X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
    That will make Sneddon too nervous...
    And that is a shame, because our best teams the last few years were net-positive possession teams. I think that's where our recruiting has failed us in recent years. Too many one-dimensional defense-first defensemen. Not a bad thing to be per se, but you have to have balance and I legitimately think that outside of O'Donnell (and maybe Massie) we're really lacking guys who can move the puck.

I'm not saying guys like Evers, Long, Thomas et al are bad (they have their uses), but their skill sets overlap a lot, and it's where their deficiencies are that our blueline and team as a whole suffers.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
      And that is a shame, because our best teams the last few years were net-positive possession teams. I think that's where our recruiting has failed us in recent years. Too many one-dimensional defense-first defensemen. Not a bad thing to be per se, but you have to have balance and I legitimately think that outside of O'Donnell (and maybe Massie) we're really lacking guys who can move the puck.

I'm not saying guys like Evers, Long, Thomas et al are bad (they have their uses), but their skill sets overlap a lot, and it's where their deficiencies are that our blueline and team as a whole suffers.
      FYI, you probably saw this, but for the benefit of others, we just got a commitment from a "highly skilled" (per Ted Ryan) Quebec defense named Dylan Finley for the 2021 season. Seems like Quebec is maybe becoming a focus for recruiting now that Wallack (Mr. Western Canada) is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        FYI, you probably saw this, but for the benefit of others, we just got a commitment from a "highly skilled" (per Ted Ryan) Quebec defense named Dylan Finley for the 2021 season. Seems like Quebec is maybe becoming a focus for recruiting now that Wallack (Mr. Western Canada) is gone.
        I did see that yeah, I mentioned it on Twitter, but all the guys we've gotten to commit this year were fairly local (3 from Quebec and a Vermonter). I'm not sure if it's a sign that they slashed the recruiting budget or just us refocusing our efforts.

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

FYI, regarding Finlay:

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ec/2121453002/

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Really hoping these kids are good and like the school more than they like the current coaches because by the time they are supposed to arrive it would be nice to have a new coaching staff!!
            Quebec should be a good area to land more players that they see college is the way unless you a first or second rounder in many case but hard to take the line of "high skill" seriously....been hearing that for years and what has that brought us on the ice!! I dont see it in action during games do you?
            Hard to be excited when sold false bills of goods no matter who does the recruiting in recent year and when they wont even contribute for a while some might not even make it! No difference in how many wallyworld brought in either song still same!!

Comment

In the past many of the Quebecois didn't stay for all 4 years because of major junior pull. Of course there are exceptions, like Martin, Eric, and Torrey.
              Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
              Really hoping these kids are good and like the school more than they like the current coaches because by the time they are supposed to arrive it would be nice to have a new coaching staff!!
              Quebec should be a good area to land more players that they see college is the way unless you a first or second rounder in many case but hard to take the line of "high skill" seriously....been hearing that for years and what has that brought us on the ice!! I dont see it in action during games do you?
              Hard to be excited when sold false bills of goods no matter who does the recruiting in recent year and when they wont even contribute for a while some might not even make it! No difference in how many wallyworld brought in either song still same!!

Comment

Gameday. Predictions anyone? UVM desperately needs a sweep, but I'll go with a split: Maine 4-2 Friday; UVM 2-1 Saturday.

Comment

Sweep by UVM.

Comment

I predict totally new lines/D combinations resulting in confusion and sloppy play. Sneddy strikes again.

Comment

Fire. Sneddon.

Comment

I pretty much called that OT winner seconds before, I literally quipped in the stands "yeah, put Thomas and Long, two strong but not-quick defenders with very similar games, on the same pairing in OT, see what happens"

I like them both as players, but they're too much alike to play together...

Comment

Another defeat snatched away from the jaws of victory. UVM should just decline power plays until they learn how to release their shots quicker. Need to work on centering passes. Cowans and Puffer were amazing on the penalty kill. In general thought the team did a good job forechecking and transitioning through the neutral zone. Grant saved a goal by giving Lekkas his stick and then retrieving the goalie stick. Agree about the defensive pairings.

Comment

The good news: UVM at least looked competent this weekend.

The bad news: UVM only got one point out of it, and at this point making the HE tournament is going to be a serious uphill battle.

To add insult to injury, commit Nick Abruzzese flipped his commitment to Harvard
                            Last edited by TovarishchLisa; 12-01-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                              The good news: UVM at least looked competent this weekend.

The bad news: UVM only got one point out of it, and at this point making the HE tournament is going to be a serious uphill battle.

To add insult to injury, commit Nick Abruzzese flipped his commitment to Harvard
                              Don't misjudge competence for playing a lousy team
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Very boring weekend of hockey. This program desperately needs new leadership, and a new direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X