X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: At Least Michigan is Better Than Indiana

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Have you ever looked into what those foundations are doing? Those three people listed, Buffet, Gates, and Zuckerberg, have three of the most active foundations going. The Bill and Mary Gates Foundation is single-handedly attributed with saving millions of lives in Africa, provided free vaccinations to impoverished nations.

Given what we know about the Trump Foundation, I think you're confusing the people and their foundations.
    "Melinda."

My sister-in-law works there as an epidemiologist, doing the mathematical modeling to help decide whether it's "better" (definitions may vary) to spend their money on vaccine A in country X, vaccine B in country Y, or some optimal combination thereof. It's an amazingly passionate group of people - yes, it is gainful employment, but you would never work there unless your heart was in the mission.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

And don'tcha know that vaccinations are a gubmint plot to inject our children with mind control devices?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        "Melinda."

My sister-in-law works there as an epidemiologist, doing the mathematical modeling to help decide whether it's "better" (definitions may vary) to spend their money on vaccine A in country X, vaccine B in country Y, or some optimal combination thereof. It's an amazingly passionate group of people - yes, it is gainful employment, but you would never work there unless your heart was in the mission.
        I am going to try and get a job there. Love them.

Comment

Did research on them for a college class. Very enlightening on what their foundation does, especially on their efforts to eradicate Polio (the focus of the research paper). Their ability to "swoop in" financially and physically with boots on the ground to help wipe out this disease was incredible to read up on.

The problem now is pushing across the finish line as there are still hold out countries that are hobbling the efforts to wipe out Polio. And, because its 99% gone, developed nations feel they dont need to vaccinate for it anymore causing hot spots of Polio to reappear in areas it was once deemed eradicated.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Just now researching some of the down ballot races. I find it interesting that someone wanting to be on MSU's board of trustees brags on his candidate survey that he and the wife home school their children. I'm sorry, but if you don't believe in public education for your family, why would I vote for you to help shape decisions at a public university? (not that I was actually considering voting a tea party candidate, I'm just curious about other perspectives).
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Just now researching some of the down ballot races. I find it interesting that someone wanting to be on MSU's board of trustees brags on his candidate survey that he and the wife home school their children. I'm sorry, but if you don't believe in public education for your family, why would I vote for you to help shape decisions at a public university? (not that I was actually considering voting a tea party candidate, I'm just curious about other perspectives).
              Choosing to home school or send your kids to private school doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in public education. Growing up I went to private catholic school because my parents wanted my brothers and I to have religious instruction in school that we wouldn't get in the local public schools, but my mom worked (and still does) for a public school district. I have a coworker who home schooled her kid for the last year because of special needs, but they've been working to get him back into public school.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

@HumaneSociety: BREAKING NEWS: #Florida votes to end greyhound racing! 🎉

Now, thousands of dogs will be spared of pain and suffering that is inherent in the greyhound racing industry. We can’t thank you enough for voting #YesOn13, Florida!

#GreyhoundRacing #Greyhounds https://twitter.com/HumaneSociety/st...827398/photo/1
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  Choosing to home school or send your kids to private school doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in public education. Growing up I went to private catholic school because my parents wanted my brothers and I to have religious instruction in school that we wouldn't get in the local public schools, but my mom worked (and still does) for a public school district. I have a coworker who home schooled her kid for the last year because of special needs, but they've been working to get him back into public school.
                  This. I went to a Catholic school K-8, because of smaller classes, religious teaching, and yes, better education at that particular school. However, despite me wanting to go to Catholic high school, my parents had my brother and me go to public school, due to decent education, and learn in a different environment that a public school had to offer.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sigh...

The anti-marijuana group in Michigan says they’ll now move their focus to helping localities ban it as well as try to ban edibles.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      Sigh...

The anti-marijuana group in Michigan says they’ll now move their focus to helping localities ban it as well as try to ban edibles.
                      That doesn't surprise me. I would actually be OK with a ban on selling edibles, though obviously you aren't going to stop people from making them at home. Most people don't know what the fook they're getting into when they scarf down an entire brownie or make firecrackers for the first time.

Per the law, localities can ban sales, but not possession. It's the same deal in Colorado and other states that have gone down this road. It's fine.

Your employer can still fire you if you test positive during a random, FWIW.

Comment

Graphical representation of the state leg chambers:
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yeah. The state chambers was one of the first things I checked out Tuesday night. Was disappointed that so many local races were in the hands of the GOP. We in MN will have the near perfect set up of a talented D govern, a strong D House and a one person R majority in the Senate.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

It should hopefully change for the better in Michigan in a couple years. Dems had 110k more votes for the senate and 200k more for the house, but gerrymandering kept GOP in control.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              It should hopefully change for the better in Michigan in a couple years. Dems had 110k more votes for the senate and 200k more for the house, but gerrymandering kept GOP in control.
                              This trend is stunningly common across the country.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Have you ever looked into what those foundations are doing? Those three people listed, Buffet, Gates, and Zuckerberg, have three of the most active foundations going. The Bill and Mary Gates Foundation is single-handedly attributed with saving millions of lives in Africa, provided free vaccinations to impoverished nations.
                                So does Bono's foundation, and he also got caught keeping over 99% of the proceeds. As typical, using the ends to justify the means.

Comment

Working...
                                X