Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team!

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    What we are watching now is definitely not your daddy's Nebraska.
    Fire Frost!
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Re: College Football 2018-19: We Want Mugs, Pugs, Thugs... AND METHODISTS on our team

The Bayou Bengals. 3-0, 2 of those wins over(at the time)Top 10 teams.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    What we are watching now is definitely not your daddy's Nebraska.
    Either Frost is overrated, Nebraska is not as attractive as Central Florida, or the hole the previous coach dug was pretty darned deep. They look really bad.

And what about Maryland? Have two great games only to get beaten up by Temple??

I'm worth a million in prizes

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Either Frost is overrated, Nebraska is not as attractive as Central Florida, or the hole the previous coach dug was pretty darned deep.
    The correct answer is: YES
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

They’ve got one scholarship QB on the roster. He was injured and did not play last week. Their defense has more issues than Time Magazine. They’re going to be a mess for a couple years.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Gameday will be in Eugene for Stanford@Oregon.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Gameday will be in Eugene for Stanford@Oregon.
    Thanks a lot Wisconsin...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    They’ve got one scholarship QB on the roster. He was injured and did not play last week. Their defense has more issues than Time Magazine. They’re going to be a mess for a couple years.
    They’ve been so bad on the line of scrimmage since they joined the B1G.

Scott should be able to recruit, but quite honesty, Nebraska has been fine in recruiting — they’ve really struggled developing their line of scrimmage

Orlando is quite the place to recruit to, and the “lower hanging fruit” there is crazy athletes and an easy sell..

Frost’s offense is quick hitting and meant to overcome marginal offensive line play, but they need serious growth there still.

Defensively, I’m going to be very interested to see if Frost can get that turned around — even last year at UCF his defense wasn’t very good.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

That awesome fake fair catch punt return TD we saw from North Texas last Saturday?

The NCAA wants to ban it.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Lucia Apologist

The words “fair catch punt return TD” indicates to me it probably should be banned.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The words “fair catch punt return TD” indicates to me it probably should be banned.
    I just watched it- it wasn't a fair catch. He didn't move when he caught the ball, and the ref didn't blow the whistle. And for sure, he never signaled for a fair catch.

If he did signal, then it would have been a delay of game penalty for running off.

Should not be banned- it should have been a lesson to pay attention, and play until the whistle.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I just watched it- it wasn't a fair catch. He didn't move when he caught the ball, and the ref didn't blow the whistle. And for sure, he never signaled for a fair catch.

If he did signal, then it would have been a delay of game penalty for running off.

Should not be banned- it should have been a lesson to pay attention, and play until the whistle.
    The thing that is bugging the NCAA is that they are afraid of someone getting absolutely smoked when trying this again. The game as a whole, at all levels, is trying to downplay "the big hit" and this type of play is just begging for one to happen (legal or not).

This play worked because the N. Texas player had the balls to catch the ball and then just bounce like he normally does with the coverage closing in. He exploited the fact that the coverage has become accustomed to pulling up in a scenario like this (R will almost never attempt a return here. They will let the ball bounce or take a Fair Catch the other 99 times). That is why the play worked. The NCAA doesn't want to see a regression in the process of removing "the big hit".
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    The thing that is bugging the NCAA is that they are afraid of someone getting absolutely smoked when trying this again. The game as a whole, at all levels, is trying to downplay "the big hit" and this type of play is just begging for one to happen (legal or not).

This play worked because the N. Texas player had the balls to catch the ball and then just bounce like he normally does with the coverage closing in. He exploited the fact that the coverage has become accustomed to pulling up in a scenario like this (R will almost never attempt a return here. They will let the ball bounce or take a Fair Catch the other 99 times). That is why the play worked. The NCAA doesn't want to see a regression in the process of removing "the big hit".
    This. And I 100% agree with it. I don’t need to see young men killing themselves on the field. I hated this play so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    This. And I 100% agree with it. I don’t need to see young men killing themselves on the field. I hated this play so much.
    Maybe football isn't a sport for you.

Lucia Apologist

Yeah, that must be it.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Maybe football isn't a sport for you.
    The problem is that this play works because it exploits the fact that the defenders are no longer trying to kill you. This play flat out doesn't work in the 80's, 90's or early 2000's.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Just a boring user.

In theory, sure- but you can also put in a rule that you should just grab the guy, and you are done. I get the risk of "the big hit"- but the one who is risking that is the receiver, pretending that it's a fair catch. On top of that- "the big hit" was very much prevented by the acting- the defenders pulled up (which they have to anyway- the receiver needs clear access to catch the ball), so their speed was basically at a standstill.

BTW, how do you enforce such a rule? If you don't take a step withing a time period, it's then a free catch?

Just a boring user.

The problem is that this play works because it exploits the fact that the defenders are no longer trying to kill you. This play flat out doesn't work in the 80's, 90's or early 2000's.
    One should note that in this specific instance, they could not have done that anyway, as the defenders got to the receiver before the ball did. If they hit him hard, that would have been an easy 15 + ejection for hitting a defenseless player.

Week 4 Pick ‘Em

Saturday September 22nd

Minnesota at Maryland
    Pittsburgh at North Carolina
    Louisville at Virginia
    South Carolina at Vanderbilt
    #17 TCU at Texas
    Florida at Tennessee
    #7 Stanford at #20 Oregon
    #18 Wisconsin at Iowa

Sorry, busy week — will update standings after this weekend.

Saturday September 22nd

Minnesota at Maryland
    Pittsburgh at North Carolina
    Louisville at Virginia
    South Carolina at Vanderbilt
    #17 TCU at Texas
    Florida at Tennessee
    #7 Stanford at #20 Oregon
    #18 Wisconsin at Iowa

Thread Information