Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotus 11: Will Thomas Ever Speak Again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scotus 11: Will Thomas Ever Speak Again?

Was blackout drunk many times in my day. Never managed to assault or rape anyone. Imagine that.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      I'll admit, this is a special job, and for certain positions you maybe should be beyond reproach. But I didn't make an automatic assumption it should be a disqualifier when I heard what he was accused of, including when and the context. Just like I didn't think the accusations against Franken should automatically disqualify him for the Senate job.
      You first quickly mention that its a lifelong appointment. And then once you've got that cover...you let him off the hook using equivalency with Franken that's false - because Franken was not in a lifelong appointment. Cleverly put.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        You first quickly mention that its a lifelong appointment. And then once you've got that cover...you let him off the hook using equivalency with Franken that's false - because Franken was not in a lifelong appointment. Cleverly put.
        But it would have been if he hadn't resigned. Congress is turning into a senior living facility.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          He’s still a thing?
          Ford was a teen at the time so of course Moore sees no problem.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            But it would have been if he hadn't resigned. Congress is turning into a senior living facility.
            This is statewide MN not MD. We'll see where it goes, but Ellison is vulnerable.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Not really, if anything he'd be vulnerable to a challenger and it was a strategic political move to get him out of there.

Comment

RWNJ Sexist Thread of the Day. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Juveniles do a lot of stupid things, especially when alcohol is involved. That's why in most states they are punished differently, with the punishment frequently ending when minority status does. But that should disqualify you for a job thirty years later?

I'll admit, this is a special job, and for certain positions you maybe should be beyond reproach. But I didn't make an automatic assumption it should be a disqualifier when I heard what he was accused of, including when and the context. Just like I didn't think the accusations against Franken should automatically disqualify him for the Senate job.
                  Yes it is the position that is the ultimate problem. I am not saying he should never have ANY job but this is a bit different. It isnt like he got a DUI or something the guy is being accused of sexual assault. You cant use age as a mitigating factor here.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Freep is a cesspool, news at 10.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      Even if she testifies, it's all for naught. the Republicans are making big statements about how they want to hear what she has to say, but they're doing everything they can to make sure she isn't heard. They scheduled this hearing for Monday without even contacting her to see if she could make it at that time. And they're all talking as if this is some kind of ultimatum, be there Monday or else. And they're all saying that no matter how credible she is, this thing is gonna come to an end, and they're gonna hold their vote.

Nothing she tells them will make a difference. Without calling other people to this hearing who could corroborate/negate her story, it's simply he said, she said, and republican have made it clear who they believe.
                      I think if she testified and was credible the pressure on enough senators to vote no would be pretty high. Even frauds like Collins and Murkowski would feel the heat. Plus it has never looked good when a bunch of pasty old white dudes brow beat a woman for the world to see.

As it is if she doesnt they can just ignore her.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Nice try but no.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I think if she testified and was credible the pressure on enough senators to vote no would be pretty high. Even frauds like Collins and Murkowski would feel the heat. Plus it has never looked good when a bunch of pasty old white dudes brow beat a woman for the world to see.

As it is if she doesnt they can just ignore her.
                          Murkowski says already he's a no. Collins is playing wishy washy, but everything she says indicates that nothing will stop her from voting yes. I mean, she wanted to put the woman under cross-examination.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I'm not sure the idea that Ford can't be ready, isn't ready, or is just plain reluctant to testify on Monday can be entirely spun onto the R's plate. The offer to go to her, or to send staff to interview her privately if she doesn't want to speak to Senators has apparently been made. Seems Ford doesn't want to testify at all, unless perhaps someone can corroborate her story, which so far apparently hasn't happened. Kavanaugh, Judge, and a third person Ford named as being at the party have all essentially denied it and also supported Kavanaugh's character publicy. I certainly don't blame her for not wanting to testify, it makes sense she doesn't want to be subjected to a "she said, they said" inquiry even if we accept her accusation vs. Kavanaugh as being entirely true and accurate.

We know Ford had already decided she didn't want to come forward publicly at all, let alone testify before the Senate, as she told Feinstein as much in late August. Despite this, some two weeks later, on Sept. 12, Feinstein decided to share the contents of Ford's letter with Democrats on the Judiciary committee. (but not the actual letter itself.) The existence of the letter, most of the details in it, and much about the identity of the author were almost immediately leaked by D's on the Judiciary committee or their staff. We know that because a story with most of the details appeared in the Intercept later that very same day. The next day, Feinstein made the existence of the now already mostly pubic letter, public, and then forwarded it to Justice. Three days later Ford came forward, but only after having been outed by leaks and having been contacted by several reporters and the Washington Post. Probably in a "we know it's you, and we want to give you a chance to comment before we go to press" kind of call. Seems clear D's leaked Ford's identity against Ford's explicit wishes, and helped put her in the very position she specifically asked not to be put in.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              Freep is a cesspool, news at 10.
                              We all have our trainwrecks. Kepler has The Bachelor, I have FreeRepublic.

Comment

My fear is that we are migrating from "innocent until proven guilty" to "guilty until proven innocent"; but, it's worse, as it seems in a #MeToo world it's "guilty upon accusation", with certain exceptions*.

*See: MN AG candidate Ellison
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X