ECAC Pick The Standings 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Pick The Standings 2018-2019

Before we get into it, I want to once again thank vicb for running this contest for the first 15 years of its existence. It is with his blessing that I will remove the interim tag and become the "permanent" host of the ECAC Pick the Standings contest.

Another year, another contest! One last hurrah for goldenbriggsy for winning last year's contest, and one final laugh at the RPI Standings Board for putting up the worst ever performance of any "entrant" to this little game. As always, the contest is easy. Pick the ECAC Standings at the end of the 2018-19 season in order from 1-12 (no ties). Playoff seedings determine the position of the teams in case of a regular season tie.
    I'm doing away with my change to the scoring from last year because I feel like everyone only paid attention to the numbers they were used to anyway. In short, you will receive a score based on the square of the distance from your picks to the actual standings (e.g., if you pick a team in 4th but they finish in 7th, you get (7-4)2 or 9 points). Sum those up for the twelve ECAC teams and you'll have a score between 0 and 572. The entrant with the lowest score will be our winner.
    You have until the puck drops on the first ECAC contests (Yale at Brown/Union at RPI; Friday, 26 October at 7 PM EDT) to get your picks in.

Tie breakers are:

Pick correctly the ECACHL Regular Season Champ.
    Have the most teams in the correct order of finish.
    Have the most top 6 teams in the correct order of finish.
    I will flip a coin.

You can change your picks at any time up till the drop of the puck of the first league game, however DO NOT EDIT THE ORIGINAL PICKS . Just put up a new post with your change.

Here are the past winners and biggest losers since 2002:

Year Winner Pts Last Place Pts
    2002-2003 Ken Schott 50 jen 288
    2003-2004 inobmaz 70 Earl Leatherland 300
    2004-2005 snwbrdr 82 RPIBMW 330
    2005-2006 Red Cloud 26 Papa Smurf 226
    2006-2007 Slumulva 98 The Random Number 434
    2007-2008 TchrBill 128 The Random Number 420
    2008-2009 Union93 48 cudmud 286
    2009-2010 Saints17 70 Chefvad and petal 354
    2010-2011 Go Puckman 44 sgt12 268
    2011-2012 Kepler 76 The Random Number 314
    2012-2013 Go Puckman 150 cudmud 372
    2013-2014 KnucklePuck CU 100 Old Time Hockey 274
    2014-2015 DrDemento 92 lugnut92 302
    2015-2016 jmhusker 24 ColSkate65 274
    2016-2017 jstadts 64 Rjm7272 372
    2017-2018 goldenbriggsy 78 RPI Standings Board 448

I'll post updates each week so everyone can keep track of their standing as the year progresses. Good luck everyone!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Re: ECAC Pick The Standings 2018-2019

First, the automatic entrants:

Mr. Last Year
    1. Cornell
    2. Union
    3. Clarkson
    4. Harvard
    5. Dartmouth
    6. Colgate
    7. Princeton
    8. Yale
    9. Quinnipiac
    10. Brown
    11. RPI
    12. SLU

The Media
    1. Cornell
    2. Princeton
    3. Clarkson
    4. Union
    5. Harvard
    6. Dartmouth
    7. Yale
    8. Quinnipiac
    9. Colgate
    10. RPI
    11. Brown
    12. SLU

The Coaches
    1. Cornell
    2. Princeton
    3. Union
    4. Clarkson
    5. Harvard
    6. Yale
    7. Quinnipiac
    8. Dartmouth
    9. Colgate
    10. RPI
    11. SLU
    12. Brown

and The Random Number
    1. Colgate
    2. Dartmouth
    3. Cornell
    4. Harvard
    5. Quinnipiac
    6. Brown
    7. Clarkson
    8. Princeton
    9. SLU
    10. Yale
    11. RPI
    12. Union
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I pass the puck to you. Hope this contest will run for many more years and that for once Doc will beat Jenny.

1. The Big Red
      2. Prinny
      3. CCT
      4. Union
      5. Ylae
      6. Hahvad
      7. The Big Green
      8. Quinny
      9. RPI
      10. SLU
      11. Bruno
      12. Colgate
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
        I pass the puck to you. Hope this contest will run for many more years and that for once Doc will beat Jenny.

1. The Big Red
        2. Prinny
        3. CCT
        4. Union
        5. Ylae
        6. Hahvad
        7. The Big Green
        8. Quinny
        9. RPI
        10. SLU
        11. Bruno
        12. Colgate
        Excuse me sir, but does not 2014-2015 count? It may have been the only time but I did win! (BTW even that year I only barely beat her)
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Excuse me sir, but does not 2014-2015 count? It may have been the only time but I did win! (BTW even that year I only barely beat her)
          Wait! You beat Jenny?!?! No Surgeon General nomination for you!!!
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

1. Clarkson
            2. Harvard
            3. Union
            4. Dartmouth
            5. SLU
            6. Cornell
            7. Yale
            8. QU
            9. Princeton
            10. Colgate
            11. Brown
            12. RPI
            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

1. Cornell
              2. Union
              3. Princeton
              4. Clarkson
              5. Harvard
              6. Dartmouth
              7. Colgate
              8. Quinnipiac
              9. Yale
              10. Brown
              11. RPI
              12. St. Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Wait! You beat Jenny?!?! No Surgeon General nomination for you!!!
                She still insists that I swapped lists with her for that year! Not true but she did fabulously well that year as usual. Surgeon General? i stay as far from politics as possible.

Comment

Some quote about "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often" applies .
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Some quote about "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often" applies .
                    A broken clock is still right twice each day.
                    A rolling stone gathers no moss
                    You can lead a horse to water but ..........

Adages are fine but after 16 years that list is still kind of select. I am also a proud winner of the pick the playoffs contest one year. I am not aware of many at the top twice and there are a long list of entrants who's names never even scratch the top 5 of either contest. BTW Vic, that nut was a Macadamia and I must say quite delicious! Thanks for running the show for so many years and hope everything is going well for you.

Not sure if I will enter this year as i have suffered a severe retinal detachment along with a considerable tear with a hole forming in my right eye. So your blind squirrel reference is appropriate. Have had it repaired in an almost 4 hour surgery (I insisted on remaining awake throughout - which is not being stoic but probably moronic) but have a gas bubble in place in the eye currently to try to hold the retina in place which is opaque and impossible to see through (although it is shrinking slowly and now looks much like looking through a heated lava lamp). Have further surgery planned but unsure of timing.

Comment

Adages are fine but after 16 years that list is still kind of select. I am also a proud winner of the pick the playoffs contest one year. I am not aware of many at the top twice and there are a long list of entrants who's names never even scratch the top 5 of either contest. BTW Vic, that nut was a Macadamia and I must say quite delicious! Thanks for running the show for so many years and hope everything is going well for you.

Not sure if I will enter this year as i have suffered a severe retinal detachment along with a considerable tear with a hole forming in my right eye. So your blind squirrel reference is appropriate. Have had it repaired in an almost 4 hour surgery (I insisted on remaining awake throughout - which is not being stoic but probably moronic) but have a gas bubble in place in the eye currently to try to hold the retina in place which is opaque and impossible to see through (although it is shrinking slowly and now looks much like looking through a heated lava lamp). Have further surgery planned but unsure of timing.
                      Sorry to read things have been so awful; I sincerely hope for a positive recovery.

Comment

I think I cracked the top 10 once so far be it for me to disparage your achievement.

Doc I hope you have a full recovery. I'm doing good, no treatments yet for my multiple myeloma but it is tough growing old in our family. My wife has had 2 brain surgeries to implant micro electrodes and chest surgery to implant a neuro-stimulator attached to the electrodes to eliminate involuntary shaking of her hands. In addition she has a pacemaker to in the other side of her chest to keep her heart beating at a steady rate. All of this she has come thru and has improved her quality of life. You and Jenny keep well and safe.
                        Last edited by vicb; 09-23-2018, 11:48 AM.
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

I think I cracked the top 10 once so far be it for me to disparage your achievement.

Doc I hope you have a full recovery. I'm doing good, no treatments yet for my multiple myeloma but it is tough growing old in our family. My wife has had 2 brain surgeries to implant micro electrodes and chest surgery to implant a neuro-stimulator attached to the electrodes to eliminate involuntary shaking of her hands. In addition she has a pacemaker to in the other side of her chest to keep her heart beating at a steady rate. All of this she has come thru and has improved her quality of life. You and Jenny keep well and safe.
                          Vic: We are becoming quite bionic. Glad to hear no treatments needed yet for you. For the Mrs. sorry to hear the necessity for the electric implants, but if they are helping, great. Just makes me think of the Cheers episode where the older man at the bar (Al) gets his hands on the neuro stimulator for use on Cliff and starts yelling out 'Dance mailman Dance'. Having been in medicine now for over 50 years, even I had to be amazed by the eye surgery they were able to perform upon me. Honestly was awake for all but the first 5 minutes for insertion of a few instruments, but felt nothing the entire time. There have truly been some amazing advances but there are just as many conditions and diseases that have shown either no improvements or no better treatments also. I suppose we have to be fortunate enough to contract something that falls into the group where the advances have been substantial.
                          Now if we can only come up with some substantial improvements for RPI Hockey life would truly be good. You got me thinking, electronic implants might be a thought???

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Sorry to read things have been so awful; I sincerely hope for a positive recovery.
                            FDude: Thanks for the thoughts. Not as awful as i make things sound. Every one experiences lots of these things. It seems to balance out.

Comment

1) Cornell
                              2) Princeton
                              3) Union
                              4) Dartmouth
                              5) Clarkson
                              6) Harvard
                              7) Quinnipiac
                              8) Yale
                              9) Colgate
                              10) St. Lawrence