This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I saw a pretty big drop in my projected taxes next year.
    Do you itemize? If not, I could see you getting a decent drop.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Sure. I could care less about my taxes too. However, I do care that the economy is good and all the money is gone. Cause, the economy is going to go bad. And when it goes bad there will be nowhere to turn.

We're looking at another big, long, disastrous recession.

And when that happens everything will get worse. Everything.
      See, this is why we elect Republicans. Then we can stockpile guns and ammo for when the big downturn hits.

Wait, what's that? If we elected a Democrat we could still have our guns and *NOT* need to use them for a GOP fueled purge? Well sh**.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: The States: At Least Michigan is Better Than Indiana

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        See, this is why we elect Republicans. Then we can stockpile guns and ammo for when the big downturn hits.

Wait, what's that? If we elected a Democrat we could still have our guns and *NOT* need to use them for a GOP fueled purge? Well sh**.
        Isn't saving for a rainy day, paying the bills, etc. a "conservative" construct.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Isn't saving for a rainy day, paying the bills, etc. a "conservative" construct.
          Modern day conservatism is about cutting revenue. It's a brilliant business model, I don't understand why businesses don't follow it. How little money can we bring in, while still spending on things that make our friends rich?
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Sure. I could care less about my taxes too. However, I do care that the economy is good and all the money is gone. Cause, the economy is going to go bad. And when it goes bad there will be nowhere to turn.

We're looking at another big, long, disastrous recession.

And when that happens everything will get worse. Everything.
            Oh I know it is coming that is inevitable at this point. Every time the Fed even hints at trying to take measures to fix it Trump turns a brighter shade of orange...

I itemized last year so in theory I should be way better off this year. I also have a lower taxable income I believe because I quit my primary job. I shouldnt owe like I have the last two years I should be in line for a nice refund. That will go right into savings...
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Interesting. I was told it’d be close or maybe worse for me.
              Overall, income tax paid by individuals is up, as corporate tax is down 31%.

I'm not sure why this is not a big thing.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Overall, income tax paid by individuals is up, as corporate tax is down 31%.

I'm not sure why this is not a big thing.
                It's not a big thing because the Democrats suck at marketing.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Do you itemize? If not, I could see you getting a decent drop.
                  Yeah. But it’s close. Next year my mortgage interest drop is probably just going to put me below the itemization limit. I have a 15-year 2.75%. So I have a pretty low mortgage deduction. My local property taxes are also quite low. If I lived five miles south in the same home, I’d be paying 50-100% more.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Yeah. But it’s close. Next year my mortgage interest drop is probably just going to put me below the itemization limit. I have a 15-year 2.75%. So I have a pretty low mortgage deduction. My local property taxes are also quite low. If I lived five miles south in the same home, I’d be paying 50-100% more.
                    So the standard deduction essentially doubled, but they dropped the personal exemptions, so it's not as much of a savings as you'd think (the standard deduction + personal exemption was about 10,000 combined in 2017, this year the standard deduction is 12,000). If you were borderline before, you'll probably be under the threshold to itemize this year.

I will most likely get the fun of taking standard deduction on the fed return and itemizing on my state return (they let us do that)
                    Last edited by unofan; 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

So assuming Iowa's turnout is ~40% of registered voters, roughly 10 percent of all ballots have already been cast. (2,000,000 registered voters, assume 800,000 vote, 88,000 have already been received by the county auditors).

Trend so far looks more like 2012 than 2016, with Dems having a 2:1 advantage thus far. That gap will close, and the GOP will win among election day voters, but you can't say there's an enthusiasm gap in favor of the GOP at the moment.
                      Last edited by unofan; 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Traditionally, Democrats vote early, Republicans late, according to my poli-sci professors. That may have changed in the past 20 years, but it was a long-standing trend going back decades when the information was presented to us.

(more adding to your point that anything, uno.)
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Traditionally, Democrats vote early, Republicans late, according to my poli-sci professors. That may have changed in the past 20 years, but it was a long-standing trend going back decades when the information was presented to us.

(more adding to your point that anything, uno.)
                          Yeah, 2 years ago, the early gap wasn't close to 2:1, and by election day the GOP had basically pulled even in the early voting. Knew the Dems were in trouble then, cause election day voters skew GOP.

Comment

Interesting. I was told it’d be close or maybe worse for me.
                            You and I are in the prime zone for this tax cut. Single, high earner, no dependents. The people hurt the most by this are married, with dependents, and in high SALT states. There will be some weird dynamics for medium to very high earners in some states like Minnesota, New Jersey, California, New York, etc. These people might get hurt more by the SALT cap than helped by the lower rates. You might fall in that category depending on how much you pay in SAL taxes. Eventually if they make enough money there might be a crossover where they actually start to benefit from rate cuts more than the SALT cap hurts them. Not sure though.

I don't pay enough in SALT to get hurt by it yet. Your city and house value might end up screwing you in that sense.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            So the standard deduction essentially doubled, but they dropped the personal exemptions, so it's not as much of a savings as you'd think (the standard deduction + personal exemption was about 10,000 combined in 2017, this year the standard deduction is 12,000). If you were borderline before, you'll probably be under the threshold to itemize this year.

I will most likely get the fun of taking standard deduction on the fed return and itemizing on my state return (they let us do that)
                            Yeah, I'm in a good spot. Single, no dependents, high income, low local taxes (state is relatively high normal). I will benefit the most. Married couples with a few kids in blue states are going to take it in the pants.
                            Code:
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I’m in Edina and have high home value and high taxes. And I used to be in Minneapolis and had high property tax there too. I’m talking between 4500-5500 each year on property tax alone

Comment

I’m in Edina and have high home value and high taxes. And I used to be in Minneapolis and had high property tax there too. I’m talking between 4500-5500 each year on property tax alone
                                Ouch, that's half the cap. I'm at about $2,600-$2,800 a year in GDO. A similar home in Woodbury is over $3,800.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X