X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: At Least Michigan is Better Than Indiana

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Have you met our solid red legislature yet? No, I don't think you have.
    Although admittedly blue legislators received more votes than red.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Pop quiz: guess which Midwest city, after denying lead tainted water issues, just announced 1-in-5 homes have high lead levels.

If you named any city in Michigan, you're wrong.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Ahhh, New Jersey. Keep taxing.

And, of course, I moved to Maryland in 1979 which also has an inheritance tax.

https://www.nj.com/business/index.ss...how_to_av.html
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Ahhh, New Jersey. Keep taxing.

And, of course, I moved to Maryland in 1979 which also has an inheritance tax.

https://www.nj.com/business/index.ss...how_to_av.html
          Not seeing the problem...

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Not seeing the problem...
            Does your state tax inhertance?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's your answer?

Comment

Yes, but even if it didn't, i'd be for it. Every other monetary transaction is taxed. Inheritance should be, too.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Yes, but even if it didn't, i'd be for it. Every other monetary transaction is taxed. Inheritance should be, too.
                  That money was most likely already taxed once. I'm against it.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We technically do, but the methods of collection have changed to the point that the tax rate is effectively 0%, and no money is collected. We used to tax inheritance prior to 1993, and then it was converted to an estate tax, which ceased to be collected in 2005 when the feds changed some collection rules, and we didn't do anything to adapt the existing laws.

We should have both. Maybe that money could've helped, "Fix the d@mn roads!" or the d@mn public schools.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    There are usually exemptions up to a certain amount. A couple million or so for estates, and several hundred thousand for inheritances.

To put it another way - sure, keep the family homestead. But not the two vacation homes, and the ski condo in Aspen, and the yacht.

Plus, with all the tax shelters and loopholes, most of the money earned by the wealthy today hasn't been taxed at a particularly high rate.
                    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-04-2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Every dollar is taxed more than once. What a bizarre argument.

We have income taxes applied to every dollar we earn. Should we abolish gas taxes, sales taxes, and all other secondary taxes?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

We have income taxes applied to every dollar we earn. Should we abolish gas taxes, sales taxes, and all other secondary taxes?
                        Do you get taxed for your previous years refund too? That one seems weird to me

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'm talking personal income from inheritance. Of course EVERY dollar is taxed more than once, but in the cases you are stating, you are also receiving goods/services. You choose to spend that taxable money, you know?
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Every dollar has been taxed before. Probably thousands of times. The money you spend, the money you earn, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I'm talking personal income from inheritance. Of course EVERY dollar is taxed more than once, but in the cases you are stating, you are also receiving goods/services. You choose to spend that taxable money, you know?
                              And in inheritance, you're receiving stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                And in inheritance, you're receiving stuff too.
                                You don't really choose that.

Parents die: okay, we had this, now it's yours.
                                Uncle Same: okay, we want another piece of that. Just because.

I don't like it.

I agree that in the cases of the rich, they probably found loopholes to avoid an initial taxing (so close those loopholes), I just disagree with the inheritance tax. That money/property/etc is in that family. Let it be when it passes on to the next generation.

Comment

Working...
                                X