at that level Minnesota and Wisconsin are at where we don't lose to unranked teams just because we aren't in the friendly confines of the OSU Ice Rink. We are 7-1 at home this season, but just a .500 club (5-5) on the road. Three of those five losses are to Bemidji and Minnesota State. The other road losses are to top ten teams St. Lawrence and Minnesota. Hopefully we figure out the whole road game thing at some point.

Thankfully, the Bucks had a good bounce-back win today, shutting out the Mavericks 2-0. As was the case in yesterday's game, Ohio State out-shot the Mavericks 40-27. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped all 27 of the shots she faced to get her second shutout of the year. Braendli's other shutout was also vs the Mavericks back in October. Maverick goaltender Abigail Levy, who has been amazing this season, stopped 38 of the 40 shots she faced. Tatum Skaggs opened the scoring in the first period with a power play goal and that turned out to be the game-winner. Still in the first period, Samantha Bouley scored Ohio State's second goal. That would be it as neither team found the back of the net in the final two periods. Ohio State has a bye week before returning home on 12/15-12/16 for a big non-league series vs Mercyhurst. Minnesota State will head to Duluth next weekend to take on the Bulldogs before the Holiday break.

Comment

At this level, any player can shoot, though some are definitely better than others (Zumwinkle for the Gophers comes to mind). I think an understated part of the quality shot question is how the non-shooting teammates react to the shot. Do they stand around and watch the goalie make the save? Or are they crashing the net / screening the goalie / looking for a redirect? I thought the answer to that question was the deciding factor in the series this weekend. Braendli didn't have a good look at either of Mankato's goals on Saturday while OSU watched Levy make a lot of easy saves in the chest protector. Sunday, OSU got goals on a scrappy rebound and a nice redirect. The first shot aftermath is the key to beating solid goaltenders at this level.
              Last edited by ChickHicks86; 12-02-2018, 09:05 PM. Reason: Sat/Sun series (not Fri/Sat)
              2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
                At this level, any player can shoot, though some are definitely better than others (Zumwinkle for the Gophers comes to mind). I think an understated part of the quality shot question is how the non-shooting teammates react to the shot. Do they stand around and watch the goalie make the save? Or are they crashing the net / screening the goalie / looking for a redirect? I thought the answer to that question was the deciding factor in the series this weekend. Braendli didn't have a good look at either of Mankato's goals on Saturday while OSU watched Levy make a lot of easy saves in the chest protector. Sunday, OSU got goals on a scrappy rebound and a nice redirect. The first shot aftermath is the key to beating solid goaltenders at this level.
                Excellent points. My Bucks need to figure those things out as these losses have taken their toll. Just checked the PairWise and we are now on the outside looking in at 9th. Thankfully, there is still plenty of season left to move back up.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Excellent points. My Bucks need to figure those things out as these losses have taken their toll. Just checked the PairWise and we are now on the outside looking in at 9th. Thankfully, there is still plenty of season left to move back up.
                  You are on the outside, but you're in 8th, not 9th. St. Anselm is ineligible for the tournament, so they really shouldn't be listed. On the other hand, the CHA is guaranteed a spot, but doesn't have a team in the top eight, so you need to be at least #7 to earn an invite, and higher if there are significant upsets in the conference tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                    because the rest as you say "shoot reasonably well"
                    IOW, they need some work
                    for most, their shooting ability is far below their skating ability, and below passing ability too

I'd say that's Bemidji's biggest problem, they might even be an NCAA tourney team if they could shoot as well as the rest of their game
                    Last edited by pokechecker; 12-03-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      You are on the outside, but you're in 8th, not 9th. St. Anselm is ineligible for the tournament, so they really shouldn't be listed. On the other hand, the CHA is guaranteed a spot, but doesn't have a team in the top eight, so you need to be at least #7 to earn an invite, and higher if there are significant upsets in the conference tournaments.
                      Spot on. That is why we need ro figure stuff out. Don't want to be left out. Thankfully, there is enough season left to move up. I am with you regarding I am not sure why St. Anselm is listed if they are not eligible.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 12-03-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

They had to go to OT but they took down Mercyhurst 2-1. Dominated in SOG maybe someone that saw/heard the game can fill in the details.
                        Congrats to the Buckeyes

Comment

It’s always hard to get a great read on a game from the online stream, but I thought Ohio State had the upper hand for much of the game, as the shots on goal indicate. Mercyhurst’s top line (Isbell, Vasko, Nuutinen) was impressive, and Blair played a solid game in net, but after that, there isn’t much to write about for the Lakers. Both of OSU’s goals were much like the Mankato series in that the only way they found the back of the net was on 2nd chance opportunities. The Buckeyes were fortunate not to end up with a tie in a game where I would say they thoroughly outplayed their opponent. If this team wants to have a successful postseason run, and not be an also-ran, it will be important for them to learn to score more often early in games to put away teams rather than grind out wins against overmatched opponents.
                          Last edited by ChickHicks86; 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM.
                          2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

I thought Ohio State lacked that spark to have intensity in trying to score. After the one goal lead they seemed like they tried to sit on it which usually never works out.
                            Most of the 3rd when OSU would bring the puck in the offensive zone they just kept it along the boards and had to battle for possession of it. Rarely did they try to take it to the net or take a shot other than from a bad angle. We were doing line changes too much when we should have been applying offensive pressure.
                            From my observation Mercyhurst's goalie would be most vulnerable top shelf corners but we were never elevating the puck to hit her weak spots. Only won the game because someone finally went top shelf on the shot.

Comment

BTW, Ohio State's women's basketball team has a game across the breezeway in St.John's tomorrow the same time as our hockey game - there goes the parking!

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, December 15th
                                Ohio State 2
                                Mercyhurst 1
                                (O.T.)

All I Want For Christmas Is ...
                                ... For The Opposing Team To Call Timeout With 1:03 Left In Overtime.

I'm sure the timeout made sense from a Mercyhurst perspective. Slow down the Buckeye push; end the chaos of the previous shift. Trouble is, said chaos was produced by the conspiratorial magic of Dahlquist/Maltais/Skaggs. The fortuitous timeout gave the Buckeye forwards a precious minute of rest, and a second try at breaking the tie.

They did.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: (tie)Andrea Braendli; Ohio State and Kennedy Blair; Mercyhurst
                                Both Goalies turned in stingy, Grinch-Like performances. Both seemed impenetrable 1 on 1. Even the occasional rebounds were steered safely away into empty, harmless space. Not much generosity going on here. Tough for individual stars to shine on offense.

But in the end, there were 3 lovely presents under the tree. It just took real team effort to get them wrapped up and delivered.

#3 Star: 1st Ohio State Goal
                                Deep into the 2nd Period, Sophie Jacques sprung Liz Schepers on a short breakaway from the blue line. Liz broke in alone and steered a nice backhand on target. Blair was more than equal to this initial attempt, kicking out her left leg to make the stop. But as the sprawling Laker Keeper tried to pull the puck under her body, the Buckeyes kept coming. Rebecca Freiburger was the first time arrive, and apparently had the key touch. Gabby Rosenthal got to the slot an instant later, also making a shooting motion. Only the hockey gods know for sure. The guess here is that #15 & #16 won't mind sharing the glory.

#2 Star: Mercyhurst Goal
                                Deep into the 3rd Period, Stacy Morgan won a tough puck battle in her defensive end, and launched a Laker counter-attack. True, Stacy wound up on the ice. But the puck wound up with Sam Isbell, and the rush was on.

Summer-Rae Dobson didn't get an assist on play. But she played a crucial role by driving the net, taking a Buckeye defender with her, and providing a screen on the eventual shot. Alexa Vasko was only too happy to take advantage of the space created by Dobson. Receiving the crossing pass from Isbell, Vasko ripped a shot under the crossbar and into the Buckeye net.

#1 Star: Ohio State's Game Winning Goal
                                Now, about that bonus chaos time: Receiving the puck at the left point, Tatum Skaggs wheeled the puck down the left wing, and attempted to pass the puck the across the slot. Pass blocked. But the puck caromed to a spectacularly open Charly Dahlquist,who was stationed at point blank range. Blair had one more great save in her. But this time the rebound went back to Charly for a second try. With chaos thus restored, Dahlquist's second shot caromed off Emma Maltais and into the Laker net. 'Twas time to celebrate.

Up Next: Rematch With The Lakers @ 1:07 PM Sunday. It's The Final Hockey Exam For Fall Semester!

Comment

Working...
                                X