Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

Week 6 Pick ‘Em

Saturday October 6th

#19 Texas vs. #7 Oklahoma
    Boston College at #23 N.C. State
    #5 LSU at #22 Florida
    Arizona State at #21 Colorado
    #13 Kentucky at Texas A&M
    #8 Auburn at Mississippi State
    #6 Notre Dame at Virginia Tech
    Utah at #14 Stanford
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

#5 LSU at #22 Florida
      Utah at #14 Stanford
      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
      Groucho Marx
      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
      Ron White
      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
      Milo Bloom

Comment

#5 LSU at #22 Florida
        Utah at #14 Stanford
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

#5 LSU at #22 Florida
          Utah at #14 Stanford

Comment

• #19 Texas vs. #7 Oklahoma
            #5 LSU at #22 Florida
            Utah at #14 Stanford
            AF 99

Comment

#5 LSU at #22 Florida
              Utah at #14 Stanford
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Can someone explain what's going on at Clemson? I see that the first starter left last week- but i don't understand 1) how, and 2) because 1 why? Can students transfer before a time on the schedule now?? If that is yes, then my second question is explained by the sulking kid who lost his position.

And I do really understand that "sulking" isn't the right phrase- but it is the one we all see and think when we see a top player lose his position and immediately leave. It could be some other conflict on the team, or some other reason the player does not like the school that he's playing for, or something.

But Bryant- that makes no sense, as he took Clemson to the playoffs, playing really well last year. This seems pretty odd, and on the surface, weak. Based on that, I'd be very cautious as an NFL exec to take him.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Can someone explain what's going on at Clemson? I see that the first starter left last week- but i don't understand 1) how, and 2) because 1 why? Can students transfer before a time on the schedule now?? If that is yes, then my second question is explained by the sulking kid who lost his position.

And I do really understand that "sulking" isn't the right phrase- but it is the one we all see and think when we see a top player lose his position and immediately leave. It could be some other conflict on the team, or some other reason the player does not like the school that he's playing for, or something.

But Bryant- that makes no sense, as he took Clemson to the playoffs, playing really well last year. This seems pretty odd, and on the surface, weak. Based on that, I'd be very cautious as an NFL exec to take him.
                  Players can now play in 4 games before it counts as a season.

Bryant played in 4 games. He was the starter, but split time with Hunter Lawrence (the top QB in the most recent class). Lawrence outplayed Bryant, so Dabo benched Bryant in favor of Lawrence. After getting benched, Bryant decided he would sit out the rest of the season, maintain this year of eligibility, and then transfer to a new school. Had he played in a 5th game, he would have exhausted his eligibility.

As for why Bryant left, I think he thought he would have no chance at making any impression on NFL scouts if he wasn't playing. Thus, in order to salvage any chance he might have at the big show, he decided to transfer. At least, that is my take on it.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Players can now play in 4 games before it counts as a season.

Bryant played in 4 games. He was the starter, but split time with Hunter Lawrence (the top QB in the most recent class). Lawrence outplayed Bryant, so Dabo benched Bryant in favor of Lawrence. After getting benched, Bryant decided he would sit out the rest of the season, maintain this year of eligibility, and then transfer to a new school. Had he played in a 5th game, he would have exhausted his eligibility.

As for why Bryant left, I think he thought he would have no chance at making any impression on NFL scouts if he wasn't playing. Thus, in order to salvage any chance he might have at the big show, he decided to transfer. At least, that is my take on it.
                    For injuries, that makes sense- so IF you have a spare year, you can use it. I'm not sure it's a great idea just to transfer, especially for a senior- as you can always go to grad school at a different school if you have eligibility left. But they are not my rules.

As for this situation- it's interesting that he doesn't think he could have played his way back into the lineup. Again, bailing at this point would say something to me if I were in the NFL.

Comment

Oklahoma is going to be looking for a new defensive coordinator this winter
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        ..He was the starter, but split time with Hunter Lawrence ...

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        For injuries, that makes sense- so IF you have a spare year, you can use it. I'm not sure it's a great idea just to transfer, especially for a senior- as you can always go to grad school at a different school if you have eligibility left. But they are not my rules.

As for this situation- it's interesting that he doesn't think he could have played his way back into the lineup. Again, bailing at this point would say something to me if I were in the NFL.
                        BTW, it's Trevor Lawrence. Hunter Johnson is the Clemson QB who transferred last summer because he was behind Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence. Zerrick Cooper is the guy who transferred because he was behind Kelly Bryant and Hunter Johnson and would have been behind Trevor Lawrence. Chase Brice is the guy who stayed around and became f folk hero. Whew!

I think that Bryant got some bad advice. He's a very good college quarterback in a option offense, but I truly doubt that he's pro quarterback material. He's a better runner than Lawrence, but not a particularly good passer. If he had stayed at Clemson, he probably would have gotten significant playing time, and a shot at a national title game. As it is, he'll probably go to a team that features the QB as a runner, which NFL teams avoid. He probably won't have as much talent around him, and he'll only have one year to establish himself.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                          BTW, it's Trevor Lawrence. Hunter Johnson is the Clemson QB who transferred last summer because he was behind Kelly Bryant and Trevor Lawrence. Zerrick Cooper is the guy who transferred because he was behind Kelly Bryant and Hunter Johnson and would have been behind Trevor Lawrence. Chase Brice is the guy who stayed around and became f folk hero. Whew!

I think that Bryant got some bad advice. He's a very good college quarterback in a option offense, but I truly doubt that he's pro quarterback material. He's a better runner than Lawrence, but not a particularly good passer. If he had stayed at Clemson, he probably would have gotten significant playing time, and a shot at a national title game. As it is, he'll probably go to a team that features the QB as a runner, which NFL teams avoid. He probably won't have as much talent around him, and he'll only have one year to establish himself.
                          Thanks for the correction...brain lapse there.

Hunter Johnson and Kelly Bryant had a QB competition during the spring last year as for who would take over for Watson. Kelly Bryant won, and, as you already mentioned, Hunter Johnson transferred to Northwestern.

So long as Trevor Lawrence is as good as Watson and wins at least one title, I'll be happy.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            Oklahoma is going to be looking for a new defensive coordinator this week
                            Fixed.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I am currently leading the gophers in receiving yards after two drives.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

2018 Pick ‘Em Standings

busterman62 28-20 (4-4)
                                MavHockey14 28-20 (4-4)
                                bronconick 27-21 (5-3)
                                jerphisch 25-23 (4-4)
                                Spartanforlife4 22-26 (2-6)
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X