Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotus 11: Will Thomas Ever Speak Again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scotus 11: Will Thomas Ever Speak Again?

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    That whole thing is f'in WEIRD. If Kavanaugh is completely innocent, is there ANY reason to "go there" with this BS? Its not like this Whelan guy is Alex Jones. He's a former SCOTUS clerk and a good buddy of Kavanaugh. I also think he's now going to get sued into oblivion.
    You know they're just building to their end-theory, which is that it was actually a young Hillary Clinton with a Kavanaugh mask and a strap-on.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Pretty much...and my guess is there is way more. There is a reason they classified everything and it isnt just for the lulz.
      This isn't a debate. Both sides say their piece and that is it. Why should he get to rebut anything? Can she then rebut his rebuttal?

Dersh is a clown and needs to go away.
      Each side should get the opportunity to respond to the other's testimony. But if they do that, they must limit rebuttal to just that--rebuttal. How to do that is not an uncommon problem in civil court, and given that this committee is controlled by GOP members who have been very open about their foregone conclusions, I doubt they will limit rebuttal the way a presiding judge would.

Still, if this thing is televised live and with November right around the corner, the GOP has to be a little careful how they run this show.

Comment

Both sides say their piece and that is it. Why should he get to rebut anything?
        Handy, you're up first, mount your defense, state your case.
        Your new MN AG Ellison will present the full scope and nature, the details, of the charges against you when you're finished.
        Oh, and you get no rebuttal after Keith's done.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

There's a reason trial courts (and appellate courts) allow rebuttal. They should allow it here with respect to Ford's allegations but enforce it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Your new MN AG Ellison will present the full scope and nature, the details, of the charges against you when you're finished.
            Ah, I see. You weren't able to come up with a rebuttal re Ellison yesterday, so now you're just going to "cleverly" slip his name into the discussion whenever you get a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              You're confusing this with a criminal proceeding in a court of law.

Kavanaugh says he wasn't there, it never happened. Seems kind of cut and dried.

If she can offer proof that he's lying, what's it matter if he appears after her? "Ok, yeah, I was there, but I didn't do this". Damage is already done. he's too untrustworthy to be confirmed to a position on the highest court in the land.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                You know they're just building to their end-theory, which is that it was actually a young Hillary Clinton with a Kavanaugh mask and a strap-on.
                That's too perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Each side should get the opportunity to respond to the other's testimony. But if they do that, they must limit rebuttal to just that--rebuttal. How to do that is not an uncommon problem in civil court, and given that this committee is controlled by GOP members who have been very open about their foregone conclusions, I doubt they will limit rebuttal the way a presiding judge would.

Still, if this thing is televised live and with November right around the corner, the GOP has to be a little careful how they run this show.
                  I don't think he necessarily has to go first. What I would say is that he shouldn't get a preview of her testimony before he faces the Senate themselves. No 3 hour breaks while he has a chance to get his story straight. Sequester his arse if needed in a basement closet with no cell phones and no toadies telling him what happened.

I also think her lawyers are right. No outside council female shark doing the questioning. Or if they're going to allow that, then her lawyer gets to be the one questioning Kavanaugh because that's only fair. Would like to see that!
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Actually, on the subject of Ford's allegations, the ordinary (court) procedure would be to allow her to go first, he responds and she gets to rebut.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      This is not a debate. Both sides will testify and likely answer questions. There is no need for rebuttal.

You get that this isn't a trial right?

The same holds true for Ellison if he goes in front of committee. Your gotcha isn't working. (And your didn't read my post about Ellison obviously)
                      Last edited by Handyman; 09-21-2018, 01:08 PM.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This isn't a debate. Both sides say their piece and that is it. Why should he get to rebut anything? Can she then rebut his rebuttal?

Dersh is a clown and needs to go away.
                        I'm going to disagree with you here. It's her allegation. How is he supposed to go first without knowing what she is going to accuse him of, other than media reports about some letter she wrote?

This isn't a trial, and she's trying to make it like she has a "fair chance" to win or something. There aren't going to be any winners here.

She should come in and tell the committee what she claims he did. If he wants, or if the committee insists, Kavanaugh should be called to respond. Then make a decision.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Actually, on the subject of Ford's allegations, the ordinary (court) procedure would be to allow her to go first, he responds and she gets to rebut.
                          That's what I was thinking too.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Except again...this isn't a court.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I'm going to disagree with you here. It's her allegation. How is he supposed to go first without knowing what she is going to accuse him of, other than media reports about some letter she wrote?

This isn't a trial, and she's trying to make it like she has a "fair chance" to win or something. There aren't going to be any winners here.

She should come in and tell the committee what she claims he did. If he wants, or if the committee insists, Kavanaugh should be called to respond. Then make a decision.
                              If they prefer she go first that is fine. To me both sides state their case and answer questions then all is well. Rebuttal though will give him a chance to change his story and unless she has the same right is rather unfair.

If both get a rebuttal I think it is fine otherwise I just would rather they say their piece and get grilled by the senators.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This discussion is a little out of place in that Ford is not a party but a witness. It's also easy to confuse defense and rebuttal, as they are applied in court proceedings.

As a basic concept, though, they should both be allowed to respond to the other's testimony. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X