Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Sad Panda
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Palodichuk committed via Twitter a bit ago.

Losing a player like Sampo falls on the coaches and these coaches are getting paid a lot of money. These kind of mistakes canít happen and then have him going to the Gophers is a killer. If Tony is in charge of the program then it falls with him but itís most likely on the assistant coaches. We know Oz is in charge of the D and the fishing expeditions. So what does Strobel do? Not the D or Forwards, so I would assume the Academics fall with him. Looks very bad but Iím optimistic for the season.

Craving Championchips

Wassup BADges!?!?!?

How recruiting going?
    National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Any fanbase that thinks Ski U Mah and row the boat are great ways to cheer on their team, welll....I guess you'd have to have rabies.

Jesus...could be worse I guess.

Quentin Cepheus and Danny Davis...unpucking real!

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
    Wassup BADges!?!?!?

How recruiting going?
    Spellcheck is your friend.

Time to go upstairs, *****. You're mother is calling you for dinner. She prepared your favorite...Cheetos.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 08-20-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    The Rock -- Kessel 2020.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Quote Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post

He's 15, as we know a lot can happen these days. Wake me up in 3 years when he makes a decision.

Sad Panda
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    He's 15, as we know a lot can happen these days. Wake me up in 3 years when he makes a decision.
    I put him on the sheet. Maybe I should call it the tentative sheet for now?

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    I put him on the sheet. Maybe I should call it the tentative sheet for now?
    I think you have him a year too early. He's 15 so the earliest is '21-'22 when he'll be 18.

FWIW and I know it's been speculated on otherwise, but I can hardly imagine a scenario where Lindmark isn't a Badger next year. He's going to be a fairly high draft pick.

Lastly I agree that commit news, now with 14-15 year olds, isn't as fun to follow as it used to be. Sure, a kid might be fantastic, but it's so far off and so much can happen that it's just not as exciting as when they were generally only a year away. Even one year away players aren't as fun as they used to be back when a commit was pretty iron clad. Now it just makes you nervous all year. I'm reminded that Turcotte was picked in the 2nd round of the OHL draft by Saginaw, for example... That's a pretty high spot for a guy that's "for sure" going NCAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Sad Panda

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I think you have him a year too early. He's 15 so the earliest is '21-'22 when he'll be 18.
    Updated. My math was poor on that one. You're right on the '21-'22.

from the Monsignor over at Buckyville....

"I complained about this (Ranta situation) to a good friend of mine who is an Assistant Dean in L&S. She is not in admissions, but she is familiar with the standards. She was a little skeptical. She said that if the guy can speak English, the only way he could have failed the UW standard on the TOEFL was if he essentially could not read English at all. She speculates, without having any knowledge, that something else is involved here.

She has worked with athletes to keep them eligible (even got some kudos from CPC on one of the football players she helped) so she knows what is going on. She also was not surprised that a student who could not get into UW immediately got admitted at Minnesota, especially a hockey player."

She also was not surprised that a student who could not get into UW immediately got admitted at Minnesota, especially a hockey player."
    My daughter had the opposite happen - admitted right away to Wisconsin (and also Michigan) but was wait listed at Minnesota. No sports involved...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    My daughter had the opposite happen - admitted right away to Wisconsin (and also Michigan) but was wait listed at Minnesota. No sports involved...
    Not surprised there is a long waiting list for Tunneling Program @MN. UW and UM not so much.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Let's go RED!

"I complained about this (Ranta situation) to a good friend of mine who is an Assistant Dean in L&S. She is not in admissions, but she is familiar with the standards. She was a little skeptical. She said that if the guy can speak English, the only way he could have failed the UW standard on the TOEFL was if he essentially could not read English at all. She speculates, without having any knowledge, that something else is involved here.
    So in other words, the TOEFL issue is purely fake news that gave Sampo the narrative that he could justifiably go to MN in the public eye, when in fact it was a lie and Motzco simply pulled him from UW in the 11th hr, which if true is a total pile a steaming crap. All pure speculation, what other plausible reasons are there? TG needs to tell the tale.

Sad Panda

TG needs to tell the tale.
    He never will. Not a chance.

This is all part of the business now, and they'll keep these tales inside the family of coaches.

"
    I'd be interested on her thoughts on the timing...shouldn't all results/admissions criteria have been settled long ago, or does it really come down to the last week like this?

If something else were involved, that could make a little bit more sense - although would the coaches really be so quick to let him transfer if it was something else? I'm generally of the mindset that the student athlete should be allowed to go where they want/transfers be less restrictive - but this would be an example of why maybe they shouldn't be 100% open if they are signing letters of intent and then going elsewhere without ever being on campus. Kids/young adults need to learn there are some consequences to decisions they make.

Not to put a feather in my cap, but I've been saying here and Buckyville that there MUST be something else going on and I stand by it.

The kid speaks almost perfect English, barely has an accent, and has been in Sioux City for 2 years.

I'm not pointing fingers yet.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 08-22-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Not surprised there is a long waiting list for Tunneling Program @MN. UW and UM not so much.
    "Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 08-22-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Not to put a feather in my cap, but I've been saying here and Buckyville that there MUST be something else going on and I stand by it.

The kid speaks almost perfect English, barely has an accent, and has been in Sioux City for 2 years.

I'm not pointing fingers yet.
    So what other answer is there other than he changed his mind then and asked to be released?

Sad Panda

So what other answer is there other than he changed his mind then and asked to be released?
    I really don't think there is any.

At the end of the day, they're all very young people who are trying to make decisions about their future. They get advise from lots of different people and get pulled in various different directions. Who knows if an advisor said to him that he should look somewhere else? Things like that seem a good deal more common and, more often than not, the athlete just wants to play their sport so they can be swayed from one thing to another.

Thread Information