This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

I am a little surprised Short hasn't gotten into a game yet. Even when Coach had a #1 in mind, the #2 generally got into an early game - especially in the non-conference games. Maybe he gets into the Northeastern game or one of the Arizona State games. It would be nice to get him some actual game action in case something should happen.

As for a gamble - we don't know how the goalies looked in practice. Drackett may have looked the best coming in, and really hasn't done anything that would merit losing the #1 spot. When there seems to be an open competition and only one person comes out of it with playing time, it says something to me that it would be more than a gamble.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      I am a little surprised Short hasn't gotten into a game yet. Even when Coach had a #1 in mind, the #2 generally got into an early game - especially in the non-conference games. Maybe he gets into the Northeastern game or one of the Arizona State games. It would be nice to get him some actual game action in case something should happen.

As for a gamble - we don't know how the goalies looked in practice. Drackett may have looked the best coming in, and really hasn't done anything that would merit losing the #1 spot. When there seems to be an open competition and only one person comes out of it with playing time, it says something to me that it would be more than a gamble.
      I was referring to last year as the gamble.
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
        I was referring to last year as the gamble.
        A sweep was needed. I agree AIC is much improved but still a team that can be swept.

Finally, they are sticking with a goalie instead of the carousel. I do not care what goalie coach is there, a goalie cannot have confidnce while playing under those conditions. How can a coach think that would work? Short/Andriano will need an opportunity at some point. Can 1 goale play every game? I am sure it is doable but should you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
          Can 1 goale play every game? I am sure it is doable but should you do that?
          Considering for most teams it's rare that they play outside of weekends, I can't think of a reason why a goalie can't play every game barring injury. When RIT went to the Frozen Four, DeMike played all but 210 minutes and it looks like he made all but 3 starts.

Should is debatable. I like having one goalie being "The guy". The #2 goalie should see a handful of games, and if the #3 gets significant work, then you have issues.

Comment

I've seen it go from one extreme to the other. Miami rotated Connor Knapp and Cody Reichard pretty much 50/50 for four years from 2008-12 and had a lot of success (and that's not the only time Rico Blasi has done that). In the other direction, Holy Cross just graduated Paul Berrafato who started 102 consecutive games over three seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
              Stated to be a sellout crowd at the GPC tonight! Couldn’t make the 2-hour drive to catch the game tonight due to local commitments, but that sure would have been nice to see.

(I’m looking at YOU, RITSportszone!!).
              It's interesting what they term a "sellout" There were clearly many many seats that went un-sold. But since thousands of GA tickets were given out, the capacity number was reached. I have no problem with letting the students in for free now and then to generate some interest and possibly increase attendance in general, but if you give the tickets away for every game the tickets no longer have any value and the novelty will wear off.
              Another note from a reserved season seat holder, they really need to do something better with respect to identifying which seats are reserved and which are GA. Every time they let the students in for free, we are surrounded by many who did not actually pay for the same seats that we have. I know the ushers get a bit overwhelmed and can't police it well, but there really is no signage or distinction between the sections. Most of these students probably have no idea they're sitting in reserved seats.
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Nice all around effort against Canisius tonight. Especially on a week night without much of a crowd in the stands. In past years this would have been just the scenario that would have resulted in a real stinker from the Tigers. Maybe this team really will be different. Hopefully they won't loose their edge with the .long down time before the next games
                John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                NCAA DII - 1983
                NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                  Nice all around effort against Canisius tonight. Especially on a week night without much of a crowd in the stands. In past years this would have been just the scenario that would have resulted in a real stinker from the Tigers. Maybe this team really will be different. Hopefully they won't loose their edge with the .long down time before the next games
                  I would say that this was the most complete game they played of these last 3. The Canisius goalie played a great game including some amazing saves. Drackett just did him one (two?) better. Getting off to a great start at home has been something has been lacking in recent years. "We must protect this house".

Luckily, the next game is a non-league game at Northeastern. While I would love for RIT to get points in that game, I think it's the kind of game you get get your edge back and if it is not enough, it doesn't hurt as bad. The Air Force games the following weekend are big.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    It's interesting what they term a "sellout" There were clearly many many seats that went un-sold. But since thousands of GA tickets were given out, the capacity number was reached. I have no problem with letting the students in for free now and then to generate some interest and possibly increase attendance in general, but if you give the tickets away for every game the tickets no longer have any value and the novelty will wear off.
                    Student prices are very cheap as it is. I think doing 4 or 5 freebies is not a big deal since if those students enjoy the game, they would be more inclined to spend a few bucks for another game. Plus, with as much as RIT costs, they should get SOMETHING for free lol.

Comment

I know it's early in the season, BUT - we have ourselves a goalie in the top-15 for GAA, and the top-10 for save %.

RIT Hockey FB Group
                      Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

...with as much as RIT costs, they should get SOMETHING for free lol.
                        Well, there is that.
                        So in many cases, the students' parents should get free tickets
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I won't be surprised if Short never sees the ice, and the team will be better for it. Andriano should be the #2 at this point, as he is the same year as Drackett and (like Drackett) has a chance to make a step forward in his skill and career. Short had plenty of chances, failed all of them, and will be gone soon.

Considering for most teams it's rare that they play outside of weekends, I can't think of a reason why a goalie can't play every game barring injury. When RIT went to the Frozen Four, DeMike played all but 210 minutes and it looks like he made all but 3 starts.

Should is debatable. I like having one goalie being "The guy". The #2 goalie should see a handful of games, and if the #3 gets significant work, then you have issues.
                          Same thing with Madolora. He rarely ceded the net once DeMike left, with the only real exceptions being the occasional OOC game or that suspension he had to serve for messing up his paperwork. Having a true #1 you can count on is a blessing we should not take lightly, as the last time it happened was Madolora and that was a long time ago indeed.
                          RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                            I won't be surprised if Short never sees the ice, and the team will be better for it. Andriano should be the #2 at this point, as he is the same year as Drackett and (like Drackett) has a chance to make a step forward in his skill and career. Short had plenty of chances, failed all of them, and will be gone soon.
                            I believe Short is #2 based on that he played the exhibition while Adriano didn't. That, and he is a senior. I don't know if failed is the right word, but he has had chances to take the reigns and could not do it.

Same thing with Madolora. He rarely ceded the net once DeMike left, with the only real exceptions being the occasional OOC game or that suspension he had to serve for messing up his paperwork. Having a true #1 you can count on is a blessing we should not take lightly, as the last time it happened was Madolora and that was a long time ago indeed.
                            I'm all for having a clear #1. The best seasons for RIT have typically had a hierarchy on the goaltenders. And RIT has had a great lineage at that position from back in the DIII days starting with Jamie Morris, Tyler Euverman, Guimond, DeMike, and Madolora.

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              Well, there is that.
                              So in many cases, the students' parents should get free tickets
                              What, you're not getting the annual stipend from the school if your kids have graduated?

You might want to look into that!
                              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

I'm all for having a clear #1. The best seasons for RIT have typically had a hierarchy on the goaltenders. And RIT has had a great lineage at that position from back in the DIII days starting with Jamie Morris, Tyler Euverman, Guimond, DeMike, and Madolora.
                                Add Chet Hallice, and Burkie to that list. Both goalies that delivered national championships.
                                John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                                AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                                AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                                NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                                NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                                NCAA DII - 1983
                                NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X