Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: So you want to play in the ECHL..

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,640

    So you want to play in the ECHL..

    For love of the game..

    @EchlStats: ECHL has a new 5 year (7/1/18 - 6/30/23) Collective Bargaining Agreement. New salary cap numbers. Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.

    Salary Cap (weekly)
    18-19: $13,000
    19-20: $13,300
    20-21: $13,600
    21-22: $13,900
    22-23: $14,100

  2. #2
    Mighty Techster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    405
    Last edited by redwing61; 08-06-2018 at 01:42 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,359

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    For love of the game..

    @EchlStats: ECHL has a new 5 year (7/1/18 - 6/30/23) Collective Bargaining Agreement. New salary cap numbers. Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.

    Salary Cap (weekly)
    18-19: $13,000
    19-20: $13,300
    20-21: $13,600
    21-22: $13,900
    22-23: $14,100
    it's more than I made my first year out of college.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    it's more than I made my first year out of college.
    1978 - $50/day working for my Dad
    1979 - $15,920 / yr (GS-9)

  5. #5
    2016 Hockey East Overlords
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    480

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    Do we need to have a quick lesson in inflation?

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    117

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    For love of the game..

    @EchlStats: ECHL has a new 5 year (7/1/18 - 6/30/23) Collective Bargaining Agreement. New salary cap numbers. Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.

    Salary Cap (weekly)
    18-19: $13,000
    19-20: $13,300
    20-21: $13,600
    21-22: $13,900
    22-23: $14,100
    A player in 2018/2019 is average $650 per week, based upon a season or on 52 weeks total? I assume US dollars.
    Last edited by Blitz; 08-26-2018 at 09:01 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    A player in 2018/2019 is average $650 per week, based upon a season or on 52 weeks total? I assume US dollars.
    You don't get paid in the off season

  8. #8
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,502
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    You don't get paid in the off season
    You don't get salary for playoffs, either, iirc. Bonus at the end, but no weekly pay.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    117

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    - Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.
    - You don't get paid in the off season (ECHL 1st reg league game Oct 12, last reg game April 7...~26 weeks.
    - You don't get salary for playoffs, either, iirc. Bonus at the end, but no weekly pay.

    Doesn't leave much...$650/wk x 26 weeks = $16,900 US.

    ECHL i believe provides accommodation, is this free or charged back? Once the season is over i assume players have to pay to remain in housing or find alternative housing? Read an article where single players usually get shared accommodation in houses whereas some married players might get an apartment.

    Seems like a mighty tough way to make a living, Europe might be the better choice for many of these kids or like most coming from NCAA put that degree to use after a maximum of a couple of years at most.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Seems like a mighty tough way to make a living, Europe might be the better choice for many of these kids or like most coming from NCAA put that degree to use after a maximum of a couple of years at most.
    How many players have "real" jobs to supplement that income?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mingya Valley
    Posts
    171

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    How many players have "real" jobs to supplement that income?
    I can imagine most of them work Summer Camps to supplement their income. I wouldn't be surprised to find out those have better "weekly" pay than their ECHL salary
    Tully Rink Rat & UML Class of 09

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
    I can imagine most of them work Summer Camps to supplement their income. I wouldn't be surprised to find out those have better "weekly" pay than their ECHL salary
    Career minor leaguer Kory Karlander operated a lawn care business in the summer.

  13. #13
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,502

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    Here's the thing. The ECHL isn't meant to be a 'career' league. Sure, some players play a relatively lengthy career in the coast, but the vast majority only get a few years to try to find an opportunity to move to the AHL (or Europe) and make some decent money.

    There's a pretty nice list of guys who began their career in the ECHL and made it to the NHL, some having quite successful careers. Recently off the top of my head would be Rich Peverley, Yanni Gourde, I'm sure there's atleast a handful of others. I think I appreciate those guys more, only because of the incredible grind it took them.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Somewhere East of the Mississippi
    Posts
    124

    Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

    Typically the guys I know that play in the ECHL/SPHL don't have true summer jobs. Most come home and live with their parents or friends, or girlfriend in the city they play for. If these guys have no school debt from earning athletic scholarships or come straight from major junior they have no financial burden and can live relatively stable lives during the summer. Don't forget that they get a per diem durning the season for food, so if they're inclined it is possible to save money. Some guys also help out with youth clinics and pull in a few hundred a week from that. I know of other guys that caddied, worked at bars every so often as well.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by d3hockey57 View Post
    Typically the guys I know that play in the ECHL/SPHL don't have true summer jobs. Most come home and live with their parents or friends, or girlfriend in the city they play for. If these guys have no school debt from earning athletic scholarships or come straight from major junior they have no financial burden and can live relatively stable lives during the summer. Don't forget that they get a per diem durning the season for food, so if they're inclined it is possible to save money. Some guys also help out with youth clinics and pull in a few hundred a week from that. I know of other guys that caddied, worked at bars every so often as well.
    They get per diem on the road trips. And the per diem is broken down per meal. If you leave on a trip after 9 am, you donít get breakfast money, after 12 or 1, you dont get lunch money. Per diem is around $35 something like $8 for breakfast $12 for lunch $15 for dinner. When I first worked in the league, it was only $21 ($5-7-9).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •