Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 228

Thread: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    477

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    It was an academic issue per a source.

    Couldnt get in to UW and Minnesota has low entrance requirements. Thus the reason they have been referred to for year by UW students as a "Safety School"

  2. #102
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
    It was an academic issue per a source.

    Couldnt get in to UW and Minnesota has low entrance requirements. Thus the reason they have been referred to for year by UW students as a "Safety School"
    Thanks, I'm kind of surprised. I always figured they were close to the UW in that regard, with reciprocity and all (if that is still an option). Not to make a kid play somewhere he doesn't want to, but what ****ing good is an NLI or is it just another form of a verbal committment? What happens if a school pulls out of an NLI?

    I check the Minnesota board occasionally and they have been very quiet (dare I say respectful?) regarding Sampo. Except for Rabid Gopher who came here trolling from his mother's basement.
    The Rock -- Kessel 2020.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,874
    Quote Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
    It was an academic issue per a source.

    Couldnt get in to UW and Minnesota has low entrance requirements. Thus the reason they have been referred to for year by UW students as a "Safety School"
    How could it be academic this late in the game? How is this suddenly coming to light this late??? There is 0 chance this was unknown until last week.

  4. #104
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    If a kid can't get admitted, there is no NLI anymore. If a kid with an NLI gets admitted and wants out, he would have to sit a year before playing for another school. (or get released with permission) A school essentially can't pull out of an NLI agreement, it's a guaranteed deal.

    If it was his TOEFL which is what was first reported, and notwithstanding the opinion that it's easy if you speak English, he likely had a score done high enough for UMTC (79) but not high enough for UW (95-105) He could have enrolled in a summer English class and been admitted with a passing score, but he went back to Finland and played on the Finn WJ team this summer instead. He could then have planned on taking the test again after that was finished. Maybe he did and still didn't hit the score, or maybe he declined to retake it upon finding he could go to the goofs. Can't make him retake it and can't admit him without the score. These are two the most likely scenarios that fit and explain the timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  5. #105
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,022

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    How could it be academic this late in the game? How is this suddenly coming to light this late??? There is 0 chance this was unknown until last week.
    Waiting until UM released Hurley so they had scholarship money for him seems like a possibility.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,874
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Waiting until UM released Hurley so they had scholarship money for him seems like a possibility.
    Whatís hurleyís deal? I donít know anything about him?

  7. #107
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Whatís hurleyís deal? I donít know anything about him?
    Connor Hurley is Cullen Hurley's brother. Played 3 years at Notre Dame and (after possibly running into some academic trouble) made a deal last year with Lucia to sit a year and transfer to UM for his Senior year. That fell through with Motzko this summer although there's lot's of speculation and little info surrounding it. Seems as likely Hurley himself decided not to come back as he wasn't at Sabre's pro camp this summer either. In any case it seems it was a late development.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Thanks, I'm kind of surprised. I always figured they were close to the UW in that regard, with reciprocity and all (if that is still an option). Not to make a kid play somewhere he doesn't want to, but what ****ing good is an NLI or is it just another form of a verbal committment? What happens if a school pulls out of an NLI?

    I check the Minnesota board occasionally and they have been very quiet (dare I say respectful?) regarding Sampo. Except for Rabid Gopher who came here trolling from his mother's basement.
    Not going to speak for other Gopher fans, but I donít think this is something to gloat over. Obviously this helps us, but the shoe could easily be on the other foot in the future. As others have said, your two 5 star recruits are coming in next season, so this is just a speed bump for you guys. I am still excited about this rivalry the next 5+ years. Should be some great hockey to watch!

  9. #109
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,957

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Not going to speak for other Gopher fans, but I donít think this is something to gloat over. Obviously this helps us, but the shoe could easily be on the other foot in the future. !
    Somehow UW did end up with Baker, though it wasn't this late of a change.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  10. #110
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Not going to speak for other Gopher fans, but I donít think this is something to gloat over. Obviously this helps us, but the shoe could easily be on the other foot in the future. As others have said, your two 5 star recruits are coming in next season, so this is just a speed bump for you guys. I am still excited about this rivalry the next 5+ years. Should be some great hockey to watch!
    I agree. The world isn't right if WI and MN aren't kicking everybody's asses, including each other's.
    The Rock -- Kessel 2020.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I agree. The world isn't right if WI and MN aren't kicking everybody's asses, including each other's.
    Amen to that!

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,529

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    We can gloat because the old staff probably wouldn't have pulled it off, just like they wouldn't have got Perbix to flip which seems like the next news.

  13. #113
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    We can gloat because the old staff probably wouldn't have pulled it off, just like they wouldn't have got Perbix to flip which seems like the next news.
    So you gloat about the staff poaching players?
    Really?
    If Perbix flips...that's 7 guys now.
    That's not something to gloat over...Bob's integrity sure left when he left the Huskies.

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,537

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Not going to speak for other Gopher fans, but I don’t think this is something to gloat over. Obviously this helps us, but the shoe could easily be on the other foot in the future. As others have said, your two 5 star recruits are coming in next season, so this is just a speed bump for you guys. I am still excited about this rivalry the next 5+ years. Should be some great hockey to watch!
    This is a message board. Of course people will gloat and troll fans from other teams. The days of 50 page game threads may be over, that had opposing fans either sandbagging or predicting massive sweeps may be gone. But opposing fans need to keep some of the reason for hating the other team intact to keep things interesting. IF we all start looking at the other teams and their fans as humans just like us, and the player as kids just giving it their best, and not accepting that the opposing fans are all lying jerks and players cheap-shotting, cheating, punks, what fun will it be watching the games?

  15. #115
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    This is a message board. Of course people will gloat and troll fans from other teams. The days of 50 page game threads may be over, that had opposing fans either sandbagging or predicting massive sweeps may be gone. But opposing fans need to keep some of the reason for hating the other team intact to keep things interesting. IF we all start looking at the other teams and their fans as humans just like us, and the player as kids just giving it their best, and not accepting that the opposing fans are all lying jerks and players cheap-shotting, cheating, punks, what fun will it be watching the games?

    Yes, I agree this Gopher's post is on the money.

    Although considering that and the fact that it consists of generally coherent and correct English language usage, one obviously can conclude it's plagiarized. (That means copied from someone else for all you dirty goof numskulls trying to keep up.)

    I had high hopes for Sampo -- hard worker, big shot, and can really fly -- but I'm pretty sure a week or so of hanging around with all those cake eaters on the goof roster will have him spending his shift coasting tiny circles in the neutral zone to avoid contact while checking his phone to see whether Gucci has a line of skates coming out yet. Too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,537

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Yes, I agree this Gopher's post is on the money.

    Although considering that and the fact that it consists of generally coherent and correct English language usage, one obviously can conclude it's plagiarized. (That means copied from someone else for all you dirty goof numskulls trying to keep up.)

    I had high hopes for Sampo -- hard worker, big shot, and can really fly -- but I'm pretty sure a week or so of hanging around with all those cake eaters on the goof roster will have him spending his shift coasting tiny circles in the neutral zone to avoid contact while checking his phone to see whether Gucci has a line of skates coming out yet. Too bad.
    Ok, I'll try to write the next one down to a level that Wisconsin fans can understand, but I'm not sure how to draw pictures on here.

  17. #117
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Ok, I'll try to write the next one down to a level that Wisconsin fans can understand, but I'm not sure how to draw pictures on here.
    Use the Crayolas that the Minnesota Community College (aka UM) issues when they admit everybody. Crayolas are crayons. They are kind of a waxy writing utensil, uh, nevermind. Just go to FleetFarm and get some spray paint you guys use on bridges and watertowers. 😉

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    477

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    So you gloat about the staff poaching players?
    Really?
    If Perbix flips...that's 7 guys now.
    That's not something to gloat over...Bob's integrity sure left when he left the Huskies.
    Wasn't it Bob that got heated with Montgomery over flipping Guttman?

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,529

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

    Gentleman's agreement was a joke, and Bob's finally at a school where he can steal instead of get stolen from. God forbid we let kids change their minds on a decision they made when they were 16.

  20. #120
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Gentleman's agreement was a joke, and Bob's finally at a school where he can steal instead of get stolen from. God forbid we let kids change their minds on a decision they made when they were 16.
    I'm sure you would be saying the same if the Gophers were the ones being stolen from...
    Integrity still matters...except at the U.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •