X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.41: We Need More Tax Cuts to pay for the Tax Cut

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Earl Warren was a rock solid conservative (as defined at the time) and his court broke segregation.

Never judge a book by its cover.
    I have read about that and the conservatives in this country have been disappointed by their appointments since Eisenhower. Fact is these guys have been vetted since Alito and Roberts and there will be no mistakes now. The 5-4 will not surprise anyone.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

A Canadian's take on our Supreme Court and the process of filling vacancies.

The way the United States chooses its judges is, by the standards of any other democracy committed to the rule of law, utterly insane. But Americans are used to it. And, watching from a distance, so are we.

Like a lot of things, we used to do it better than just about anywhere else in the world. But now it is just another thing we suck at.

eta: This is another good take on how Canada does it better.
      Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 10-07-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Like a lot of things, we used to do it better than just about anywhere else in the world. But now it is just another thing we suck at.
        Canada is just one in a long list of countries that are more desirable to live than the United States right now. The list grows every year.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Canada is just one in a long list of countries that are more desirable to live than the United States right now. The list grows every year.
          KSA?
          Vietnam?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            And now make way for the false equivalency and whataboutism brigades to make with the "If you hate it here so much why don't you move" bull5h!t. For those folks I'll get this out of the way now, EFF YOU. The height of patriotism in 2018 is NOT joining the military, it is speaking out about the abuses rampant in our current government and doing your part to vote the bad guys out on their as ses.

Comment

And now make way for the false equivalency and whataboutism brigades to make with the "If you hate it here so much why don't you move" bull5h!t. For those folks I'll get this out of the way now, EFF YOU. The height of patriotism in 2018 is NOT joining the military, it is speaking out about the abuses rampant in our current government and doing your part to vote the bad guys out on their as ses.
              That's fine. They can tell me to get out. I don't care. My care meter is out of gas anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                For someone who posts a lot of troubled and stupid things, you still manage to occasionally outdo yourself. I (and many other people here, even you if you had a shred of intellectual honesty) will be able to predict, with near absolute accuracy, every single ruling Kavanaugh will make as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
                Scooby and a lot of people yesterday outside the Capitol seem to think so.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Dissent from the "norm" is not tolerated up North. You get fined and sent to reeducation.

Sorry - I prefer Hyde Park.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I will never understand why the mainstream media puts Kellyanne Conway on the air. I don't get it.

Comment

I will never understand why the mainstream media puts Kellyanne Conway on the air. I don't get it.
                      Because the right has shifted the Overton Window of acceptable discourse to the point that the MSM now feels obligated to put her on, or else the White House will screech about "bias".

Comment

eta: This is another good take on how Canada does it better.
                        My understanding of what Canada does is that committees in each Province compile a list of judicial candidates from which the Government, which is to say, the party in power from which The Government is formed, selects a judge. So the PM, in consultation with his party, just picks the judge from the given list, and that is that.
                        That article suggests that these committees are "independent". However the committees are made up of 7 people, a rep of the bench (a judge), a rep from the bar (a lawyer) and 5 reps of the 'public'. OK, but, who selects these committee people? Oh. Turns out it's "The Government", which again, is formed from the party in power.

Why is that a superior system?
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          My understanding of what Canada does is that committees in each Province compile a list of judicial candidates from which the Government, which is to say, the party in power from which The Government is formed, selects a judge. So the PM, in consultation with his party, just picks the judge from the given list, and that is that.
                          That article suggests that these committees are "independent". However the committees are made up of 7 people, a rep of the bench (a judge), a rep from the bar (a lawyer) and 5 reps of the 'public'. OK, but, who selects these committee people? Oh. Turns out it's "The Government", which again, is formed from the party in power.

Why is that a superior system?
                          System or otherwise, the proof is in the pudding. Most educated observers believe the Canadian Court is nowhere near as polarized or partisan as the one their neighbor to the south has. In effect the majority of (or all of much of the time) of the members of their supreme court are seen as swing votes who honestly consider the merits of a case before them. Our court has devolved into just another hyper partisan "placate the side that funds me" example of why our government only functions through inertia now. This is one instance where the idea that both sides are bad actually has some truth to it, although as usual one side is much worse than the other.

Comment

Partially because the mainstream media exists anymore only as a means to turn a profit. If they report the truth and the facts, great, if they don't check with the bottom line. Are we good there? Yup, OK put Kellyanne on or show most of another trump rally.

I watched that shining example of competent journalism Wolf Blitzer a couple of days ago. He had some democratic senator on and the senator refused to get off a fence and answer a question. We need these "journalists" to all simply cut short the interview when this happens. Simply say "Senator, you've avoided answering my question now 3 times, so we're gonna end this interview and move on to the next talking head in hope we'll get some actual answers." Politicians need TV time like normal people need oxygen. At some point they would answer the questions to maintain their talking head opportunities. Sure for a while the networks would have to bite the bullet. I heard the same thing on NPR last week. Can't remember which senator it was, one of the female Democrats. Force these people to actually tell you what they think. In this regard the Democrats are FAR worse than the republicans. At least the republicans will say straight out were going to steal from working people so rich people can have another tax break. Or Mexicans are criminals and rapists. We KNOW what they think.

Comment

System or otherwise, the proof is in the pudding. Most educated observers believe the Canadian Court is nowhere near as polarized or partisan as the one their neighbor to the south has. In effect the majority of (or all of much of the time) of the members of their supreme court are seen as swing votes who honestly consider the merits of a case before them. Our court has devolved into just another hyper partisan "placate the side that funds me" example of why our government only functions through inertia now. This is one instance where the idea that both sides are bad actually has some truth to it, although as usual one side is much worse than the other.
                              That the Canadian Court is less polarized is a product of Canada being much less polarized, not, as the article states, the prescribed US process being "insane".

Population wise, Canada is bigger than TX but smaller than CA, and demographically, especially as it pertains to White Europeans, Canada would fall into the bottom 10 of US states in terms of diversity. A little more diverse than Iowa, about the same as Ohio. I don't know, but I'd guess those state courts appear less polarized than the US SC does too.

The suggestion that the US and Canada should be on a par in that regard is like asking why do New Yorkers argue so much more with each other than Nebraskans do?
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Per Deadspin, Mike Pence's stunt of walking out of a Colts' football game last year cost about $350,000.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X