This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Officiating has seemed much improved this season, last weekend notwithstanding. But Air Force historically has seemed to get some significant home-cooking, almost as if service cadets get more benefit-of-the-doubt when it comes to penalties. Could just be confirmation bias, though.

It seems to me that AFA's biggest advantage, unless Serratore really is that good, is that all of their players are necessarily in peak physical condition and train at high elevations.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      Officiating has seemed much improved this season, last weekend notwithstanding. But Air Force historically has seemed to get some significant home-cooking, almost as if service cadets get more benefit-of-the-doubt when it comes to penalties. Could just be confirmation bias, though.

It seems to me that AFA's biggest advantage, unless Serratore really is that good, is that all of their players are necessarily in peak physical condition and train at high elevations.

Powers &8^]
      I was just thinking the same thing. Is a tremendous advantage to workout at altitude.

As far as the refs, they are just very patriotic and therefore Air Force gets lots of breaks!
      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

The weekend play was rough. Friday was bad. They could not handle the forecheck of Air Force on Friday. They came out on fire in the first period, but could not get anything past Christopolis. Then Air Force seemed to make adjustments and RIT could not get as much pressure.

Time to move on against Sacred Heart. Hopefully, they can get back in the win column.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
          I was just thinking the same thing. Is a tremendous advantage to workout at altitude.

As far as the refs, they are just very patriotic and therefore Air Force gets lots of breaks!
          I agree that because they are a service academy they may feel they deserve a break & perhaps so do the refs sometimes. Way back in our last year at the Ritter arena we were playing Army. The Army fans (parents?) were standing directly behind the RIT complimentary seats (so Tiger player’s families) & the calls were not going their way. They started getting pretty vocal & rude & yelling about how their players were giving their lives for their country. We were all like what does that have to do with this hockey game 🤔. It got so bad that I went & got a security guard who spoke to them & then told them to stand somewhere else or they would be ejected.

Comment

Originally posted by krg View Post
            I agree that because they are a service academy they may feel they deserve a break & perhaps so do the refs sometimes. Way back in our last year at the Ritter arena we were playing Army. The Army fans (parents?) were standing directly behind the RIT complimentary seats (so Tiger player’s families) & the calls were not going their way. They started getting pretty vocal & rude & yelling about how their players were giving their lives for their country. We were all like what does that have to do with this hockey game ��. It got so bad that I went & got a security guard who spoke to them & then told them to stand somewhere else or they would be ejected.
            It's interesting, but I don't think Army tends to get the same calls that Air Force does.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              Not necessarily. Yes, a huge percentage of the student bodies at Air Force, Army and Navy are American, but there are foreign nationals at the service academies. I'm not sure how exactly that works, but they are there.

The obstacles are different, so it's hard to compare. Both have significant hurdles to overcome.
              From a consistency standpoint, it is impossible to argue Coach Serratore's success since the Falcons joined AHA. Coach Wilson in about the same time has had darn good success himself. But from a night-in, night-out, year-in, year-out standpoint has not always had his guys ready to play 100% to make up for the natural cyclic nature of the talent level available.
              Interestingly enough Air Force did have a verbal commitment for this year Squad from Rob Johnson whose place of birth is Kamloops, British Columbia and as far as I can tell only has Canadian citizenship. However his name never appeared on the roster and it appears he is not in any high level leagues anymore.

For many years RIT and Air Force match up has been pretty even, except for Blue Cross. Serratore's teams have really feasted on RIT during it's present downturn and the question mark of this year, yet to be complete. Frank's team though has had their off nights and his post game pressers on those nights are the thing of legends. Air Force did have a 2-3 year down turn themselves so they are not immune, but it is very impressive how they bounced back to the take back to back Championships right after Wayne and RIT won their own back to back titles and HAD started the debate again on which was the best program. Last 2 and a half years that debate has gone silent. I do think a big difference was goaltending, since Mads they really struggled with the exception of one good year that Ruby was able to put together. And I agree that it really was inexcusable as the guys they brought in all had the resume and talent to compete, but just did not happen. There been some much needed changes in that area and it appears to be paying off, will see how the long run goes.

I still see this team as dangerous, but they have to bring it night in and night our or this debate is moot...
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                Interestingly enough Air Force did have a verbal commitment for this year Squad from Rob Johnson whose place of birth is Kamloops, British Columbia and as far as I can tell only has Canadian citizenship. However his name never appeared on the roster and it appears he is not in any high level leagues anymore.
                I know you're aware that foreigners can attend a US military academy. They can even volunteer straight up.

I met an Englishman once who had joined the U.S. Army, but was never an American citizen. His father was in the auto industry, and when the guy was a young teenager, they moved to Detroit from England as his father's job took him there (I believe he worked for Ford). So, his teen years were spent in America. Then, when he graduated high school, he decided to join the U.S. Army. Still as an English citizen.

After he served his time, he wound up moving back to England, started a business, and has lived there ever since.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  I know you're aware that foreigners can attend a US military academy. They can even volunteer straight up.

I met an Englishman once who had joined the U.S. Army, but was never an American citizen. His father was in the auto industry, and when the guy was a young teenager, they moved to Detroit from England as his father's job took him there (I believe he worked for Ford). So, his teen years were spent in America. Then, when he graduated high school, he decided to join the U.S. Army. Still as an English citizen.

After he served his time, he wound up moving back to England, started a business, and has lived there ever since.
                  Yep I am well aware and why I brought that up, just trying to help people on here who should know better, been trying to do that since I started on the board in 99... Am I old?
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Yep I am well aware and why I brought that up, just trying to help people on here who should know better, been trying to do that since I started on the board in 99... Am I old?
                    Air Force website goes back to the 06-07 roster. All of the players are American born. SOOOOOO.....either Air Force cannot recruit a foreign player for an athletic team or they do not because of choice . Maybe a foreign person can enlist or had lineage from 1 parent and had dual citizenship (just guessing) but not play on an athletic team? I looked at the Air Force Lacrosse rosters. Canada has a strong lacrosse presence as well as hockey and there were no foreign players on the lax team, back to 06-07.

Lets just agree, the recuiting pool for Air Force and Army are smaller then every other team in college hockey and they do more with less then others.

Just helping people.....

Comment

I still see this team as dangerous, but they have to bring it night in and night our or this debate is moot...
                      And that is why this past weekend was mind boggling. A good effort against a strong Northeastern squad was followed up by a couple disappointing games against Air Force. This team is good enough to get to the NCAAs and even win a game or two when they are at their best.

Hopefully, they can get back on track with Sacred Heart. While this should be 2 wins, they are more than capable of stealing points.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
                        Air Force website goes back to the 06-07 roster. All of the players are American born. SOOOOOO.....either Air Force cannot recruit a foreign player for an athletic team or they do not because of choice . Maybe a foreign person can enlist or had lineage from 1 parent and had dual citizenship (just guessing) but not play on an athletic team? I looked at the Air Force Lacrosse rosters. Canada has a strong lacrosse presence as well as hockey and there were no foreign players on the lax team, back to 06-07.

Lets just agree, the recuiting pool for Air Force and Army are smaller then every other team in college hockey and they do more with less then others.

Just helping people.....
                        It's very, very difficult for a foreigner to attend a U.S. military academy. It takes special exceptions for special reasons. So, it's probably not worth it for coaches to even attempt to go through the process no matter how good the player is, especially since there's no guarantees it will happen.

"The US military academies also have foreign soldiers that commission into their own countries’ militaries, rather than the US military. The US Military Academy at West Point has 60 foreign cadets at any time."

"Up to 60 international cadets may study at West Point at any given time. Eligible countries are selected on an annual basis by the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Department of Defense. The American embassies notify invited nations to nominate up to six candidates per country to compete for admission to West Point."

"Per Title 10 of the United States Code, the maximum number of international students at the United States Air Force Academy at any one time is 60. We admit approximately 15 international students each year. International applicants must meet the same admissions requirements as all regular applicants, however, there are differences in the application process."

"To apply for a nomination, write your country’s government. Your letter should contain complete details about your background and your potential for success at the Academy. It should be received at least one year prior to the date of admission. The Defense Attaché Office at the American Embassy can direct you to the correct ministry in your country. DO NOT apply directly to the Air Force Academy or other United States government officials."

In other words, no coach is going to bother trying to recruit a foreign player...
                        Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 12-06-2018, 03:16 PM.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

It's very, very difficult for a foreigner to attend a U.S. military academy. It takes special exceptions for special reasons. So, it's probably not worth it for coaches to even attempt to go through the process no matter how good the player is, especially since there's no guarantees it will happen.

"The US military academies also have foreign soldiers that commission into their own countries’ militaries, rather than the US military. The US Military Academy at West Point has 60 foreign cadets at any time."

"Up to 60 international cadets may study at West Point at any given time. Eligible countries are selected on an annual basis by the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Department of Defense. The American embassies notify invited nations to nominate up to six candidates per country to compete for admission to West Point."

"Per Title 10 of the United States Code, the maximum number of international students at the United States Air Force Academy at any one time is 60. We admit approximately 15 international students each year. International applicants must meet the same admissions requirements as all regular applicants, however, there are differences in the application process."

"To apply for a nomination, write your country’s government. Your letter should contain complete details about your background and your potential for success at the Academy. It should be received at least one year prior to the date of admission. The Defense Attaché Office at the American Embassy can direct you to the correct ministry in your country. DO NOT apply directly to the Air Force Academy or other United States government officials."

In other words, no coach is going to bother trying to recruit a foreign player...

7 Division I commits from the Rochester Midget team which plays out of Bill Grays Ice Complex about a mile from RIT.

http://rochestergrizzlies.com/Defaul...IES.COM#484052

Comment

For the record, the only officiating issues I have had this season involve the baffling inability to correctly use replay to wipe out an obvious non-goal. And I have issues in general with leagues being allowed to use their own referees for inter-conference home games (and I'm not sure the two aren't linked here). I mean, I still think Jablonski or whatever his name is is an atrocious official, but neither he nor any other Atlantic Hockey official is the reason RIT has lost games this year.

Last weekend RIT just got their butts kicked - any complaining about the officials, especially on Friday night, comes off as nothing more than sour grapes. I also doubt you'd be hearing as many complaints if RIT could actually score on their own power plays. What are they, 0 for their last 20 at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
                              7 Division I commits from the Rochester Midget team which plays out of Bill Grays Ice Complex about a mile from RIT.

http://rochestergrizzlies.com/Defaul...IES.COM#484052
                              What's your point? That locals should play at the local schools? I think that's an absurd assumption.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

What's your point? That locals should play at the local schools? I think that's an absurd assumption.
                                Totally agree - especially for RIT. For one, we don't know what they are planning to major in. There are majors that RIT is well known for and there are some that they aren't. Second, aside from the player going to Dartmouth, the rest are likely on athletic scholarships which RIT cannot provide (and let's not beat that dead horse again). Lastly, only 1 is going to an Atlantic Hockey rival.

It would be nice to get some of the best home grown talent. RIT has had a couple players that were home grown in the past. I'm not against going after them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least looked at by the coaching staff - whether they had a realistic shot at getting anyone is another matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X