Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
    Disappointing outcome but an enjoyable game from my perspective. I thought the game last night was a good step in the right direction. The team is doing a much better job breaking out and transitioning through the neutral zone. I didn't see the amount of dump and chase that we have seen in the past. Lekkas continues to be a force and keeps them in games. The goal was due to a lack of back checking. Obviously they are having trouble scoring goals. They need to work on a quicker release when shooting. I think that will help on the power play as well. One-time drills...
    Where can I get a pair of those? They are powerful!

*******https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ro...ip%3d0********

Comment

I just feel like there's a culture of apathy and complacency around the program. Fans are having trouble caring, students would rather watch basketball, coaches are basically saying the same thing every week, the hockey is utterly boring, it's just all blah. If it weren't for MSL getting into the Hall, would there be ANY good news about this program since, like, New Year 2017?

I wouldn't say we're Brown/SLU/RPI levels of "depressing"....but we're getting close. We're basically in that ugly spot of not bad enough to be a mockable dumpster fire or force wholesale changes, but we're also not good enough to be nationally relevant. We're just sorta...there.
      https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
        I just feel like there's a culture of apathy and complacency around the program. Fans are having trouble caring, students would rather watch basketball, coaches are basically saying the same thing every week, the hockey is utterly boring, it's just all blah. If it weren't for MSL getting into the Hall, would there be ANY good news about this program since, like, New Year 2017?

I wouldn't say we're Brown/SLU/RPI levels of "depressing"....but we're getting close. We're basically in that ugly spot of not bad enough to be a mockable dumpster fire or force wholesale changes, but we're also not good enough to be nationally relevant. We're just sorta...there.

That has essentially been the story with Sneddon his entire career here. One really good season with kids he didn't recruit other than that Hes terrible, from his practices to his preparation, to his game time decisions. He manages up better than anyone I have seen so I am afraid we are stuck with him for a while. The game has changed and he hasn't. I feel bad for any skilled forward that is here or coming here. Its like asking Degas to paint withing the lines....

Comment

Gameday...meh. Can't even pretend to be excited.

Going to the women's game tonight against #2 Minnesota at the Gutt in the championship game of our tournament. Much more worth going to. They've struggled to get results this year too, but at least they're watchable...

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Glad the boys found some goals tonight. We will see if they can build off this with the full roster back. We have one of the most exciting players in D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by gocats View Post
              Glad the boys found some goals tonight. We will see if they can build off this with the full roster back. We have one of the most exciting players in D1.
              Lekkas or Massie? Massie had some incredible hits tonight.

Comment

2 exciting players to watch. Can add a few more too....

Comment

So I didn't catch the game but...47 shots given up against Dartmouth is a bit concerning.

Comment

Havent been here in a while but even in a win still funny to see the song remains the same!! How do they expect to let up all those shots and win against anyone that is good! Lucky for Snedddyboy he put a lot of cupcakes on his schedule until the new year so he can get some wins. Pathetic tournament field they have over new years eve! Even if they got a sweep against Maine they seem like fool gold from last year...UMass will probably wupp them ....amazing what a new coach with NEW cluture does to a struggling program!! Novele Idea is it not!? Last place in league is still last place in league!

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                      So I didn't catch the game but...47 shots given up against Dartmouth is a bit concerning.
                      Happy for the guys, especially being able to score some goals, but yeah giving up 47 shots to a less than mediocre Dartmouth team is way concerning. I feel we'll know all we need to know about this team after next weekend. If they're gonna be able to seriously contend for a playoff spot, they should sweep Maine at home. Anything less, it's gonna be a long season, with the heart of HE play yet to come.

I'm a little conflicted. As an alum and longtime fan, I want these guys to win. On the other hand, I'd hate to see them finish 9th or 10th and have two or three good games that give hope for next season. That would be the recipe for no change and just more of the same. Last place in the league would almost be better.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        I'm a little conflicted. As an alum and longtime fan, I want these guys to win. On the other hand, I'd hate to see them finish 9th or 10th and have two or three good games that give hope for next season. That would be the recipe for no change and just more of the same. Last place in the league would almost be better.
                        Basically how I feel. I want to see us win, but I also want to see us make changes if they are needed.

Comment

I'm seeing them opening up the offense a little more and it makes me happy. Emphasis on taking shots. Steps in the right direction. Not too concerned about the save total. Winning programs score goals instead of focusing on blocking shots. Would like to see them not take so many penalties

Comment

I'm seeing them opening up the offense a little more and it makes me happy. Emphasis on taking shots. Steps in the right direction. Not too concerned about the save total. Winning programs score goals instead of focusing on blocking shots. Would like to see them not take so many penalties
                            Okay, let's take blocked shots out of the equation then. Unblocked shot attempts were 61-40 in favor of Dartmouth, according to CHN's numbers. (Shot attempts also include hit posts and wide shots.)

Our Fenwick For% rate [unblocked shot attempts for / (unblocked shot attempts for + unblocked shot attempts against)] is 44.9% (that is, in our games, 44.9% of unblocked shot attempts are ours). That is seventh from bottom in the nation, the teams below us: Holy Cross, RPI, UAH, the two Alaskas, and SLU, six teams that have a combined record of 11-56-5. That number is *even worse* than last year's 47.6%. If it were not for Stef Lekkas playing at an elite level, we would legitimately be one of the worst teams in the nation. (Hell even with him we aren't very good.)

When we won 20 games in 2016/17, that number was 51.3%, which was about mid pack.

When we won 22 games in 2014/15, that number was 52.1%, which was also about mid pack.

Even in 2015/16, a season where we won 15 games, that number was 52.3%, but we also had the fifth lowest shooting percentage in the nation which ultimately cost us a lot of games.

(CHN does not have data for that 2013/14 season in which we made the tournament, but I'm going to assume it was fairly consistent with the rest of the seasons that the class of 2017 had.)
                            Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 11-25-2018, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Best way to reduce the shots Lekkas has to save is to focus on puck possession.

Comment

Best way to reduce the shots Lekkas has to save is to focus on puck possession.
                                That will make Sneddon too nervous...

Comment

Working...
                                X