Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotus 11: Will Thomas Ever Speak Again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scotus 11: Will Thomas Ever Speak Again?

Feinstein on Kavanaugh Accuser: "I Can't Say Everything Is Truthful"

Please retire. I said please.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Maybe this is for the travel thread, but have any of you visited the Court during oral arguments?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        The FBI did it in the Thomas hearing at the behest of President Bush.
        And it ended up hurting Hill's credibility and paved the way for Thomas to be confirmed. Hill gave at least one if not two statements to the FBI, under oath. Then, when she testified before the Senate she was also under oath. The problem is, the testimony never comes out exactly the same, or can be made to appear that way, which then causes the accuser to look like a liar or lack credibility.

The best thing that Ford could do is just go in and tell her story to the Committee. All they have is her letter. They have no other way of trying to get behind her story, no prior sworn testimony with which to impeach her, so she'll look credible.

What's going to happen now is that the Committee is just going to say, "we gave her a chance to be heard, but she declined" and that will be the end of that.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That may be, I am just saying they have done it. At this point if I was Ford I am not sure I would want to go in from of Congress until an impartial group looked into it first. They are going to try and burn her at the stake. Hell Graham is already insinuating she is on the take (or worse) because she somehow afforded a lawyer.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            And it ended up hurting Hill's credibility and paved the way for Thomas to be confirmed. Hill gave at least one if not two statements to the FBI, under oath. Then, when she testified before the Senate she was also under oath. The problem is, the testimony never comes out exactly the same, or can be made to appear that way, which then causes the accuser to look like a liar or lack credibility.

The best thing that Ford could do is just go in and tell her story to the Committee. All they have is her letter. They have no other way of trying to get behind her story, no prior sworn testimony with which to impeach her, so she'll look credible.

What's going to happen now is that the Committee is just going to say, "we gave her a chance to be heard, but she declined" and that will be the end of that.
            Since she made her therapy notes available from six years ago, they might be able to have her therapist give testimony as corroboration. The patient-doctor confidentiality veil may be lifted Ford's divulgence of those notes.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

FWIW: https://twitter.com/jaybookmanajc/st...86834284789760

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                That may be, I am just saying they have done it. At this point if I was Ford I am not sure I would want to go in from of Congress until an impartial group looked into it first. They are going to try and burn her at the stake. Hell Graham is already insinuating she is on the take (or worse) because she somehow afforded a lawyer.
                They are going to try to burn her at the stake whether the FBI (or anyone else) looks at it or not.

There is a reason lawyers typically don't want to have their clients give statements under oath when they know the client is going to be under oath at some later point in time. Pretty easy to trip up on what seems like minute details such as time, people's clothing, number of drinks, etc...
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  If she is willing to come forward and discuss it then the FBI has a bit more to go on and it makes more sense to look into it.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Here's the thing. If she's lying, if she's making it all up, why would she also say that the guy's best friend was also there in the room?

A best friend who, if it never happened, if she's making it all up, she knows will say that it never happened. If she was making it all up, she would say it was just the two of them alone in the room, no corroborating witnesses. He said, she said.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Not to defend your cousin but I worry about it too. I want the jerks to get destroyed but no one else. Plus every time someone is falsely accused it damages the movement.

Culture change is needed badly, but we need to make sure to do it the right way.
                      Of course there are degrees and I don’t think innocent people should have their lives ruined.
                      This is the cousin that you know. Rather than being concerned about terrible behavior towards women he’s only concerned about how it affects men. That’s the part that I don’t like. He doesn’t sympathize with the women who are victims, just what it does to men’s lives.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Here's the thing. If she's lying, if she's making it all up, why would she also say that the guy's best friend was also there in the room?

A best friend who, if it never happened, if she's making it all up, she knows will say that it never happened. If she was making it all up, she would say it was just the two of them alone in the room, no corroborating witnesses. He said, she said.
                        That's certainly a legitimate question to ask. Personally I think it's a mistake to try to decipher whether someone is telling the truth based upon how much or how little, or what type of detail they tell you. There are probably a hundred experts out there that will tell you that a person who is lying may give you lots of detail, or certain types of detail, in order to convince you they are telling the truth. Other experts might tell you the opposite.

If it were me, I'd be looking for corroboration that the basic facts are true. I'd ask the judge, then any other available witnesses, did the party take place? Was the judge there? Was the friend there? Was Ford there? Do these parties know each other? Were they seen together at the party? Etc...

If we get to the point that it's established they were all at this party and drinking, and even seen talking to one another, that tends to support her story, imho.

Comment

I mean I guess it's possible that she made it all up to her therapist 6 years ago just in case Kavanaugh became a SC justice...

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            I mean I guess it's possible that she made it all up to her therapist 6 years ago just in case Kavanaugh became a SC justice...
                            Clearly the Deep State recruited women who went to high school with every high-ranking conservative judge and sent them to therapists in case they had SC nominations years down the road. But they chose not to use it on Gorsuch for some reason.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Of course there are degrees and I don’t think innocent people should have their lives ruined.
                              This is the cousin that you know. Rather than being concerned about terrible behavior towards women he’s only concerned about how it affects men. That’s the part that I don’t like. He doesn’t sympathize with the women who are victims, just what it does to men’s lives.
                              Oh I knew who you were talking about .

I was just making a point he might have accidentally been right in a way
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Yeah, except for the partying that Mark Judge wrote about - he's the perfect character to plant in the scene, since he's a known, admitted partier. He can't deny that this is the type of thing that he *might* have been involved in. If he says he can't remember this specific incident, so much the better, since that just establishes that this was such a pattern that he can't even remember this one.

(I believe her, BTW - just playing devil's advocate)
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X