Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UVM 2018-19: This is so sad Alex play Esposito

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    Isn't your coach still Sneddon? If so, that seems unlikely.
    Thanks for that, NUProf. People change you know!

Comment

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
      Thanks for that, NUProf. People change you know!
      I'm aware of that, but Sneddon has been there a long time with little change in tactics. I'm a Dartmouth Alum, and Gaudette seems to suffer from the same mindset. What both coaches need to do is adapt their systems to the players they get.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
        Hoping the coaching staff can settle on stable line combinations early in the season instead of using last year's random line up generator. I think UVM should be much better on defense so maybe the offense can focus more on scoring goals and less on blocking shots.
        I hope you are wrong...

Sneddon's success has largely been when he has focused on Defensive shut down style hockey. Everytime we get some offensively talented kids, everything goes to pot.

UVM under Sneddon is good at winning 1-0, 2-1 games. If we need to score 3 goals to win we are in trouble.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

And herein lies the problem. Let's go through the teams that have consistently won 1-0 and 2-1 games year after year.

1) Cornell
          2) there is no 2

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          I hope you are wrong...

Sneddon's success has largely been when he has focused on Defensive shut down style hockey. Everytime we get some offensively talented kids, everything goes to pot.

UVM under Sneddon is good at winning 1-0, 2-1 games. If we need to score 3 goals to win we are in trouble.

Comment

Anyone else taking a shot at this?
            I don't know why, but I like this "Guess Sneddon's Line Combo" game!

Go Cats Go!

-Harry

copied from old thread

Ok,

I'll take an early crack at it....

Puffer/Lodemeier/O'Neil - some speed, some playmaking, good def forwards for top line matchups
            Alvaro/Coughlin/Espo - will keep together to catch last year sparks
            Cowens/Misley/Kaufman - some smaller quicker guys in good support for misley in pivot (who has to improve imo)
            Vlad/Cippilone/DeRoche - obviously no track record to go on, but a hunch

Massie/O'D - will play a LOT of minutes, hope they are in shape!
            Thomas/Grant - don't have a good feel foe either, but think they will make strides forward
            Evers/Long - will bring some size and depth?

Stef will play a LOT as well , I hope. Not ready to see those other guys unless a tough schedule stretch or maybe in Cat Cup

Don't make fun of these..... I have no idea what coach does even after all these years...

Go Cats Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
              And herein lies the problem. Let's go through the teams that have consistently won 1-0 and 2-1 games year after year.

1) Cornell
              2) there is no 2
              It's just not a sustainable solution, Cornell is an outlier. You can't just park the bus and expect it to work. Modern hockey is faster than ever, you need to utilize speed and skill and score goals.
              https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Amen.

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                It's just not a sustainable solution, Cornell is an outlier. You can't just park the bus and expect it to work. Modern hockey is faster than ever, you need to utilize speed and skill and score goals.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  I hope you are wrong...

Defensive shut down hockey makes sense if you don't have much talent on offense. I would argue that UVM has done pretty well recruiting offensive talent and that the scheme has misused them. Puskarich is the easiest example off the top of my head.

Comment

Lifted this from the rules thread: https://vimeo.com/283857414/b7b0869595

Overview of the rules changes and points of emphasis for the refs.

Comment

Haven't been in here in a bit so apologize if I missed something, but did Jake Massie sign with the Hawks? NHL.com says Jake Massie 21yo D from Montreal picked up an assist tonight in their preseason game. What's the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        I've been following UVM hockey since I first stepped on campus in 1983. Since then, there has ALWAYS been talk of building a shiny, new, modern facility. Although construction doesn't appear to be a problem at almost every other school that fields a D1 hockey team, a new arena has never happened at UVM, and probably won't during my lifetime. Gutterson was already refurbished once around 1988 and will be refurbished again soon, leaving us with The Gut 3.0. UVM appears able to construct plenty of new buildings, just not one that involves their signature sport. (Check that, the signature sport is probably basketball now which, ironically, will be getting a shiny, new, modern facility). UVM has been free-falling in terms of hockey relevance and, unfortunately, this ain't gonna help.
                        i like your hoops team!

Comment

Originally posted by CatClass08 View Post
                          Haven't been in here in a bit so apologize if I missed something, but did Jake Massie sign with the Hawks? NHL.com says Jake Massie 21yo D from Montreal picked up an assist tonight in their preseason game. What's the deal?
                          https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/recap-blackhawks-5-senators-2/c-300311638 I’ve scoured the net and I’m still not sure. Is that Massie in the pic?

Comment

Originally posted by CatClass08 View Post
                            He did not. Probably just punched in the wrong name. How you screw it up to the point where that name isn't even on the team, I don't know
                            https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
                            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                              Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post

1) Cornell
                              2) there is no 2

It's definitively not a good style of play... but it's Sneddon's best option.

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                                Defensive shut down hockey makes sense if you don't have much talent on offense.
                                Or if you don't know how to coach offense....

Comment

Working...
                                X