Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to play in the ECHL..

For love of the game..

@EchlStats: ECHL has a new 5 year (7/1/18 - 6/30/23) Collective Bargaining Agreement. New salary cap numbers. Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.

Salary Cap (weekly)
    18-19: $13,000
    19-20: $13,300
    20-21: $13,600
    21-22: $13,900
    22-23: $14,100
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

In One: My Four Wild Days Trapped in Minor-League Hell with the Brampton Beast
    Last edited by redwing61; 08-06-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Re: So you want to play in the ECHL..

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      For love of the game..

@EchlStats: ECHL has a new 5 year (7/1/18 - 6/30/23) Collective Bargaining Agreement. New salary cap numbers. Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.

Salary Cap (weekly)
      it's more than I made my first year out of college.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        it's more than I made my first year out of college.
        1978 - $50/day working for my Dad
        1979 - $15,920 / yr (GS-9)
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Do we need to have a quick lesson in inflation?

Comment

For love of the game..

Salary Cap (weekly)
            A player in 2018/2019 is average $650 per week, based upon a season or on 52 weeks total? I assume US dollars.
            Last edited by Blitz; 08-26-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
              A player in 2018/2019 is average $650 per week, based upon a season or on 52 weeks total? I assume US dollars.
              You don't get paid in the off season
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You don't get paid in the off season
                You don't get salary for playoffs, either, iirc. Bonus at the end, but no weekly pay.

Comment

- Average weekly salary (based on 20 players) goes from $650 in 18-19 to $705 in 22-23.
                  - You don't get paid in the off season (ECHL 1st reg league game Oct 12, last reg game April 7...~26 weeks.
                  - You don't get salary for playoffs, either, iirc. Bonus at the end, but no weekly pay.

Doesn't leave much...$650/wk x 26 weeks = $16,900 US.

ECHL i believe provides accommodation, is this free or charged back? Once the season is over i assume players have to pay to remain in housing or find alternative housing? Read an article where single players usually get shared accommodation in houses whereas some married players might get an apartment.

Seems like a mighty tough way to make a living, Europe might be the better choice for many of these kids or like most coming from NCAA put that degree to use after a maximum of a couple of years at most.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                    Seems like a mighty tough way to make a living, Europe might be the better choice for many of these kids or like most coming from NCAA put that degree to use after a maximum of a couple of years at most.
                    How many players have "real" jobs to supplement that income?

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                      How many players have "real" jobs to supplement that income?
                      I can imagine most of them work Summer Camps to supplement their income. I wouldn't be surprised to find out those have better "weekly" pay than their ECHL salary
                      Tully Rink Rat
                      Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                      Youngstar
                      UML Class of 09

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
                        I can imagine most of them work Summer Camps to supplement their income. I wouldn't be surprised to find out those have better "weekly" pay than their ECHL salary
                        Career minor leaguer Kory Karlander operated a lawn care business in the summer.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Here's the thing. The ECHL isn't meant to be a 'career' league. Sure, some players play a relatively lengthy career in the coast, but the vast majority only get a few years to try to find an opportunity to move to the AHL (or Europe) and make some decent money.

There's a pretty nice list of guys who began their career in the ECHL and made it to the NHL, some having quite successful careers. Recently off the top of my head would be Rich Peverley, Yanni Gourde, I'm sure there's atleast a handful of others. I think I appreciate those guys more, only because of the incredible grind it took them.

Comment

Typically the guys I know that play in the ECHL/SPHL don't have true summer jobs. Most come home and live with their parents or friends, or girlfriend in the city they play for. If these guys have no school debt from earning athletic scholarships or come straight from major junior they have no financial burden and can live relatively stable lives during the summer. Don't forget that they get a per diem durning the season for food, so if they're inclined it is possible to save money. Some guys also help out with youth clinics and pull in a few hundred a week from that. I know of other guys that caddied, worked at bars every so often as well.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                              Typically the guys I know that play in the ECHL/SPHL don't have true summer jobs. Most come home and live with their parents or friends, or girlfriend in the city they play for. If these guys have no school debt from earning athletic scholarships or come straight from major junior they have no financial burden and can live relatively stable lives during the summer. Don't forget that they get a per diem durning the season for food, so if they're inclined it is possible to save money. Some guys also help out with youth clinics and pull in a few hundred a week from that. I know of other guys that caddied, worked at bars every so often as well.
                              They get per diem on the road trips. And the per diem is broken down per meal. If you leave on a trip after 9 am, you don’t get breakfast money, after 12 or 1, you dont get lunch money. Per diem is around $35 something like $8 for breakfast $12 for lunch $15 for dinner. When I first worked in the league, it was only $21 ($5-7-9).
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                              X