X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: At Least Michigan is Better Than Indiana

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Is Hovey is popping champagne a la the 72 Dolphins?
    Not a big champagne guy, although I did enjoy watching the '72 Dolphins play.

Even so, I don't think I ever posted that I thought it was smart of them to pass the laws. As I posted before, it's not like the limitations only apply to a Democrat holding the governor's office. Plus, why give your opponents something to run on.

But I also don't think the republic is doomed because some state legislature passed lame duck legislation that provides (they think) some political advantage.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      You always sound concerned when you fall back into your "I'm just asking questions" mode.
      I'm not a legal expert. I defer to the lawyers in this board on jurisdiction.

I once heard that the dumbest question is the one you don't ask.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Maybe, but in your case its usually the ones that you do ask!
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Maybe, but in your case its usually the ones that you do ask!
            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Whoever said that was absolutely wrong and obviously never heard the counter, "Tis better to be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Comment

@WTOP: NEWS ALERT: Va. Gov. Ralph Northam and GOP legislators agree on I-81 toll plan https://wtop.com/virginia/2019/01/va-to-toll-i-81/
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Why would any woman still be a Republican?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    53%
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Middle America's Stepford wives.

Also, some women just really hate other women.

Comment

Does SCOTUS want to get down to the State level on a gerrymander ruling or will it stop at the House and figure the state courts will get the message?
                        Stiff upper lip, joe. Looks like your party's over. It was a fun decade for you guys, though.

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court delivered a major victory in the fight against Republican gerrymandering in Virginia when it declined the GOP’s request to stay a lower court’s ruling that ordered lawmakers to redraw 11 state House districts that had been struck down for discriminating against black voters. The high court’s refusal to halt the lower court's proceedings while it considers Republicans' appeal is a strong sign that the GOP will ultimately lose that appeal.

Consequently, Virginia is poised to have new, fairer districts for this November’s elections. And since Republicans hold just a 51-49 majority in this increasingly blue state, Democrats will have a strong chance to win back the House for the first time since the 1997 elections.

Because Virginia’s GOP-majority legislature and Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam couldn’t agree on replacement districts last year, the district court overseeing the case appointed a nonpartisan expert to assist it with drawing a new map. That "special master," UC Irvine law professor Bernie Grofman, has already released multiple proposals that would fix these discriminatory districts. Grofman’s maps would alter as many as 26 of the chamber's 100 districts (largely in the Richmond and Hampton Roads regions) because a number of districts adjacent to the 11 invalidated ones will also have to be adjusted.
                        "Aint it funny how you feel / When you're findin' out it's real?"
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-08-2019, 02:02 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          53%
                          Already down to 49%. You may need to find something else to feel suicidal about soon.

Two years ago, 53 percent of white women voters cast their ballots not for the first woman presidential nominee from a major party, but for a man who had been caught on tape bragging about his ability to grab women “by the *****.”

Political scientists said this should come as no surprise, since women have never been a reliable voting bloc. Women — especially white women — vote their party, not their gender.

But a lot has changed since 2016.

White women stayed loyal to Republicans in some key races, helping to reelect Sen. Ted Cruz in Texas and send Ron DeSantis to the governor’s mansion in Florida. But across the country as a whole, about 49 percent of white women voted for Democrats in House races, while another 49 percent voted for Republicans, according to exit polling by CNN.

In 2016, by contrast, just 43 percent of white women voted for Democratic House candidates, while 55 percent voted for Republicans.

Half of white women is hardly a landslide, but the shift contributed to a history-making night for Democrats, who scored the highest margin of victory ever among women voters in a midterm election, with 59 percent of women across the country voting for Democrats in the House.

White women, especially those with college educations, have been moving away from Republicans for several years, Susan Carroll, a professor of political science and women’s and gender studies at Rutgers University, told Vox. And while the reasons are many, “it seems pretty clear that it’s a response to the politics of the Trump administration and the Republican Party.”

For some white women who voted Republican or stayed home in 2016, President Donald Trump’s degrading comments about women may have made the difference. For others, maybe it was the confirmation of Justice Brett Kavanaugh. For still others, maybe it was the leadership of women activists and candidates of color.

Whatever the case, after two years of a Trump presidency, some white women have gotten to a place where many women of color have been for some time: disgusted with Republicans and ready to turn out in force for Democrats.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Already down to 49%. You may need to find something else to feel suicidal about soon.
                            Suicidal? Really?

No. Just misleading the public as much as I can.

Also, that was when Trump was ON THE BALLOT. The worst candidate for women ever elected.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Suicidal? Really?

No. Just misleading the public as much as I can.

Also, that was when Trump was ON THE BALLOT. The worst candidate for women ever elected.
                              You always throw it up there like Golde's sigh in Fiddler.

If it bugs you then get out there, talk to people, and change things. It works!

But if you sit on your hands you don't get to wear the sackcloth and ashes.
                              Cornell University

Comment

You always throw it up there like Golde's sigh in Fiddler.

If it bugs you then get out there, talk to people, and change things. It works!

But if you sit on your hands you don't get to wear the sackcloth and ashes.
                                I have talked to people. It doesn't work as well as you think it does. I love all the assumptions that are made about me around here. It's comical.

Comment

Working...
                                X