Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3

    Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Here is a link to a research paper about the demographics of women's hockey in North America ...

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...spective<br />

    - Doc



    Abstract

    The demographics of women's ice hockey played in North America can be explored in
    many ways by categorizing several of its attributes that describe who plays hockey, where they
    play it and how many people are involved. Hand in hand with these questions is the analysis of
    game score data that uses the science and mathematics of rating systems to create ranking
    profiles of teams contained in these leagues. This study performed a North American-wide
    adjustment of women's and girls competitive hockey teams ranging from professionals,
    university varsity and college clubs, juniors and tiered clubs (CAN/AM 20U, 19U, 17U and
    16U), hockey academies, prep schools, and secondary high schools in both Canada and the
    United States. In total, there were 2,104 teams included in the network that accounted for more
    than 29,000 games which had scores published on various league web sites. To examine the
    various levels of hockey across North America trend lines of the rating values were plotted
    which in essence captures the competitive gradient from top to bottom within any particular
    league of interest. The real significance and power behind this data set is that it gives the
    governing bodies of hockey a snap-shot in time with respect to how their particular leagues rate
    against their peers and competitors. The same analyses performed on a yearly basis provides a
    time-series perspective which could indicate whether or not organizational objectives and goals
    are being met over the long term.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    192

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by LSQRank View Post
    Here is a link to a research paper about the demographics of women's hockey in North America ...

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...spective<br />

    - Doc



    Abstract

    The demographics of women's ice hockey played in North America can be explored in
    many ways by categorizing several of its attributes that describe who plays hockey, where they
    play it and how many people are involved. Hand in hand with these questions is the analysis of
    game score data that uses the science and mathematics of rating systems to create ranking
    profiles of teams contained in these leagues. This study performed a North American-wide
    adjustment of women's and girls competitive hockey teams ranging from professionals,
    university varsity and college clubs, juniors and tiered clubs (CAN/AM 20U, 19U, 17U and
    16U), hockey academies, prep schools, and secondary high schools in both Canada and the
    United States. In total, there were 2,104 teams included in the network that accounted for more
    than 29,000 games which had scores published on various league web sites. To examine the
    various levels of hockey across North America trend lines of the rating values were plotted
    which in essence captures the competitive gradient from top to bottom within any particular
    league of interest. The real significance and power behind this data set is that it gives the
    governing bodies of hockey a snap-shot in time with respect to how their particular leagues rate
    against their peers and competitors. The same analyses performed on a yearly basis provides a
    time-series perspective which could indicate whether or not organizational objectives and goals
    are being met over the long term.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/6DtPiMjTKv3pu/html5

  3. #3
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,807

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by LSQRank View Post
    Here is a link to a research paper about the demographics of women's hockey in North America ...

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...spective<br />

    - Doc



    Abstract

    The demographics of women's ice hockey played in North America can be explored in
    many ways by categorizing several of its attributes that describe who plays hockey, where they
    play it and how many people are involved. Hand in hand with these questions is the analysis of
    game score data that uses the science and mathematics of rating systems to create ranking
    profiles of teams contained in these leagues. This study performed a North American-wide
    adjustment of women's and girls competitive hockey teams ranging from professionals,
    university varsity and college clubs, juniors and tiered clubs (CAN/AM 20U, 19U, 17U and
    16U), hockey academies, prep schools, and secondary high schools in both Canada and the
    United States. In total, there were 2,104 teams included in the network that accounted for more
    than 29,000 games which had scores published on various league web sites. To examine the
    various levels of hockey across North America trend lines of the rating values were plotted
    which in essence captures the competitive gradient from top to bottom within any particular
    league of interest. The real significance and power behind this data set is that it gives the
    governing bodies of hockey a snap-shot in time with respect to how their particular leagues rate
    against their peers and competitors. The same analyses performed on a yearly basis provides a
    time-series perspective which could indicate whether or not organizational objectives and goals
    are being met over the long term.
    I thought the Board had control of those pesky North Korean Spam attacks. Haha.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    192

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Semi-serious off-season doldrums question of the day:

    If you take a suitably naÔve understanding of demographics and mix it with scholarships and terroir (French for the kind of ice you grow up with), who would lay serious money on a non-WCHA team other than Clarkson or BC winning it all in the next umpteen years?
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 08-14-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: doldrums head

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    274

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    Semi-serious off-season doldrums question of the day:

    If you take a suitably naÔve understanding of demographics and mix it with scholarships and terroir (French for the kind of ice you grow up with), who would lay serious money on a non-WCHA team other than Clarkson or BC winning it all in the next umpteen years?
    This is not a non-WCHA example, but UND jumped from the basement to coming within a 3-OT loss to the unbeaten Gophers of advancing to the Frozen Four. The difference was a couple of Lam sisters.

    No reason some other school couldn't have a couple of elite players drop onto their roster and turn things around.

    I looked around for some recent statistics to see if UND has maintained their progress, but I was unable to find any.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,088

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    Semi-serious off-season doldrums question of the day:

    If you take a suitably naÔve understanding of demographics and mix it with scholarships and terroir (French for the kind of ice you grow up with), who would lay serious money on a non-WCHA team other than Clarkson or BC winning it all in the next umpteen years?
    Stock in toothpaste seems like it could be a good investment.
    Light the Darkness "17"

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Stock in toothpaste seems like it could be a good investment.
    I like Colgateís Crest.
    Last edited by Genbeau; 08-14-2018 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    274

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Stock in toothpaste seems like it could be a good investment.
    One could Gleem that information from recent results.

  9. #9
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,460

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    You don't have to be Ultra Brite or even see them Close Up to know that a lot of teams will be pasted by the Raiders.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,088

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    One could Gleem that information from recent results.
    Speaking of information from recent results...How's your search for UND's recent statistics going so that you could copy and paste those here? Or have you brushed that off as a non-sequitur?
    Light the Darkness "17"

  11. #11
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Demographics of Women's Hockey viewed from a Ratings Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    a lot of teams will be pasted by the Raiders.
    OK this one was good

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    You don't have to be Ultra Brite or even see them Close Up to know that a lot of teams will be pasted by the Raiders.
    My "cap" is off to you...this one is my favorite paste, er uh, post. The question is, how well have they filled the cavities created by the graduation of last season's seniors?! Will the team be good enough to be doing a celebratory dance such as the floss at the end of this season?! Who the h-e-double-toothpicks knows?!
    Last edited by shelfit; 08-14-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •