This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2018-19

Early recruitment of another goal tender could portend a number of things. Perhaps a lack of confidence in what you already have. Perhaps the thought that what you have may have the inclination to leave earlier than expected. perhaps to grab a top prospect before he ends up elsewhere. Perhaps none of the above and it is just the method this coach prefers to use to insure a steady flow and coverage of all aspects.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Curious that we're recruiting another goaltender this early, especially given our tendency in the past to recruit two and have the third walk on as a practice goalie. Makes me wonder if there's apprehension about Savory? Or is this just Coach Smith's strategy to recruit in three goalies to be ready at any time?
      Most schools don't have a walkon third goalie. That was SA's practice, and clearly isn't Coach Smith's. It is clear to me from their backgrounds however that neither Savory nor Miller is on a full athletic scholarship. Ateam can't afford to sue more than 2 scholarships ion total on goalies.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-06-2018, 11:59 AM. Reason: fixed this post since rpi82's used } instead of ]
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        My guess is that Miller is what the football programs call a recruited or priority walk-on. He was a middle of the road goalie in Junior B last season and is in his first year of Tier II at 19. That's probably a good enough track record to be a solid practice player and, who knows, he might surprise. In addition to their recruited scholarship players, football programs often bring in 5-10 players that were just below their scholarship cut-off as walk-ons in the hopes they'll add to competition in practice and 1 or 2 might even earn a scholarship in later years if they get playing tine.
        By the same token, Savory was a Jr. B goalie also. At least Miller is getting on year in on a Tier 2 Jr. A team, and as a '99 he could play another year in juniors although I would be very surprised. So, if anything, Savory seems more likely to be the #3. Then again, I suspect that the coaches will evaluate both of them in practice.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-06-2018, 11:58 AM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

FWIW, Neutral Zone has now given Miller a 3.50. He was unevaluated as of early this morning. I will change post 608.

BTW, Savory was a 3.00, which means that indeed Miller is more highly regarded, at least by NZ.

Boy, did I botch the quoting in my earlier posts and then incorrectly edited them.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-06-2018, 12:00 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Seems unlikely to me that he is for 2020. Everyone else so far including Chris Heisenberg's list has written 2019 if a year has been mentioned. We won't need a goalie in 2020 assuming that no on leaves early.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              By the same token, Savory was a Jr. B goalie also. At least Miller is getting on year in on a Tier 2 Jr. A team, and as a '99 he could play another year in juniors although I would be very surprised. So, if anything, Savory seems more likely to be the #3. Then again, I suspect that the coaches will evaluate both of them in practice.
              True, but Savory was the league's top goaltender and conference MVP while Miller was far down the list in most statistical categories. The year before Savory was also one of the top goaltenders in the league. I suspect he stayed in Junior B out of loyalty or other reasons more than a lack of talent.

Maybe Miller played hurt or behind a bad defense (although his team was middle of the road), but it seems odd that a guy who was an average junior B goalie last year would rise so much in just a handful of Tier II games. Hopefully he's found something and we got in on the ground floor of a growth stock.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Curious that we're recruiting another goaltender this early, especially given our tendency in the past to recruit two and have the third walk on as a practice goalie. Makes me wonder if there's apprehension about Savory? Or is this just Coach Smith's strategy to recruit in three goalies to be ready at any time?
                Marshall could leave after this year (he had a great showing at CHI Dev. camp this summer). It's not out of the question that he signs an offer.

So Miller comes in either to compete with Savory for the open net or the backup role. As RB indicated, neither of these guys is on a full ride.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                  True, but Savory was the league's top goaltender and conference MVP while Miller was far down the list in most statistical categories. The year before Savory was also one of the top goaltenders in the league. I suspect he stayed in Junior B out of loyalty or other reasons more than a lack of talent.

Maybe Miller played hurt or behind a bad defense (although his team was middle of the road), but it seems odd that a guy who was an average junior B goalie last year would rise so much in just a handful of Tier II games. Hopefully he's found something and we got in on the ground floor of a growth stock.
                  Last year http://gojhl-cms.wttstats.pointstrea...seasonid=17286 Savory's team, St. Catherine's had an .800 winning percentage, while Miller's, Waterloo, had a .540. That accounts for some of the difference. Of course, admittedly, it could work the other way, namely that Savory made St Cat's better. I am sure that all 3 goalies will be given a chance in practice.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    Marshall could leave after this year (he had a great showing at CHI Dev. camp this summer). It's not out of the question that he signs an offer.

So Miller comes in either to compete with Savory for the open net or the backup role. As RB indicated, neither of these guys is on a full ride.
                    It's not out of the question that he will leave, but I expect him to return next year.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Seems unlikely to me that he is for 2020. Everyone else so far including Chris Heisenberg's list has written 2019 if a year has been mentioned. We won't need a goalie in 2020 assuming that no on leaves early.
                      Are they assuming Perry's going to go again? I thought this was his last year...

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

True, but I don't think he's playing so out of his mind that it would be this year. End of next year's certainly possible if he does well. And if he were to go, we'd need two coming in. I checked CHS, and this is indeed the last year that Chase Perry can play, so we need at least one restock there.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          True, but I don't think he's playing so out of his mind that it would be this year. End of next year's certainly possible if he does well. And if he were to go, we'd need two coming in. I checked CHS, and this is indeed the last year that Chase Perry can play, so we need at least one restock there.
                          Correct. This is definitely Perry's last year.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Still awaiting a total of 5 box scores for Mike Cameron and Christian Sarlo over the weekend.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I still think that he will arrive in 2019.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I still think that he will arrive in 2019.

First time in a while we've had a goalie catch right; could throw off some of the opposition.

Comment

Working...
                                X