X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I note that UW isn't on the list of other schools considered. To bring in Rowe next year means that you'd have to jettison Berry or Lebedeff. I don't think you really want to dump Jack at this point, and clearly the staff sees something they like in Lebedeff. Right now they've got Grannan lined up to replace Jack after next year, so maybe they feel ok with where they're at in goal for the time being? Cam York is still the real sweepstakes prize and the Badgers would have a place for him next year if they wanted to make one. Make it happen!
    I think they can have room if they wanted to have room for another goalie. If Rowe or whoever can beat out the existing guys, that is fine with me. Mark Johnson has 4 goalies on the books who would be starting for any D1 school right now. MJ didn't "need" Campbell, but when she became available, they brought her into the fold. May the best guy on the roster play.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Interview with Alex Turcotte on The Pipeline Show: https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show...turcotte-oct18

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I think they can have room if they wanted to have room for another goalie. If Rowe or whoever can beat out the existing guys, that is fine with me. Mark Johnson has 4 goalies on the books who would be starting for any D1 school right now. MJ didn't "need" Campbell, but when she became available, they brought her into the fold. May the best guy on the roster play.
        They could have 5 goalies if they all want to pay their own way. I get what you're saying but recruiting on the men's side is vastly different landscape than on the women's where there's maybe 3-4 programs that could possibly compete with the Badger experience of going to the FF every year and playing with some of the best players in the world. The men's side isn't, and probably never will be again, in the same situation as the women are right now, no matter how much they win. Too much parity. On the men's side currently there are 20 programs at least that can make pretty competitive offers including full rides. If you could get an actual bonafide D-1 starting goalie to turn down a full D-1 ride and come in and pay their own way to be the 3rd goalie on the team it would be quite an accomplishment in men's hockey.

So yes, if you pulled a scholarship from a guy like Berry to make room for a possible upgrade, you can do it, but it's not really a very good long term practice in terms of kids you're offering having confidence that you are going to have their back while they work to develop further. Nor are we sure it's a good idea to jettison a decent kid for a supposed superstar. We just did it last year and I likely would have done it too, but I'm not convinced we are better off at all for having done it.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Did anyone else see the INSANELY AWESOME recruit tracker Todd D has set up? It's is crazy awesome, that guy should get an award for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Did anyone else see the INSANELY AWESOME recruit tracker Todd D has set up? It's is crazy awesome, that guy should get an award for that.
            It's not bad. Wish it was able to be sorted or organized by year that they are going to enroll.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
              It's not bad. Wish it was able to be sorted or organized by year that they are going to enroll.
              Combine his with gwhinwi and you have a real gem.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                Combine his with gwhinwi and you have a real gem.
                I have to give partial credit for mine to Chuck. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have even had a format.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                  I have to give partial credit for mine to Chuck. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have even had a format.
                  I miss his input. Once and a while I see him lurking in the threads.....
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    I miss his input. Once and a while I see him lurking in the threads.....
                    I’ve gotten a DM or two on twitter after some of my choice inputs.

Good man, well missed around these parts, but rules are rules as it concerns his job.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Good man, well missed around these parts
                      Without a doubt. Would be in the USCHO board HOF, in my book.

Comment

It's just over two weeks until the early signing period opens up, which raises some questions as to how the Badgers will proceed. With Seamus, Tischke, Johnson, Freytag, Zirbel, and Bunz graduating plus Ranta not coming in, I'd think the Badgers could ink up to 5 players on max scholarships, or perhaps more with some partial rides. Obviously they want to sign Turcotte and Caufield right away, but after that there are questions. Personally I think Owen Lindmark will be signed as well. If Aleksi Peltonen is coming in, it would seem to be next year as he turns 21 in June, although I'd think he's on a minimum deal. After that there are 5 more F's that could be eligible to sign, De Saint Phalle is probably the flashiest of the group that includes Almquist, Stevens, Bohlin, and Helgeson. So that totals 9 F's eligible for what is likely to be six total spots. I think 3 are taken by the NTDP guys, leaving 3 for the remaining 6. Question is do they sign any now or wait until spring to see who develops the best over the year? And if they do wait on some of these guys, do they risk a situation like with Cruikshank, where a good player looks elsewhere when he isn't offered in the early signing period?

On D it's almost a certainty that they have to bring in two. That could easily turn into 3 or 4 depending on Kalynuk's and Miller's year. If Kalynuk has a great year, it may very well be his last, and Miller, as a 1st round pick, is going to be at risk to sign no matter how his year goes. La Master has yet to play a USHL game as he's been injured, (don't know the details) and Vorlicky will be playing he senior year at Edina. Brady Smith is a good albeit undersized player, but at the higher levels he's struggled to show any of the dominant offensive talent he displayed as a Bantam. So do they ink any of these guys early? I don't know. Still begging for Cam York as he would be a perfect fit for the Badgers situation. No idea if we're even in the running though.

So this is the situation: 5 full scholarships at least, 3 I think will probably go to the NTDP players, but what will they do with the others? Sit and wait, or lock in a few of the remaining 12 options, and if so, which ones?
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• How about some right handed defensemen? Those would sure be nice to have.

Comment

sounds like a mess. Hopefully they have been up front with these guys so we don't get more looking elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              sounds like a mess. Hopefully they have been up front with these guys so we don't get more looking elsewhere.
                              No kidding. If everyone comes next year, they will have 17F and 9D with no defections. The mess is the next year, they have 23 F and 11D with no defections. That will be what I call a mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                It's just over two weeks until the early signing period opens up, which raises some questions as to how the Badgers will proceed. With Seamus, Tischke, Johnson, Freytag, Zirbel, and Bunz graduating plus Ranta not coming in, I'd think the Badgers could ink up to 5 players on max scholarships, or perhaps more with some partial rides. Obviously they want to sign Turcotte and Caufield right away, but after that there are questions. Personally I think Owen Lindmark will be signed as well. If Aleksi Peltonen is coming in, it would seem to be next year as he turns 21 in June, although I'd think he's on a minimum deal. After that there are 5 more F's that could be eligible to sign, De Saint Phalle is probably the flashiest of the group that includes Almquist, Stevens, Bohlin, and Helgeson. So that totals 9 F's eligible for what is likely to be six total spots. I think 3 are taken by the NTDP guys, leaving 3 for the remaining 6. Question is do they sign any now or wait until spring to see who develops the best over the year? And if they do wait on some of these guys, do they risk a situation like with Cruikshank, where a good player looks elsewhere when he isn't offered in the early signing period?

On D it's almost a certainty that they have to bring in two. That could easily turn into 3 or 4 depending on Kalynuk's and Miller's year. If Kalynuk has a great year, it may very well be his last, and Miller, as a 1st round pick, is going to be at risk to sign no matter how his year goes. La Master has yet to play a USHL game as he's been injured, (don't know the details) and Vorlicky will be playing he senior year at Edina. Brady Smith is a good albeit undersized player, but at the higher levels he's struggled to show any of the dominant offensive talent he displayed as a Bantam. So do they ink any of these guys early? I don't know. Still begging for Cam York as he would be a perfect fit for the Badgers situation. No idea if we're even in the running though.

So this is the situation: 5 full scholarships at least, 3 I think will probably go to the NTDP players, but what will they do with the others? Sit and wait, or lock in a few of the remaining 12 options, and if so, which ones?
                                Is Leyh able to come next year? He is eligible for the NHL Draft. He is a guy you would sign. Could be that it's simply the 5 guys on the Central Scouting List assuming they are all coming in...Caufield, Turcotte, Lindmark, Leyh, Stange.
                                Last edited by DPlaya; 10-24-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X